Webpage speed and downtime

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Anthony

Webpage speed and downtime

Post by Anthony »

Is it just me or are the forums at a major crawl? Does this have to do with the added attachment ability you added Ryan?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Good grief I'm glad I'm not the only one! This afternoon I had full access to a T1 line at school (I run the computer lab :)) and it was still slow as ever. The main site is pretty slothy itself. I wonder what the problem is?
ImmortalDragon
Banned
Banned

Post by ImmortalDragon »

VERYslow
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

It sure was awful this afternoon/evening -- pretty much unusable.

We had 500 simultaneous users on the website today, which is a new record by a long-shot.

I'm not sure where all those users came from, today -- usually when there's a spike like that, I check the logs and find we got linked to from a major site, but nothing new today that I can see.

It's just growing pains, though. :) I'll have to rewrite some of the website's code tonight (it's a ritual, whenever our userbase doubles). Maybe we'll be able to take the next rush in stride, or at least better.

--update, 11pm - we're still definitely having troubles with speed.. needs work..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

update - 8:00 am (est) seems to be running fine...just so you know
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Maybe it had to do with a slow responce to the new realease of hkSFV.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

You might want to use some of the page caching things PHP has if your pages are doing dynamic text that's really pretty static.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
Mannyjv

I know

Post by Mannyjv »

Yesterday the same thing happened to me, but I had an error pop up too about the site. It took three times to get in. :(
All's fair in love and war.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

We still haven't fixed the problem.

This morning I woke up to find the site completely unusable, MySQL had decided at some point that there were 'too many connections', and it never recovered. This site is database-driven, so when MySQL falls down (which it often does), there's nothing left. We've also upgraded to a newer build of MySQL (though we were only a couple builds behind).

Fortunately, the guys at choopa.com are working with me on anything I can think of to make the site run more smoothly.

I still haven't found the solution yet, though not for lack of trying..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

I thought I would bring this thread "back to life" considering the forums are dragging along today. It took 46 sec to open up the General forum, 59 sec to open up this thread, and about 1.5 min to post this reply. I am on cable and these numbers are outrageous! I am guessing its the amount of traffic or it could he choopa's problem...in either case, these forums are a whole lot slower than they should be.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I've noticed the site has been performing poorly all weekend - especially last night/this morning, MySQL locked up at least once, and I was completely unable to get to the site on occaision.

No reason that we can tell, so the server may just need to be restarted. That should happen sometime today, so hopefully things will pick up by this afternoon/evening.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

It's 2pm EST and the forums are running great. No slow load times for me.. (running on a T3 school LAN)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Choopa restarted the server this afternoon, and after I repaired the database, everything has been a whole lot better!
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

thanks a bunch...its back to normal

*yay* LoL
-Matt
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

mines really fast right now
tone