Computer Bugs

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

punkster103
Addict
Addict

Computer Bugs

Post by punkster103 »

Well, I ran into a problem with Win2k Professional Edition(No Surprises there!). Anyway, I'll admit I'm running a pretty crappy computer as it is, but as of now it seems like I took all 128Mb and threw it out the window, meaning that it runs so slow that opening folders and Internet Explorer is a difficult task. But all of this only happens when I dial-up to the internet. I checked the Task Managaer, and the program that seems to be hogging all of the memory AND CPU power is "winlogon.exe". It's really strange, does anyone have any ideas?
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

There could be a problem with your modem.
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

That's what I though at first, but now it does this same thing without connecting to the internet. Also, it happens randomly. One minute I could be muti-tasking with a billion things and the next typing a letter takes about a second. Also, I just partitioned my hard drive, moved my mp3's onto the new hard drive, and then formatted the one with all of the Wink2k system files. So, I start up my computer, and I get the same thing. Mark and Ryan, you worked for Microsoft, tell me what's wrong with my computer!
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

Well, this problem only occurred the FIRST time I booted up my computer. The second time, everything went fine, and I downloaded the sp3 just to make sure. So it works fine now. Thanks, for well, nothing I guess :D .
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

punkster103 wrote:Well, this problem only occurred the FIRST time I booted up my computer. The second time, everything went fine, and I downloaded the sp3 just to make sure. So it works fine now. Thanks, for well, nothing I guess :D .
Careful...there still might be a problem with your modem. If you use a winmodem, it uses your system resources instead of having it's own (that's why they're cheaper than other modems). If it starts happening again, try uninstalling it and see if it works without the modem.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:
punkster103 wrote:Well, this problem only occurred the FIRST time I booted up my computer. The second time, everything went fine, and I downloaded the sp3 just to make sure. So it works fine now. Thanks, for well, nothing I guess :D .
Careful...there still might be a problem with your modem. If you use a winmodem, it uses your system resources instead of having it's own (that's why they're cheaper than other modems). If it starts happening again, try uninstalling it and see if it works without the modem.
That's what they're called !! I was going to reply earlier today and say the same thing. A WinModem.. heh. yeah it uses your System Resources and stuff...slowing down your computer quite a bit more than if you just use a standard modem.
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

How can I say this?...Thanks?
BomBoi

Post by BomBoi »

Just go to DSL all website works best with it and also yahoo is haveing it for pretty cheap :D
The 2489th member to join !
AMD 1.1 ghz
384 ram
40 gig
GForce 2 mx (32m)
Aureal Vortex 2