Free Web counter

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Anthony

Free Web counter

Post by Anthony »

I really like this service a lot, and think for being free it is a amazing system. They give you so much infomation for nothing but a ad on your site, which doubles if you choose to display the hits. You can set it up to start at a special number (I am going to be doing this since I currently am using the FrontPage counter). You can set it to only record one hit from one person a day. You can even make it ignore all your hits if you want (something I will be doing). I had lost this service because I forgot what it was called after not using it for a while, and I truly missed it.

They also have other services, some which are great also, and some that really are worthless IMO. One of their best other services is Human Click (A help chat service like thing for your site).

Now the company is Bravenet, and the url is www.bravenet.com
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

*cough* SUCKS!!! *cough*

Oh, I'm sorry. I signed up for bravenet..and even after I opted out of all their mailing lists.. by making sure none were checked at signup.. I still recieved tons of email from them. And they sold my name...and I got tons more junk within a few days!! :x

I unsubscribed from the email lists, which did nothing. So I finally just blocked their domain names, and affiliates. Problem solved! :-?

EDIT -- I forgot to mention.. their service isn't too bad for being Free. But I was just sick of how much crap they sent to my email. So I got rid of them.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

For the service they provide I can block stuff.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I just write my own :roll: 8)
:D
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

yeah.... what jester said 8)

( lol.... internet life is so much more fun when you get to run your own server :D )

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You can't run a server though when your behind a firewall though... can you... If I can then I think I need to do some research now :)
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

There are a variety of ways you can do it...some with routers, but most without. If you wanted to test a few things and run your computer as your server, http://www.dslwebserver.com/ is a good site for you. I know on that site there are a couple of images on that site that show examples (In fact...I think that site has you run the server behind the router.)

Another choice you have is setting up a box with only a harddrive, floppydrive, and two NICs and running something from your floppy, like BBIAgent. I heard that you have to pay with them, though, but you kind of get the idea.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ya I do get the idea. Thanks

The main reason I would run my own server is to avoid the slow upload speeds of FTP servers, and just plain be able to do pretty much anything on it... don't have to worry about any rules like bandwidth, or file sizes either.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

PhaseAMD wrote:You can't run a server though when your behind a firewall though... can you... If I can then I think I need to do some research now :)

I wouldn't run a server without a firewall. The key is knowing what you're doing, and proper configuration :wink:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I really meant to say router.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

PhaseAMD wrote:I really meant to say router.
Most all routers act as a hardware firewall :)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

As does mine, but the web site KoolTab pointed out actually directly deals with my router, so I know it can be done :) .
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
mttatkns
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by mttatkns »

PhaseAMD wrote:don't have to worry about any rules like bandwidth, or file sizes either.
not true, most isps have very slow upstream compared to downstream, and 4 most its a violation of the aup as well
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

When I said bandwidth I meant how much you can use at one time period. Also some ISPs have no problem with you hosting a web site.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

PhaseAMD wrote:When I said bandwidth I meant how much you can use at one time period. Also some ISPs have no problem with you hosting a web site.
What About RR do they mind if u host a site.