Hot-running 3D Cards

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Hot-running 3D Cards

Post by DADINK13 »

Who else here besides me has a high-powered 3D card? I've got me a GeForce4 Ti 4600. I think I'm running into some over-heating problems with it.

Inside my case, that card is adjacent to my sound card, which is quite a powerhouse itself. I think that due to the little space between the two, the 3D card is overheating, because in some of my games, the action just stops for about 30 seconds, and then continues along like normal for a while, then the process repeats. Does that look like the sign of an over-heating card?

I've been thinking of moving the rest of my cards away from the GeForce4 to give it more breathing room, but if I do that, won't I mess up all my IRQs and such?

If not, then I'm gonna go ahead and do that as soon as I get my grubby hands on Unreal 2 and SimCity 4! :twisted:
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

::sigh..........::

:sad:

i dont even have an AGP slot.......... :(

then again, i dont need a cool video card on my server :P (and i do all my work from my laptop, so yeha)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

You know what? I laughed when I read the subject line - "3D cards" Haha.. you cant buy anything but 3D cards anymore.

I remember a time when I bought my Riva TNT2 card, it was a 2D/3D card, with graphical interlacing! (i think?) :) But times have changed man.. all video cards are 3D now.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

lol...but back to my question though: if I mived all my other cards away from the GeForce card, would that mess up all my IRQs, or would Windows adjust accordingly?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

D4D1NK13 wrote:lol...but back to my question though: if I mived all my other cards away from the GeForce card, would that mess up all my IRQs, or would Windows adjust accordingly?
It would get screwy at first, but if you know how to manually adjust IRQs I think you'll be alright.

EDIT -- Windows tries to adjust accordingly but has always failed for me. I had the same problem.. so I moved my sound card away from the vid card.. and it messed things up big time! I lost all my drivers cause the IRQs got moved around, cause the cards moved to another slot. But I had to enable another IRQ detection mode? I think.. and it worked itself out eventually. But I was still sick of it cause it kept giving me problems unrealted to IRQs ..so I just formatted! :)
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:EDIT -- Windows tries to adjust accordingly but has always failed for me. I had the same problem.. so I moved my sound card away from the vid card.. and it messed things up big time! I lost all my drivers cause the IRQs got moved around, cause the cards moved to another slot. But I had to enable another IRQ detection mode? I think.. and it worked itself out eventually. But I was still sick of it cause it kept giving me problems unrealted to IRQs ..so I just formatted! :)
Gree...I just formatted my computer not too long ago..I should've moved everything around then, but I forgot to do so. Well, there's always the backup plan--reducing my clock speeds. :cheesy:

It's a GeForce4 Ti 4600--I don't think I'll cry for more performace if I reduce my clock speeds a bit. I've done it in the past.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

You know what ran really hot. A lot of the higher-end Voodoo boards. I used to have one in my old computer...you could have boiled water on the case!
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

lol..on my old GeForce2 I wore out the fan because I used the damn thing so much! :twisted: