AIM uses too much virtual mem

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

concernedUSER

AIM uses too much virtual mem

Post by concernedUSER »

Aim+ seems to be ok with RAM, but as far as virtual mem goes, there must be some kind of memory leak. After only a day running, Aim+ uses up to 150megs of VM. I tend to leave my computer on for months at a time, and after a week or so, aim+ occupies 600megs !

Can we get this fixed please! a patch or something for this version and to be sure to address the next version? thanks
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

What OS do you have?
How much RAM do you have?

Also, I may be wrong.. but your computers swap file (virtual memory) doesn't get used until all your RAM is filled up and used. And if you have tons of RAM, (1GB) it would be best just to turn off the VM. Your VM is just another temporary RAM, for when the RAM fills up, but the downside is that VM is much slower to access than the physical RAM.

Another point to mention, is if you have Windows 98, or even worse Windows 95, there is a "leak" in the kernal. If you leave your computer on for days at a time, computer performance will decrease signifigantly.
That was supposedly fixed in Windows ME.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Re: AIM+ uses too much damn virtual mem

Post by Big-O Mark »

concernedUSER wrote:Aim+ seems to be ok with RAM, but as far as virtual mem goes, there must be some kind of memory leak. After only a day running, Aim+ uses up to 150megs of VM. I tend to leave my computer on for months at a time, and after a week or so, aim+ occupies 600megs !

Can we get this fixed please! a patch or something for this version and to be sure to address the next version? thanks
We'll definitely need more info to try and track down exactly what is going on here. What OS are you running? What versions of AIM and AIM+ are you using?
-Mark
Big-O Software
concernedUSER

Post by concernedUSER »

Here are relavent specs:
Windows XP w/ SP1 (happens even w/o SP1)
Aim+ version 2.21 build 65
Aim version 4.8.2790
512MB RAM

The OS will determine what will go into VM and what goes into normal mem. Usually its true that VM gets used when RAM is filled up, but sometimes the OS will make a descision to put somethings into VM in order to conserve the highspeed RAM for other things.
concernedUSER

Post by concernedUSER »

hmm, day 4 and im pushing 400megs of VM from aim+ alone. I would think it has something to do w/ the way you guys log the convos. Perhaps you are writting to some buffer before to the disk, and this buffer doesnt get completley cleared?
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Perhaps it is a problem with your computer? I've never heard of this issue before, and while I suppose it could be AIM+, perhaps it is an issue with some other software in your computer. Furthermore, perhaps you could provide a screenshot of the readout of your memory allocation and usage?
dewin
Just Registered
Just Registered

Not AIM+?

Post by dewin »

If I'm not mistaken, there is a known memory leak with AIM itself in that verrsion. I've had issues with AIM taking up 200+ megs of VM (usually followed by a crash) even before I got addicted to this fancy addon (I think it was before at least) The memory leak had something to do with playing sounds if I'm not mistaken, so it seems to me that the easiest (but probably not best) way to test to see whether it might be an AIM+ problem or not would be to disable sounds entirely for a day or so and see if the leak goes away.

It's entirely possible it's not AIM+ that's to blame

-- dewin (who doesn't visit much, only once a week or so when he refers a friend to the goodness that is AIM+... now if only clone worked...)
[ an error occured while finding this signature ]
BomBoi

Post by BomBoi »

u can use those programs that refreshes the used memory :D
The 2489th member to join !
AMD 1.1 ghz
384 ram
40 gig
GForce 2 mx (32m)
Aureal Vortex 2
concernedUSER

Post by concernedUSER »

Hmmm... Is there a version of aim thats newer than the one I am using but still compatable with aim+ ?? IF there is could someone let me know where I can find it and I could try it out...

Here is the screenshot

Image[/img]
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Ok.. that is AIM using 308,672K of virtual memory..not AIM+.

And why the hell do you have 4 instances of Winamp running?? You would get alot of memory back if you kill 3 of those.

Sorry about you luck as well....running AOL. :lol: (waol.exe)
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That's definitely an AIM memory leak there. You can try running AIM without AIM+ for awhile if you'd like to make sure. The final 4.8x release of AIM still experienced a memory leak in Windows 2000 and XP, I still experience it myself while running AIM.
-Mark
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Is there a way to check those settings within Windows 98? The only ways I know of are the performance monitoring thingy you can install from the CD. Windows Setup under the Add/Remove Programs menu.

That and the Performance tab on the System Properties menu. Right clicking My Computer, and going Properties.

But do you know of any other ways to monitor Virtual Memory and the running processes as Windows 2000 / XP does ?
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

I have the exact same programs running as the orginal poster and I don't have that problem. I also don't use sounds, I just have buddy alerts set for all my friends.
concernedUSER

Post by concernedUSER »

OK.... turned off sound and I see that the VM has stopped growing (stopped @ 300megs =)

So this looks like a prob w/ AIM and its sounds as one poster suggested. Are there any versions of AIM that work w/ aim+ that dont exhibit this problem ?

Thanks
dewin
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by dewin »

Well, if you fully close and restart AIM once a day every day between now and December 11th, you could try AIM 5... :)

--dewin
[ an error occured while finding this signature ]