Site's been slow lately.

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Site's been slow lately.

Post by Dice599 »

Last night I couldnt even get to the Big-O home page (I might've but I'm too impatient to wait over three minutes), and today it's being slower than usual. All the other sites I have visited have been loading up nice and quick, so I don't think it's my comp, modem, etc., etc. Has anyone else experienced this? And could there be a reason if it's the site.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
XMenKMan

Post by XMenKMan »

Man, I thought I was the only one. I am on a school network line and I have been pulling my hair out when viewing this site. And only about 33 people were in the forum area. This is probably a warning of an impending doom on the Wednesday the 11 (Just 2 days before Friday the 13th)
2002 - 3rd Baritone Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps
2003 - Lead Baritone Crossmen Drum & Bugle Corps
"When all else is gone, the Bones still remain..."
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

Yea. I'm guessin' right around 10:30 on tuesday night its gonna be really slow cuz everyone'll be on waitin' for midnight, I know I will. I hope everything goes off without a hitch though.
Official Beta Tester

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I wouldn't wait until midnight if I were you. Ryan or Mark (not sure who) said somthing about they won't release it until everyone hits Dec. 11 in all time zones. If you are in eastern, you will be waiting up all night...all I am going to do is go to bed and wake up like normal and get it at 3:30 (when i get home from school). Heck...I'll probably pull my hair out all day Wednesday, but I will have something to look foward to.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

I think i remember Mark or Ryan saying somethin about that but I'm not sure if it was in jest or not and I can't remember the particulars to it (which I'm too lazy to go look for). But I bet it'll be released on EST, and if not, I'll just keep waiting.

On another note, the site got running back to normal around 6 or 630. I don't know what happened but I'm glad it's back to normal speed.
Official Beta Tester

Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

On second thought, I got an urge to actually do something and not just sit on my arse (probably due to the fact that there was no one posting). So I skimmed through all the posts about AIM+ 3 in the AIM + General section and when I came to page 14 (after starting from 1) and at the bottom Mark wrote this:
Big-O Mark wrote:We usually try to get the new releases out at 12 midnight EST, right at the start of the release date for us. However, if there is any last minute work needed to be done, the new file may be delayed until later in the day. However, it will be released as soon as it's ready on the release date :).
So looks like I'll be up at 12 AM EST.
Official Beta Tester

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Yeah the site has been slow lately for me too.. (1.5Mb ADSL) But I'm quite used to that happening every so often by now lol.
:D
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

As of about 7pm EST..the site has gotten back to normal speed. No slow downs for me.. but it was very sloooow earlier today.
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

I'm not. I'm so impatient :evil:
Official Beta Tester

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

There doesn't seem to be any real reason for the server going down last night, and tonight. Both nights, though - you'd think it was an increase in traffic, maybe? But traffic seems to be staying the same.. and right now the speed is great.

Bad omen - I'll be looking at our MySQL code some tonight, to see if there's anything I can do to lighten the load.

Choopa has also been here, helping us get it back up and running last night, and tonight, and trying to find the bottleneck. We're also working on a system to monitor MySQL and restart it automatically, even if none of us are around..

That's all I know for now. :)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thats really wierd for that slow down. Maybe we hit a max number and someone at choopa had to reset something :?: I don't know about anyone else, but that slow down really bugged me...but I guess I've got to get used to it considering its coming close to the big day.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Big-O Ryan wrote:There doesn't seem to be any real reason for the server going down last night, and tonight. Both nights, though - you'd think it was an increase in traffic, maybe? But traffic seems to be staying the same.. and right now the speed is great.

Bad omen - I'll be looking at our MySQL code some tonight, to see if there's anything I can do to lighten the load.

Choopa has also been here, helping us get it back up and running last night, and tonight, and trying to find the bottleneck. We're also working on a system to monitor MySQL and restart it automatically, even if none of us are around..

That's all I know for now. :)
Last night it wouldn't let me on at all.. it was giving me some SQL error ..something not loading ..i dont know. I should've written it down. :roll:
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

I probably would have gotten the error if I had had the patience to wait for it to load.
Official Beta Tester

nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

could any of this be the reason, my number of posts haven't changed since this afternoon? It doesn't really make a difference, I'm just curious.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

nybbles wrote:could any of this be the reason, my number of posts haven't changed since this afternoon? It doesn't really make a difference, I'm just curious.
strange, they are changing again, with my last post to this thread. Whatever.