Getting AIM to work properly through a router

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Getting AIM to work properly through a router

Post by DADINK13 »

Hey everyone!
I've been having problems getting AIM to send files to people do to my broadband router on my cable modem. I was told by someone to change my port setting on my routers firewall to allow connections to go through, but it still doesnt work. Help?

Current Settings:
SMC Barricade SMC7004ABR broadband router running on a Motorolla Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
Trigger Port: 4099/TCP
Public Port 5190/TCP
Last edited by DADINK13 on Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

If you're trying to Direct Connect to someone that also has a router / hub setup,(meaning you have a cable modem) you wont be able to connect on most occasions. There are some times when you will able to connect, I dont know what causes it, or why. It is really strange though.

Me and all my friends in the neighborhood where I live, we all have Linksys routers, and we rarely are able to connect. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Well, I have problems with people that both have direct connections to the Internet AND other people behind routers. I dont know if it's a problem with AOL's protocol, or something else..I'm not that computer inclinded to know about the protocols and ports and what-not.. :-?
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

DADINK13 wrote:Well, I have problems with people that both have direct connections to the Internet AND other people behind routers. I dont know if it's a problem with AOL's protocol, or something else..I'm not that computer inclinded to know about the protocols and ports and what-not.. :-?
You might have to do some port forwarding.....the problem is figuring out which port to forward. Forwarding 5190 alone won't work, well, at least it didn't for me. You might want to try running "netstat" while trying to direct connect to see what port it is trying to use. Then just forward that port. Hope this helps.

-Tom
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I just thought of something..

A reason it might not work is if the person you're trying to connect to is already direct connected with someone else.

Does AIM allow more than 1 direct connection to different people at the same time ??? I've never had to do it myself. So i really dont know.
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

forget netstat.. use zonealarm.. it will alert you the ports :-D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I prefer Sygate.. but it's all matter of opinion.

And not to brag, but Sygate Personal Firewall has won some major awards in the past, and present.

*Cough*
Sygate wins 2002 World Class Award for best firewall from PC World.

Sygate Awarded PC Magazine Editor's Choice for Firewall Technology

ICSA Labs Certified

Reader Choice Award 2002 - Windows & .NET Magazine

And is the only Firewall to be Cisco Systems Verified. :D

I think all that speaks for itself. http://sygate.com
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I can't DC to anyone on AIM with my DSL (no router) at all... This is with firewall up and down. I don't know what causes it but I got over it a long time ago. I just email or upload depending on the size of the file.

Another weird thing... when I've been signed onto AIM for 24 hours on the dot it will reset my connection (disconnect me but I have it set to autoreconnect) everytime without fail. That is pretty annoying. I've been signed onto aim for over a week straight now but it will never read more than 24 hours because it keeps resetting itself. This too happens reguardless of my firewall state. /me is confused on this one...
:D
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Well I just DC with someone successfully... but I havn't tried sending files yet...
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

xWastedMindx wrote:I prefer Sygate.. but it's all matter of opinion.

And not to brag, but Sygate Personal Firewall has won some major awards in the past, and present.

*Cough*
Sygate wins 2002 World Class Award for best firewall from PC World.

Sygate Awarded PC Magazine Editor's Choice for Firewall Technology

ICSA Labs Certified

Reader Choice Award 2002 - Windows & .NET Magazine

And is the only Firewall to be Cisco Systems Verified. :D

I think all that speaks for itself. http://sygate.com
And don't forget to mention that it is free for home use!

I use Sygate Personal Firewall too, and I love it.
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Well I checked with AOL about this stuff, and the FAQ on the AIM website says something about setting your firewall to allow port 4443. Well I changed some settings on my firewall, but nothing. People can DC with me, but I can't DC with people. Basically if I send the request, it won't work. But if someone sends the request to me, it works. Weird I know.. :-?
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

well i have cable modem and i can direct connect to people (yes i do have a router) but one of my friends wont let me connect and it doesnt give the usual you are probably behind a firewall it is something different hwen she comes on i will try to connect to her then tell you what excatly it says
tone