Accessing programs from Image Click

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

Accessing programs from Image Click

Post by fuuucckkers »

I'm working on a Website for myself..and I have an idea, but not exactly sure how to go about performing it. I've tried to search Google, and came up with nothing.

What I'm trying to do is when I click an image, I want it to access a particular part of the computer. Say for instance.. on certain Microsoft programs.. in the Help/About menu, it says System Info. You can click the button, and it accesses the System Info window on your computer.

What's the underlying code to do this?
And how would I go about implementing this if at all possible?
PHP is what I'm thinking.

I have more things I want to do.. but I just want to figure this out first..and go from there. :)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Well, you're talking about programs on your computer doing things, and webpages doing those same things. Programs can obviously do a lot more than web pages.

If you install an ActiveX control, you can do pretty much anything you want. But nobody likes those, for just that reason.

The only thing that comes to mind, is you may be able to use a "file://..." formatted link to launch a program or file on the user's computer when they click on a file (a program/file that they already have). But I'm not sure if that will even work.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Ok.. well here's what I'm trying to do..and a screenshot to show you what I'm talking about.

What you're looking at isnt a program. It's actually a sample layout for a website im working with. Those XP styles Icons is what I'm talking about. When I click on them.. I want them to actually do something. Maybe nothing of great importance.. but still work nonetheless. For instance, the [X] button.. would maybe exit the page, and maybe the New File button would open a new Webpage (it would be the same as the user clicking the Home Button on their IE window.)

I know it can be done.. I just need to know the underlying code that makes the buttons work within the programs and stuff..so I could possibly implement it into the website.. if it's even possible.
Attachments
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (139.78 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

javascript my friend....... javascript 8)

dont really need any php per say, javascript will let ya close the windows, open new ones, cut, copy, paste, delete, etc...... i think print too.....

im not to sure exactly what you would wanna do for that Open button though.......

but yeah.... im not the javascript expert here either, but thats what you would wanna use.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Plasma2002b wrote:javascript my friend....... javascript 8)

dont really need any php per say, javascript will let ya close the windows, open new ones, cut, copy, paste, delete, etc...... i think print too.....

im not to sure exactly what you would wanna do for that Open button though.......

but yeah.... im not the javascript expert here either, but thats what you would wanna use.
BAH!! Why didn't I think of that. Hah.. thanks dude! :D