profilespy.net(com) shut down

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

profilespy.net(com) shut down

Post by a big sombrero »

I noticed that profilespy.net is shutdown thanks to AOL. this spawned some thoughts for me. what is the point of not letting AOL and AIM memebrs see each others profile? What does it protect/harm?
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

ProfileSpy.com wrote:ProfileSpy.com has been shut down. More specific details will be released by September 18, 2002.

For 4 months we have served almost 2 million profiles. Although it is unclear whether we may reach 2 million, please do us a favor and requestthat AIM allow AOL profiles to be viewed as a future feature. Thank you for your constant patience.

--ProfileSpy.com Team

It's been a fun ride.
There's nothing in this message to indicate that they were shut down "thanks to AOL". There's absolutely no reason given or alluded to, regarding why they have shut down.

Funny how, when you know what you're expecting, and you read something, chances are it'll end up "saying" just what you were expecting.. ;-)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

Post by a big sombrero »

the fact that when you 'request' that it be allowed to work, it sends and request to AOL kinda makes me think it was AOL's doing
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

ProfileSpy.com wrote:...request that AIM allow AOL profiles to be viewed as a future feature...
They're asking that you request that future versions of AIM contain the ability to view AOL profiles ("as a future feature"). ..no mention of AOL making it so that profilespy is "allowed to work"..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

I dont know about you guys, but i have a feeling whatever we request will never get read by the AIM developers by AOL or they will never do what we want, that is why there are infiniteprofiles, etc and our fav, AIM+
a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

Post by a big sombrero »

yea i have a feeling that the submit button regarding AOL has an action of deleting it
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Maybe profilespy should selflessly release their code so that others can do that and AIM can never shut it down (except by taking GAIM/Trillian-esque actions to make it more difficult). But my guess is that will never happen either. Woo-hoo for closed-source...
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

Post by a big sombrero »

im surprised there arent more sites like that
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ive been tryin to do it with my server..... i found somewhat of a way to do it, but its very primitive.... basically, it involves a few php scripts, the windows API, an AOL account, and having AOL continuousley running , lol.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Plasma2002b wrote: and having AOL continuousley running , lol.
There goes that idea then.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well it seems that whatever they were going to say today got pushed back. Kinda weird as I figured they knew what they wanted to say and it would be a simple task of uploading the file.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
adam
Just Registered
Just Registered

it can be done, come on

Post by adam »

if people (no mention of hackers) can backdoor aol's high level security (internal on campus techs (aoltechs) and pull account information of random innocent people with elite screennames, i think we can find a way to acccess their database of profiles (in fact i bet you i know a way through winsock) though it may involve signing on an aol account :/, n.m i'm stupid ::deletes post::
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

lol... ive been experimenting on the America Offline program while using a lot of friends accounts. (and yes they know im using them)

what im trying to figure out right now is how would i get connected to aol without having the program running. I need access to the profile server. its easy enough for AIM, but im not too familiar with the way the AOL server works.

Basically, if i can get into there, then i can get my profilespy replicator to work easier.....

right now it only works when i have AOL running and a lot of other crap (like i gotta have certain windows on top and this and that... just a lot of crap)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I've thought about this before too.. I'm pretty sure it has to do with how you query the profiles server i.e. your screenname is worked into the command somehow and it checks to make sure you're an aol account and then sends the info back again. I have tried a few different things before but never could get them working, oh well.