Hackers

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

jester22c wrote:If he is asking questions about IP addresses I doubt he could get himself into any trouble by "hacking" anyway
Well, you know, script kiddies are pretty good at reading how-to's on websites of real hackers...
rexfarms
Addict
Addict

Post by rexfarms »

It was theoretical. And even if I was going to hack, do you think I would be posting about it on here?
-Nicholas
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Michael wrote: Well, you know, script kiddies are pretty good at reading how-to's on websites of real hackers...
how-to's... yes these are also created by script kiddies. Real hackers don't waste their time explaining their tricks of the trade to the rest of the world.

I'm glad to hear that you were speaking in a theoretical sense rex :)
:D
rexfarms
Addict
Addict

Post by rexfarms »

I wouldnt even know how to hack if I could!
-Nicholas
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

jester22c wrote:Real hackers don't waste their time explaining their tricks of the trade to the rest of the world.
I don't know if I completely agree with that. Cracking is all about bragging rights.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Michael wrote:
jester22c wrote:Real hackers don't waste their time explaining their tricks of the trade to the rest of the world.
I don't know if I completely agree with that. Cracking is all about bragging rights.
Lets not get into this again... Hackers are the good guys if I remember correctly.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

PhaseDMA wrote:
Michael wrote:
Lets not get into this again... Hackers are the good guys if I remember correctly.
Anthony is right. Hackers are the good guys that's why Jester's quote is correct. Hackers don't typically discuss the "tricks" of the trade except in the appropriate locations (trade conferences, symposiums, etc), while Michael is right about "Crackers". They are in it for the bragging rights and the showboating. They most likely will have sites devoted to "tips and tricks". I believe there are even "cookbooks" out there for the cyberterrorists (aluding to the anarchist's cookbook which gained notoriety for helping people build bombs and stuff)
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Personally I think that if the nomenclature referring to people who either hack or crack is misused so often, I would think that "hackers" would just like to be called something else to be removed from the negative connation associated with "hacker" since it is misused so often.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

rocket733 wrote:Personally I think that if the nomenclature referring to people who either hack or crack is misused so often, I would think that "hackers" would just like to be called something else to be removed from the negative connation associated with "hacker" since it is misused so often.
I definately agree that both terms are used completely out of context majority wise. However as to being called something else... well no. The term hacker has been around much longer than the negative connotation that is now tacked on there. I consider myself a hacker and don't mind being called one as long as the person realizes that I am not malicious in any sense of the word. Hackers got their name long even before I joined the game back when they would manipulate coding and software to get it to do exactly what they needed it to do. They would essentially 'hack' the code to conform it to their needs. Propaganda is more to blame for the incorrent usage of the term than anything else. Such is life.
:D
rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

That's a good reason not to change, hopefully over time the efforts of many hackers will rid the term of its negative connation and then the average Joe won't have a hissy fit when he hears the term "hacker."