READ!! : Trusted Compting or Treacherous Computing?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

READ!! : Trusted Compting or Treacherous Computing?

Post by fuuucckkers »

For any of you that think Micro$oft is good, and their just a company that likes to produce quality software.. fiddles to you all.

Read this article...and then tell me your opinions on it here.

Because if we the users dont do something about it, the future of computers will end up like what they describe.

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10/21 ... tml?tid=19

And let me tell you.. its not pretty. Lets just say your own computer privacy just went down the poop shoot :wink: .

..:: edit ::..
Mark or Ryan...quit editing my cursing..it just doesnt sound right saying Crapper.. lol .. so I changed it.. heh :lol:
Last edited by fuuucckkers on Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

...More reason to get Linux now I suppose.. :-?
lunatic
Addict
Addict

Post by lunatic »

DADINK13 wrote:...More reason to get Linux now I suppose.. :-?
tru... damn i feel like doin somem bad... i mean me usin ma comp w/ out controllin it, dats jus creepy... i think dat seriously gives me more reason to get diff OS, like linux... 8)

~1~
~LuNaTiC~
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

i think i am going to stick to win2k lol
tone
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

DADINK13 wrote:...More reason to get Linux now I suppose.. :-?
Or Mac OS X.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

nah mac is horrible =\ :D
tone
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

hmm...so that's what all these "security updates" are.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

t0ne wrote:nah mac is horrible
Yeah, those user-friendly Unix-based operating systems that rarely crash really do suck...
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

DIE DIE DIE. My computer would loose so much stuff on it if that happen. Plus some of the stuff I download you can not buy in the states. (Fansub anime not realise yet ect.. I get a lot of stuff like that)
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I posted this link in the topic I started, but I'll post it again here. It contains a lot of good information on trusted computing and Microsoft's Palladium project, and is quite educational. If you're interested in this area, I highly suggest you read it.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/tcpa-faq.html
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I've already learned about the palladium project. That's why I will not be upgraded my OS after Windows 2000.

Basically what the TCPA and palladium is...Intel is in a joint venture with Micro$oft to create a computer Chipset and motherboards..that will work exclusively with Micro$oft's future Operating Systems (dubbed Paladium). If you want to use the new M$ OS, you have to buy a computer with the Intel mobo / chipset in it.

If you download illegal programs, somehow the OS finds out, and sends that information to M$..and then the FBI is at your door the following day. :-? It's basically one giant Trojan Horse with your computers backdoor wide open, because they can find out your information and take what they want. But I guess if you use their OS in the first place, your agreeing to their TOS..so it all makes sense if you think about it.

It's all just one more step bringing us closer to "Big Brother"
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

A lot of people are not going to like this. Lets first look at the consumer. This is a easy one and not even worth covering. You then have AMD. They are not going to like this because they will have to develope directly for Microsoft to get their chips to work.

This will be all the more reason for people to move to Liniux. If you have millions of people with a sudden spark of intrest in Linux companies are going to notice. They will start to make their programs work better with Linux.

Consumers that know how to program but never have had any intrest in Linux will start to develope for it. Since this will only make Linux better the consumer may actually finally switch when it is enough like Windows.

This plan is just plan stupid. The smart consumer will swith to Linux. They will boycot Intel. The other consumers will follow suit because Linux will be at a point that they will feel safe switching.

This in theroy could actually finally kill Microsoft.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

PhaseDMA wrote:A lot of people are not going to like this. Lets first look at the consumer. This is a easy one and not even worth covering. You then have AMD. They are not going to like this because they will have to develope directly for Microsoft to get their chips to work.

This will be all the more reason for people to move to Liniux. If you have millions of people with a sudden spark of intrest in Linux companies are going to notice. They will start to make their programs work better with Linux.

Consumers that know how to program but never have had any intrest in Linux will start to develope for it. Since this will only make Linux better the consumer may actually finally switch when it is enough like Windows.

This plan is just plan stupid. The smart consumer will swith to Linux. They will boycot Intel. The other consumers will follow suit because Linux will be at a point that they will feel safe switching.

This in theroy could actually finally kill Microsoft.
For me to speak up and say that is good would be a bad idea. I keep a close eye on the Linux community. I keep up on current news and on-goings. In theory it could kill Microsoft, but then where would that leave us?? The different distrobutions of Linux would be the main choice of OS, and it would set the standards for the future of computer OSs. Eventually they too would be considered a monopoly, even though it's not one company per se, but moreso a group of programmers around the world that help develop the open source known as Linux.

I've read plenty of news articles focused in the Linux world that says Microsoft is going to die somewhere around years 2010-2015. This palladium initiative might just be the biggest event in computer history that kills off the largest software company in the world. (If I remember correctly, this sounds vaguely familiar to the story and war of the City of Troy). Now it might possibly be a good thing, but I've also read plenty saying that Microsoft is eventually going to leave the Computer OS market, and market strictly for software...making programs and such. And they're going to let another start-up company take over.. or see where Linux goes.
Sounds good to me, but I think the Death of Microsoft would wreak havok on consumers and businesses around the world.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

what about the macs where do they fit in to all of this? are they worse then M$?
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Don't know...but I'm still getting a Mac. Apple Computer has always been light years ahead of the IBM-compatibles, but I don't think they'd stoop to something like that.