How much does every know about computers?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

how much do you know about computer

I can make them jump though hoops
30%
I can fix most problems
39%
I know enough to get in to real trouble
22%
I am average
4%
I know how to open stuff up
4%

Total votes: 23

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I guess I have a fair knowledge of computers, but I lack a little bit in the Windows department. My real knowledge lies in Macintosh systems. I know just about everything from Mac OS 9.2.2 and below, including how to use ResEdit and program (a bit) in Macintosh Assembly Language (that's a step up from machine language). I also know a bit of C/C++ (mostly for Windows, interestingly enough). But mostly I work in Mac and Unix systems (FreeBSD, generally, though a bit of Linux and other *nix flavors). I also do a lot of graphics with Photoshop and I do a lot of video editing (Avid, Premiere, and Apple iMovie -- which really rocks for a free video editing app).

Once upon a time, I planned on being a programmer, but I realized two things: one, I didn't want to sit around and program all day; and two, I hated math with a passion. :) So I dropped that and found my true calling, which is creative fields. I plan on majoring in Film or English Creative Writing in college, and I do a lot with film, so naturally I have a lot of experience with digital editing -- hence why I use Macs more often than not.
btvillarin
Addict
Addict

Post by btvillarin »

I think I know a decent amount, pretty good for just picking it up little by little. Ever since the start of H.S., I wanted my cheezy Packard Bell to run smoothly. I hated all the junk that was included, and soon figured how to clean install and find the drivers used on the Restore CD. By the time I was about to graduate, I finally jumped in a built my own computer...and I never looked back.

Since then, I've built 4 computers for people/friends. I help troubleshoot computer problems (majority being on Windows-based systems) through my website and forums.

This is my 3rd year in college, but I'm struggling with General Ed. I'm going to transfer back to Cal Poly Pomona and change majors to CIS (Computer Information Systems) instead of Computer Engineering. I'm not that good at math, and I just want to help with troubleshooting computers, and whatever else comes along with it. I'm not that much into programming.

Websites: I still consider myself new. My site (btvillarin.com) is really simple, but I'm just trying to incorporate CSS into it. I'm also trying to learn PHP as well, but I haven't had the time to really jump in.

:)

Bryan
Bryan T. Villarin
btvillarin.com | My System Rig
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

I like to build computers, take them apart, and other stuff like that. I also overclock stuff alot, and try to make my computer faster than everyone else's so I can brag about it. Then again, I don't have any money, so I'm in a dilemma....
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

...I like to fix "stuff."
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Well the way they set up the server using Novell they let us have "locker spaces" where we can store homework etc. so we just copied and pasted a bunch of folders and then when the sever tried to back itself up it crashed.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

DADINK13 wrote:...I like to fix "stuff."
Please stop saying "stuff".. unless of course you're actually going to tell us what you are talking about.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

xWastedMindx wrote:Please stop saying "stuff".. unless of course you're actually going to tell us what you are talking about.
LOL, I was waiting for somebody to say something about that one. :lol:

Actually, there is very little I can fix about anything. I can troubleshoot most computer problems, perform more than just routine maintanence on cars, repair and rebuild bikes, fix Nintendos( :o ), and just about anythine else mechanical, electrical, or electronic.

And if I can't fix it..that's what duct tape is for! :lol:
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I grew up with computers. My dad is in the "industry". He started with NCR, then worked for Data General, then Compaq. Now he's on the unemployment line as a casualty of the Compaq/HP "merger" (a fancy word for being bought out). The ironic thing is that I no more than him. But, he's the one who got me on the programming kick. He was a driver programmer "back in the day".

I have built and re-built multiple PC's for people. Unfortunately, when it comes to knowing what harware to install I lack the skills of knowing what is quality and what is crap. I still rely on my friends that know more about what is what when it comes to this stuff. I am learning though. I am good at debugging and fixing the hardware though.

My main passion is programming, but I don't have much time to learn knew stuff because I work about 60-70 hours a week, sleep all day Saturday, and vegitate on Sunday....lol
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

If the duct tape doesn't work I just get out a can of WD-40.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

rocket733 wrote:If the duct tape doesn't work I just get out a can of WD-40.
I'd hate to see a situation where duct tape is not sufficient.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Michael wrote:I'd hate to see a situation where duct tape is not sufficient.
The only thing duct tape can't fix is a broken heart. 8)
collegegrrl

Post by collegegrrl »

i like to pretend i know a whole lot about comptuers. i know enough that it's my current major (we'll see about that...i'm only a second-semester frosh), and i get a huge kick out of being one of very few chicks in the CPT department at my school (IUPUI, a division of IU and Purdue combined)...and i'm the one all the girls on my dorm floor run to when their computers flip out on them. :D

i've had a year each of VB and visual C++ in high school, and i taught myself enough HTML to make a decent website. now i'm taking a web design for business course, so i get to learn even more and start doing java. i also have done stuff in qbasic back when all we had was a DOS machine, but i don't think that counts.

hardware is definitely not my forte, although i've helped out my high school with some cd and RAM upgrades. i just don't have the money to build my own yet, nor do i really have the knowledge. programming definitely isn't my thing...in c++ all our programs were unofficial group projects :wink: ...so right now i think i want to do networks but we'll see.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

collegegrrl wrote:IUPUI
lol...it's a palindrome! 8)

Yea, I notice the dumbest things.. :lol: