Space Shuttle Columbia Lost?

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Moldyoldpie wrote:Apollo 13, Challanger, and now the Columbia
Apollo 1. It burned on the launch pad during a test, killing the entire crew of 3.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Moldyoldpie wrote:EDIT:
D4D1NK13 wrote:like what happened with the Concord
do you mean the Challenger
No, I mean the Concord. The SST. Those planes have been in use for over 20 years. I hate to sound pessimistic, but it was only a matter of time before something happened.

Challenger was a fairly new shuttle at the time of the explosion.
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

D4D1NK13 wrote:
Moldyoldpie wrote:EDIT:
D4D1NK13 wrote:like what happened with the Concord
do you mean the Challenger
No, I mean the Concord. The SST. Those planes have been in use for over 20 years. I hate to sound pessimistic, but it was only a matter of time before something happened.

Challenger was a fairly new shuttle at the time of the explosion.
i thought you meant a Shuttle called the concord. also they just found a piece of debrey that has been confirmed that it came from columbia in texas
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Challenger went boom basicly because of bad mangment and compucatoin. The engineer at the time did not explain there conserser very will or in a way the manger could understand the problem. (I talk to a USA Nasa employee about that 2 years again and he explain how it all happen)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

Timelessblur wrote:Challenger went boom basicly because of bad mangment and compucatoin. The engineer at the time did not explain there conserser very will or in a way the manger could understand the problem. (I talk to a USA Nasa employee about that 2 years again and he explain how it all happen)
yea it was something about it being too cold the night before so one of the O-rings in the booster section cracked and leeked fuel. the crew compartment survived the explosion however and sunk in the ocean. i believe that is what happened
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

no the crew died almost instantly in the explotion for the depreatoin. but the one of the O-rings on the booster got a hole in it. this hole just happen to be fasting the spot was the booste is attacet to the fuel pod so it was like a blow toach blasting that spot. Also the longer it went on the bigger the hole got and the more power the torch became. After a short time that bracket came undone and the booster started moving around. That in turn caused the fuel Pod to exploid which destoryed the shuttle and so forth.
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

Timelessblur wrote:no the crew died almost instantly in the explotion for the depreatoin. but the one of the O-rings on the booster got a hole in it. this hole just happen to be fasting the spot was the booste is attacet to the fuel pod so it was like a blow toach blasting that spot. Also the longer it went on the bigger the hole got and the more power the torch became. After a short time that bracket came undone and the booster started moving around. That in turn caused the fuel Pod to exploid which destoryed the shuttle and so forth.
thanks i've been searching for info on it, thats what i remembered from what my dad told me, however i just heard them talk about how the crew compartment survived from the challanger and went into the ocean.
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Yeah, I remember the Challenger incident only because of the astronaut who was a teacher. That was one of several reasons it was big news when it happened because a lot of school children were watching the event.

I feel for those who lost friends and family members in this sad event.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Moldyoldpie wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:no the crew died almost instantly in the explotion for the depreatoin. but the one of the O-rings on the booster got a hole in it. this hole just happen to be fasting the spot was the booste is attacet to the fuel pod so it was like a blow toach blasting that spot. Also the longer it went on the bigger the hole got and the more power the torch became. After a short time that bracket came undone and the booster started moving around. That in turn caused the fuel Pod to exploid which destoryed the shuttle and so forth.
thanks i've been searching for info on it, thats what i remembered from what my dad told me, however i just heard them talk about how the crew compartment survived from the challanger and went into the ocean.
Glad to be a help (I believe they did find the crew comparntmet and it dead survived but as I stated about the astornots were killed instantly and I also belive there bodyes were insentorated 2)
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Let's not turn this into a discussion about the Challenger now, That's over and done with.

Unfortunatly I don't have a TV in the vicinity of my computer, so I have to keep running upstairs to check on CNN.. :-? But from that video they have, you can clearly see that it happend during reentry. It looked normal...then an explosion of some sort. Then you can see the pieces begin to seperate.
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

You not missing much. They are saying the same thing over and over again. I proubel get most of my info about this in the morning form the paper since I need to leave for work soon but I get all the new info from 94.5 the buzz they be telling me anything new that comes up (and they play good music) The only benfit to this destor is the fact that no one going to be coming to work so I get a slow day but a crappy reason to have a slow day
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

all you people should get to your TVs soon because there is going to be a press "Statement" in under five minutes on all the major news networks
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

soime post the new info i have to be at work by then
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

you can get to nasa Tv from http://www.nasa.gov but the server has already reached the limit
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

From Nasa:
NASA PRESS CONFERENCE SCHEDULED FOR 3 P.M. EST FEB. 1

A press conference by Space Shuttle Program Manager Ron Dittemore and Chief Flight Director Milt Heflin will take place from NASA's Johnson Space Center, Houston, beginning at 3 p.m. EST today. The briefing will be carried on NASA TV with two-way question and answer capability from other agency centers.

A Space Shuttle contingency was declared earlier this morning in Mission Control when communication was lost with the Space Shuttle Columbia during its return to Earth following a 16-day mission.

Communication and tracking of the shuttle was lost at 9 a.m. at an altitude of about 203,000 feet above north central Texas while traveling approximately 12,500 miles per hour (Mach 18 ). No communication and tracking information was received in Mission Control after that time.

Flight controllers in Mission Control immediately began the process of securing all information, notes and data pertinent to today's reentry and landing.

NASA TV is on AMC-2, Transponder 9C, vertical polarization at 85 degrees West longitude, 3880 MHz, with audio at 6.8 MHz.

NOTE TO PERSONS IN THE AREA: All debris is United States Government property and is critical to the investigation of the shuttle accident. Any and all debris from the accident is to be left alone and reported to Government authorities. Unauthorized persons found in possession of accident debris will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

NASA Home Page
Last edited by BigHead on Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.