totally blonde moment..

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

sweeney
Addict
Addict

totally blonde moment..

Post by sweeney »

I recently upgraded to XP, and the way I get my IP doesn't work. Can someone help me to get it? Probably really simple but..I'm not getting it. :D
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

sure, no prob.

In the run menu, type in cmd and press enter. That will give you a command prompt. Then in the command prompt, type in ipconfig and press enter. You will be given a list of stuff and your IP is in there also.

Also, if your already online, you can just go to
www.schwippy.com/IP.asp
and it will show your IP big and bold :)

lol, i made this for my girlfriend so she could tell me her IP so we could talk through NetMeeting all the time.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

From a command prompt run "ipconfig" and it will display your IP, your subnet mask and your default gateway.
:D
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

thanx alot
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Drat you beat me to it... 8)
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

i hate to bother you kind, kind people again..but...lol. Is there a way i can sonfigure my dial-up to use the same ip over and over again..as long as its available?
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Sweeney wrote:i hate to bother you kind, kind people again..but...lol. Is there a way i can sonfigure my dial-up to use the same ip over and over again..as long as its available?
That is completely dependent on your ISP, however with the way modern DHCP servers work the likely answer is no. Most dial up accounts use a static IP and a few do use a dynamic but I havn't heard of one doing what you're wanting, sorry. You can always call your ISP and ask though... you never know, especially if it is a local company.
Matt

Post by Matt »

if you want all your IP info, go to a command prompt and type:

Code: Select all

ipconfig /all
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

jester22c wrote:
Sweeney wrote:i hate to bother you kind, kind people again..but...lol. Is there a way i can sonfigure my dial-up to use the same ip over and over again..as long as its available?
That is completely dependent on your ISP, however with the way modern DHCP servers work the likely answer is no. Most dial up accounts use a static IP and a few do use a dynamic but I havn't heard of one doing what you're wanting, sorry. You can always call your ISP and ask though... you never know, especially if it is a local company.
That's not right. According to te RFC's, when a computer requests a DHCP lease, it first tries to get the same IP it had before as long as the lease has not expired. This helps to minimize broadcast traffic. Only when its IP address is unavailable or the lease has expired does it go for a different one.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:
jester22c wrote:
That's not right. According to te RFC's, when a computer requests a DHCP lease, it first tries to get the same IP it had before as long as the lease has not expired. This helps to minimize broadcast traffic. Only when its IP address is unavailable or the lease has expired does it go for a different one.

well, yes... BUT most usually as soon as you disconnect, your lease expires with the provider. So you usually wont get the same.

You can try to set your settings to automatically get a certain IP, but it probably wont work if you got a common ISP. Like jester said, you'll need to call them to make sure.

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

idejsecrofkrad wrote:That's not right. According to te RFC's, when a computer requests a DHCP lease, it first tries to get the same IP it had before as long as the lease has not expired. This helps to minimize broadcast traffic. Only when its IP address is unavailable or the lease has expired does it go for a different one.
Yes but most dial up IP leases expire on either expiration (because of time) or on session termination. So in effect when you disconnect your lease expires. This is not always the case, but in my experiences it is very common.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

beat ya to it once again
8)

jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Plasma2002b wrote:beat ya to it once again
8)
Darn your black heart Barbara Streisand!
xXMaximumBassXx

Post by xXMaximumBassXx »

waay easier way... right click in an aim convo and click insert ip.
~thats what i do at least. :wink:
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

thats not always accurate.

it may give the network ip instead