DeadAIM becoming part of AIM 6.0 ?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Jon8RFC wrote:timeless, is that the official statement word from jdennis that you posted, or was there another? I can't check that link because somebody banned me for some reason :/ I'm guessing it's because my password was "aimplus" hehe.
there is a way around being banned. make a new account with no real relaship 2 you with a email address to match. Now if you dont have a dynimitc IP I dont know what to say. You may just be SOL. It kind of nice sometime have an IP the changes all the time

Now back on topic. I have to agree DeadAIM creator is just selling out. First they made a huge mistake charging to for verson that was previsuly free then turning around and relieasing deadAIM 4.0 for 5 bucks. That ment some people had to pay 2 times. They should of just waited back then until 4.0 came out. Now with this AOL thing they are going to get a lot of crap from there big time users who paid for the software. The bad part is people did not find out from them but from other sourses
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
neenmo

Post by neenmo »

Why the hell would AOL set up a section of their for advertising, just so that they can buy anotgher program to be blocked?

something seems VERY fishy about this to me..
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

aaii wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:In a intresting twist a lot of the "prestigious" at the JDennis forums seem quite pissed (to put it lightly), and have stated they would not continue to use DeadAIM as their AIM add-on of choice.

Some have even stated they would rather fall back onto 4.8 and use AIM+...

I'm not saying this was a bad choice for JDennis in the long term, but this really isnt something you throw on your customer base... First a fee for the program (after people had been using a free version of that exact version for a while...) Then a new version, with a new price system, and now the ?buy out? of JDennis?

Just another reason why AIM+ remains a huge competitor in the AIM add-on field even almost after a year of no production.
Nothing has been posted about a buy out. I don't see how working with AOL is a bad thing. It does nothing but give credit to DeadAIM.

Working with AOL will allow DeadAIM to leave AIM+ even further behind. I don't see AOL contacting big-o.
Ya... Because JDennis is just going to hand their code over... Remember Nullsoft and AOL anyone?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

PhaseDMA wrote:Remember Nullsoft and AOL anyone?
I do.
aaii
Addict
Addict

Post by aaii »

PhaseDMA wrote:
aaii wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:In a intresting twist a lot of the "prestigious" at the JDennis forums seem quite pissed (to put it lightly), and have stated they would not continue to use DeadAIM as their AIM add-on of choice.

Some have even stated they would rather fall back onto 4.8 and use AIM+...

I'm not saying this was a bad choice for JDennis in the long term, but this really isnt something you throw on your customer base... First a fee for the program (after people had been using a free version of that exact version for a while...) Then a new version, with a new price system, and now the ?buy out? of JDennis?

Just another reason why AIM+ remains a huge competitor in the AIM add-on field even almost after a year of no production.
Nothing has been posted about a buy out. I don't see how working with AOL is a bad thing. It does nothing but give credit to DeadAIM.

Working with AOL will allow DeadAIM to leave AIM+ even further behind. I don't see AOL contacting big-o.
Ya... Because JDennis is just going to hand their code over... Remember Nullsoft and AOL anyone?
Your point being?
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

I finally realized that Timelessblur isn’t drunk, he's just retarded and can't type, spell, or use any sort of conventional English grammar.

AOL/AIM sees an add-on product that many people are willing to pay for, more than once, that a good number of people don't have the means to pay for. They say to themselves "hey lets give these people a lot of money, so we can put their features in our program and let everyone enjoy the features that some are willing and able to pay for" AOL is a good company because they take their millions of dollars, give some to an entrepreneur, and let everyone have more great features for free, instead of just stealing JDennis' code.

JDennis is a good company because while it might seem they are "selling out" to a corporate giant, they are economically benefitting themselves, while letting their once free features go back to being free, under the hands of AOL.

Unless you are a pessimistic computer geek who lives in your parents' basement and looks for any possible way to find fault in anything you can because that’s what your life consists of, you will see this "merger" as a good thing.
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't give serious thought to an approach from a company like M$ or AOL about buying my code or some kind of "working relationship". My goal in life is to become financially independant and able to retire at a decent age. What better way to get a jump start on that goal than to get a nice $$ deal with a big gun. I would care less if people felt I sold out because those people who are calling me a sell out would still be working for "the man". We are a capitalistic society.

I am still loyal to AIM+ and Big-O because the product is still free. I could care less if a product-for-a-fee is better. I don't have the money and I'm not so cavalier about using pirated software now that I have a family that would be "punished" for my greed.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

aaii wrote:
Your point being?
the point is, after aol bought winamp, winamp 3 totally sucked ass

i think that was the point
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Axilla wrote:I finally realized that Timelessblur isn’t drunk, he's just retarded and can't type, spell, or use any sort of conventional English grammar.
Nope. Wrong. He's dislexic. So just lay off him a bit dude.
aaii
Addict
Addict

Post by aaii »

Robpol86 wrote:
aaii wrote:
Your point being?
the point is, after aol bought winamp, winamp 3 totally sucked ass

i think that was the point
I believe that was merely a bad design choice. Hence the revertion to the WinAmp 2 platform.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

DADINK13 wrote:
Axilla wrote:I finally realized that Timelessblur isn’t drunk, he's just retarded and can't type, spell, or use any sort of conventional English grammar.
Nope. Wrong. He's dislexic. So just lay off him a bit dude.
Thank you Dadink. He put it much nicer than I would of
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Something Harra posted in the other thread that I want to respond 2 so I just moved it Hee Hee
harra wrote:I received a customer service survey from AOL about AIM and they asked if I would be willing to pay for services such as conversation logging and tabbed windows. Most likely they are going to encorporate those "features" from DeadAIM they feel "add" to their product. If you notice from the premature notice that was quoted from the AOL representative (if it wasn't a hoax) it sounds like the DeadAIM site will be deactivated once the two "merge". In other words, most likely DeadAIM will no longer exist as a product originally designed to remove ads
I do not think I would be willing to pay for logging for the simple reason is I can download software for free that can do it for me and for the same reason as the add remover. I think a lot of people would be pretty tick if AOL start charging for this add ons. Hell you all saw how tick everyone became when DeadAIM start charging. Lets just make that 10 time worse. The one thing that I really want right now is a real time logger. Right now I dont have one of those. I have a logger but it not real time (I sorry to say I went traitor and got DeadAIM as a replacement to AIM+ but it just a replacement for AIM+ since AIM 5.x has a few features that I have begun using more and more and have come to relay apon.)
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

DADINK13 wrote:Looks like JDennis sold out.

Who here hates sell-outs besides me?
You'd sell out too if somebody offered you enough money, and if you say you wouldn't, your either lying or you dont make good economic decisions.

Who here hates hypocrites besides me?
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

DADINK13 wrote:That is the official statement. You can see for yourself in JDennis's forums.
heh, the reason i asked is because i CAN'T read in the forums because im banned ;) (see above post)

Well, this whole thing makes AIM very intriguing as a worthwhile product from now on. If you all can recall, the latest STABLE and GOOD verison of AIM is 5.2.3139. AIM has released 5 new versions since then I believe, and each and every one of them has been incredibly horrible.

Another thing to consider is the instability of DeadAIM. They haven't had a verison that is stable enough to make everyone want to switch from AIM+. Kinda makes me wonder if any of us would even be able to get past the installation process when this new "feature-filled" (6.0?) version comes out. Hopefully it would be stable enough to permit installation, THEN we can have the program crash and allow us revert to an older, more stable, version of AIM...again...
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

I have not had any problems with DeadAIM that everyone else has had. The program is not that bad. But I would switch to AIM+3 in a heartbeat if it was released. If it had tabed IMs and realtime logging.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image