I tried it and it sucked so I don't use it anymore
No votes
I've never used it
54%

Total votes: 41

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

idejsecrofkrad,

Do you know if you got points from me signing up? I did sign up by clicking on your link, but it did not seem as if it actually signed up as a referral (after clicking your link it went directly to www.neopets.com (or whatever it is) so inless it was masking the url I am not sure how it was done (maybe IP?).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Big-O Ryan wrote:
idejsecrofkrad wrote:I'm really reluctant to do some of the things I've been thinking of because I've spent alot of time on this, but I'm not getting anything in return. All I asked is for a referral from anyone that uses it. It only takes like a minute. I'm considering putting a link on every page the program generates that can't be removed until the user signs up.
If I've learned anything from Big-O Software, it would have to be that writing free software is not a great way to get money or prizes.

I'm in no way being sarcastic or silly, either -- I think that people inherently feel that if they do something good, they will be rewarded. This may be true, but in the case of free software, it isn't likely that your reward will be tangible -- in fact, you're probably lucky to even receive thanks for your efforts.

If you really want something for your software, you probably need to ask for it very clearly -- I'd guess that you might even have to demand/require it, but I can't speak with any authority on that. Requesting in the forums may not be as effective as requesting in the software (first-time popup, about box, or a real shareware-like registration code).

That said, best of luck with whatever you choose to do. :) You did a nice job with your history viewer. You're probably at the point where you've done what you set out to do, and you're left supporting features and troubles that affect other people much more than you. Pouring sweat and time into something with no return gets tiresome, and very few people seem to understand that -- but I sympathize. 8) Try to find a way to enjoy some part of the process, or it's not worth the bother..
I already have a one-time pop-up that asks users if they want to sign up. I've considered requiring a registration key, but nothing would stop someone from posting a valid one on these boards. I've considered doing something else also: putting a referral link every 10-20 lines or so in all the merged or parsed logs which would only be removed when someone gives me a referral and gets a registration from me personally that I would generate from their OS, IP address (or MAC address) and/or some other unique info. That way no one would be able to share their registration, but I think people will then just decide not to use it rather than give me the referral.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

aclauser wrote:idejsecrofkrad,

Do you know if you got points from me signing up? I did sign up by clicking on your link, but it did not seem as if it actually signed up as a referral (after clicking your link it went directly to www.neopets.com (or whatever it is) so inless it was masking the url I am not sure how it was done (maybe IP?).
It redirects to the main page as soon as you click the link and gives your computer a cookie that will tell the site I referred you when you signed up. I have 7 referrals right now. I got the 7th one yesterday (I think). I don't know whether it was you or not.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well this was a while (week or two), so I bet (I hope) I gave you one.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
B-ker ITK

Post by B-ker ITK »

I just signed up with neopets, dude.
panicwagon
Just Registered
Just Registered

Question about Options error and Password

Post by panicwagon »

My Options wont open and what is the default password for the program?
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Ok...I have 11 referrals now. I'm going to post the update when I get a chance. I've also been notified that I forgot to include TABCTL32 in the required files package. I'm going to add that too. I've been gone all weekend and I have alot of homework to do before tomorrow. I'll probably post the stuff at around 6 or 7 pm EST (I have school until 5).
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

hey I just got around to downloading it and I plan to use it tommorrow. I will give you a referal. Oh and Thank you
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
yOOnsk
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by yOOnsk »

i was wondering if there was a way to password-lock one user's history.. so that for instance, my sister can't view the AIM history of my screenname and so i can't view hers
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

yOOnsk wrote:i was wondering if there was a way to password-lock one user's history.. so that for instance, my sister can't view the AIM history of my screenname and so i can't view hers
No, there isn't user-specific password locking and I don't intend to add it in the future. To program it would be more trouble than it's worth.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Could you tell me why it clones when I try to open the history viewer (yours). It does not matter how I open it. It has happen for a long time (mutiple versions). Thanks for any help.

Windows 2000 Pro
AIM 4.8 AND 5.2.x
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

aclauser wrote:Could you tell me why it clones when I try to open the history viewer (yours). It does not matter how I open it. It has happen for a long time (mutiple versions). Thanks for any help.

Windows 2000 Pro
AIM 4.8 AND 5.2.x
That used to happen because of an error in the installer, but I thought I fixed that. Does it clone AIM as soon as the installation is complete? I ran the installer on my computer and it works fine.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It clones any time I try to open the viewer. This only seems to happen on this computer :-? (I have 2 others computers it works fine on). My other computer runs Win 2000, and the second other one runs XP, so I don't think its the OS.

I was thinking maybe a corrupt dll?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

aclauser wrote:It clones any time I try to open the viewer. This only seems to happen on this computer :-? (I have 2 others computers it works fine on). My other computer runs Win 2000, and the second other one runs XP, so I don't think its the OS.

I was thinking maybe a corrupt dll?
I don't know. My program doesn't do anything that should start a clone.
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Hey, I just tried to open the History Viewer and I got an error saying

"Runtime Error '372':

Failed to load control 'CommandDialog' from COMDLG32.OCX. Your version of COMDLG32.OCX may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application."

I'm going to try reinstalling the History Viewer, but I thought it was weird because I have successfully used it before.