Encrypted AIM

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

lowtec

Encrypted AIM

Post by lowtec »

Definitely add encryption to the next release! I don't think it would be that hard and it would be a nice feature. Possibly allow users the choice of the encryption algorithm, the pw or key they wish to use, and maybe include encrypted file transfer. :)
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

When you encrypt information you have to decrypt it on the other end. Adding an encrypter would terribly confuse things. If you had the encrypter turned on only people with a version of AIM+ that supports encryption and had it enabled would be able to recieve IMs from you. So everyone without the newest version of AIM+ would be without. Including AOL. AIM transfers are surprisingly secure the way they are already anyway. Not a bad idea, but not very practical.
lowtec

Post by lowtec »

Not letting other people see your communications is the point!! Only those that have the same key / pw or have a signed public key would be able to view your IM.

Take a look at what these guys are doing
http://www.johnytech.com/home.asp
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Well if you're going for the "ultra top secret" then I suppose it might work but I know that I personally wouldn't use it. Say I have encrytion on and 2 friends of mine have it on too. Well we're talking online and then someone else on my buddy list IMs me... well I want to be able to reply to them but I can't because of the encrytion. If you are talking about security sensitive material then IMing each other in the first place isn't a good idea.
lowtec

Post by lowtec »

You could make the encryption be per window so that it wouldnt affect everyone on your list and you would still be able to chat with normal AIM users..
John Hasson
Just Registered
Just Registered

Encrypted AIM

Post by John Hasson »

Hi, I noticed the reference to johnytech.com and thought I'd drop a note. Thanks for the reference (whoever you are :) )

Anyways, our Encrypted AIM product handles all the concerns I've seen so far.

It is another window for entering text below the main chat window. You can have a different password per window. If a new IM comes up, you can easily communicate with that person unencrypted, (Just don't type in the "Encryption Window" -- if you Download the free version found at the link above, you'll quickly see what I mean.

If you are REALLY concerned about security (or are a business, etc.) There is a corporate version which uses an RSA key exchange so you don't even have to worry about both of you knowing the password. It is handled for you automatically after the first encrypted message. And yes it uses a different password for each chat window session open too. And you can still easily talk unencrypted to people that don't have Encrypted AIM.

Any ?'s feel free to let me know.

John Hasson

Oh yeah, the version where you and the other person have to type matching passwords is free, the other version mentioned only has a 30 day trial.