The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

border9
Addict
Addict

Post by border9 »

Besides, on a further note, i know the owners of the network, so if anything gets to far out of hand, i can have it taken care of :)

please consider, it will be alot easier then using AIM to chat on.
Welcome to my w0rld :P
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

Alright, GAIM is pissing me off.

It won't load fonts, which makes it crash (a dos window pops up & says a bunch of crap and then when I close the dos window, BAM, Gaim is gone)

It crashes randomly on it's own....

I really like the programme, but...It's crashing a lot kids.
~Kate~
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Kate,

Let's see if your friends call you a weirdo if you take either one of those skills (theater or computers) and turn them into a profitable career. Except for those individuals who straightened out their lives and went on to become lawyers and doctors, most of those people that used to pick on me for being a "geek" or a "nerd" are still in smallville, USA making $12/hr and are buried in debt.

There may be other girls on here, but I think you are the only won that has decided to make their gender known. For some reason most people assume that because this is a technologically based forum, we only get guys on here. At compaq, I mostly worked with female developers.......so there goes that theory about men and programming code.....
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Kate and everyone else,

Is there any reason why you must quite using AIM+ and the pre-5.0 version of AOL Instant Messenger. I am perfectly happy using the older version. They typing indicator is the only thing that would've really motivated me to upgrade. Themes and a new smilies aren't enough for me to upgrade. I tend to type in complete sentences so I don't need a lot of help getting my point across (that comes from a mom who insisted I learn to type when I was in 2nd grade).
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

GAIM for Windows is currently alpha. That means it's not devolped well enough to even call it a beta yet. Once it's actually usable, I might try it if AIM+ for AIM 5.x isn't out.

Someone actually types in completes sentences on AIM? I usually don't unless the person I'm talking to has already said "?" and I need to clearify.
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

harra wrote:Kate and everyone else,

Is there any reason why you must quite using AIM+ and the pre-5.0 version of AOL Instant Messenger. I am perfectly happy using the older version. They typing indicator is the only thing that would've really motivated me to upgrade. Themes and a new smilies aren't enough for me to upgrade. I tend to type in complete sentences so I don't need a lot of help getting my point across (that comes from a mom who insisted I learn to type when I was in 2nd grade).
I hate the ads and want other features. That, and it's a silent stand against AOL.
~Kate~
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

harra wrote:Kate,

Let's see if your friends call you a weirdo if you take either one of those skills (theater or computers) and turn them into a profitable career. Except for those individuals who straightened out their lives and went on to become lawyers and doctors, most of those people that used to pick on me for being a "geek" or a "nerd" are still in smallville, USA making $12/hr and are buried in debt.

There may be other girls on here, but I think you are the only won that has decided to make their gender known. For some reason most people assume that because this is a technologically based forum, we only get guys on here. At compaq, I mostly worked with female developers.......so there goes that theory about men and programming code.....
I'm mostly just being goofy :P ... I agree with the 1st paragraph in your statement, and just want to point out that I wasn't being sexist, just...noting something eneteraining to me.
~Kate~
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

blahman,

IMHO, Compaq is no longer around because like most big businesses they forgot what made them big and successful......their human resources. They started focusing more on the bottom line and stopped innovating. They didn't take a chance on anything. 10 years ago you could get a job at compaq straight out of high school if you had the skills. Now they required Double E's (slang for an Electrical Engineering degree). My dad said that there was a time when a hiring manager had the ability to just interview someone and decide that they were trainable and bring them on board and teach them what they need to know. Now they hire someone who has a piece of paper, but no products to support their claims. I was let go from Compaq because I refused to get a college degree but had multiple programs to my name to prove I knew what I was doing.

Ray

P.S. I know you were joking in your statement but I have been wanting to vent about my former employer.
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

SparkleSatine wrote:
harra wrote:Kate and everyone else,

I hate the ads and want other features. That, and it's a silent stand against AOL.
But there's some great new features in 5.x, for example you can now go to away status just by clicking a link, and the link can include the text of your away message too! ;) I really don't understand the use of such a feature, but I've seen links in some peoples profiles that are aim:goaway?message=soAndSo+rockorz or stuff like that.

Really, I think if AIM added good logging I'd consider upgrading and using some other program for removing ads. I doubt AIM will add logging any time soon, but I heard something about logging in AIM 4.4 (it might have been hidden in the DLL's) so they may be considering it.
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

Beh. AOL just needs a chunk cut out of them. They're HORRIBLE programmers and write a terrible programme...

I'm against Microsoft too, so if anyone comes up with ways around that (that people USE...poor Linux. So left in the dust), let me know! ;)
~Kate~
Marth and Roy

Post by Marth and Roy »

Can anyone tell me the last version that AIM worked with on AIM+. even with all the histroy log and that stuff i mean like everything. was is 4.8 or before. also can sumone tell me how/where i can get that versoin. i would much rather have AIM+ than the new AIM.

Also what other AIM ad on programs are out there can anyone give me a name and/or site so i can check sum out.

Lastly i honestly think that they SHOULD NOT give us a list of features that were going to be on 3.0 because that would make everyone want it more and certian people would beg and beg and beg (you get the point) and it would pressure and annoy Mark and Ryan. thats just my oppion :roll:
D-D-Di-Did I-I-I St-St-Studder?.
Hoked on Fonics worcks for I!!!
Marth and Roy
Pscott
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Pscott »

anyone know of a good alternative to aim plus that gets rid of the ads since we have no more aim plus and i cant wait another year for them to come out with aim+ 3.0 :( :( :( :(

thanks,
Paul
gus

Post by gus »

about not telling the features..

well, yeah, but either way, they dont seem to care about the pressure now :wink: (from everyone asking all those questions and all,and after all, everyone is already begging) and if they're just gonna scrap the whole thing, why not tell the things they had planned so that someone else can try to pick up these otherwise unused ideas? the concept is great after all

but o well
Last edited by gus on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Marth and Roy,

you can go to www.oldversion.com to get an older version of AOL Instant Messenger that works with AIM+. I think this URL will take you directly to their download http://www.oldversion.com/download.php? ... 0b417e3561.

The last version to work with AIM+ was the 4.8 version.[/url]
Marth and Roy

Post by Marth and Roy »

AOLs a bitch they over charge and everytime they come out with a new version it has a bug on it until they get it out on CD. And i hate that Gates threw the X box out there just to get into another field of competion. I wont by one just because he made it.
thats all that i can think of to say right now
D-D-Di-Did I-I-I St-St-Studder?.
Hoked on Fonics worcks for I!!!
Marth and Roy