Save Away Messages to external file...

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

SlvrChaos

Save Away Messages to external file...

Post by SlvrChaos »

How about a way either to save your away messages on request from a menu to an external file (just like saving your buddy list...".blt") to a ".awm" file or something... that or make it so they are saved to a file automatically.. when you create them.. I always lose my away messages when I reformat... or do something crazy like that..... just a thought...
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

nice idea, plus, I have a work and personal machine, would be nice to have a way to import and export other then using regedit export and import capabilities
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

It's always bothered me a bit that AIM lets you export/import some preferences/settings, but not the others. I would like to exactly duplicate 100% of my settings on all of my screennames, but the built in "Save Buddy List" feature will only copy so much. It definitely would be much nicer to have an option to copy EVERY setting to a new machine, new screenname, or whatever :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

There is a way to copy your away messages, but it involves exporting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\Current Version\Users\insert screenname here\IAmGoneList from the registry. Then after you reformat your computer and reinstall AIM, you should be able to just double click the file and the away messages you exported should be restored. You could probably do this for all of your preferences as well, and now I'm thinking that maybe Ryan (or Mark or Dan) could figure out a way to implement a menu option that would automate this process for the user.

-Tom