Floppy disks face extinction

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Me I like though new memorry sticks. when I get the time (and money) I going to go out and buy one of thoush 16 megs keychange ones because that way when I at school I can just put it on that faster and easyer
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

Timelessblur wrote:Me I like though new memorry sticks. when I get the time (and money) I going to go out and buy one of thoush 16 megs keychange ones because that way when I at school I can just put it on that faster and easyer
at my school library someone was trying to use one of those and the librarian got all upset because they were "fooling" with the back of the computer
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

MoldyOldPie wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:Me I like though new memorry sticks. when I get the time (and money) I going to go out and buy one of thoush 16 megs keychange ones because that way when I at school I can just put it on that faster and easyer
at my school library someone was trying to use one of those and the librarian got all upset because they were "fooling" with the back of the computer
LOL. I dont have that problem since the computer at San Jac have USB ports in the fount of the computer. Also that would make it easier for me to grab files from my family home desktop and put them on my lap since most of t he files I more are 2 big for floppy any how (that or it would take tomany floppy to put put all the stuff I want to move)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Where do you live the sticks? Even my school has the USB ports on the front... Then again we have the largest buget for tech in the county.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

My computer is still packin' a 5.25" drive. 8)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Big-O Ryan wrote:My computer is still packin' a 5.25" drive. 8)
What do you use it for?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Maybe he had the open bay, and no use for it, other then that drive. Why take something out if its not in the way?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
MoldyOldPie
Addict
Addict

Post by MoldyOldPie »

those are the actually disks that actually floop right?
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

MoldyOldPie wrote:
those are the actually disks that actually floop right?
yes they are. You can not put them in you back pocket or anything. They have covers to proctet the disk them selves (my grandparents used to have an old APPLE II and I would play moon protol on it and you had to uses those 5.25 to play it)
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I use my floppy drive occasionally to take some of my code to and from class, depending if I put it online or not. Aside from that I don't use them for anything. I don't much care that Dell is removing them. I somewhat see it as a good decision. Me personally... I build all of my computers anyway, so if I want to put in a floppy I can. I have plenty of them on hand anyway, and I probably will for a while. At least until a new standard for removable RW media becomes widely available.
:D
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Oh yeah... I have a 5.25" drive and a whole box of disks for it too :cheesy: I've had it for years... I'll probably hang on to it to show my kids lol.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

My iBook does not have a floppy drive, and I have found I can function quite easily without one. I usually transfer files over my LAN or upload them to my webspace, esp. because most of the files I use don't fit on floppies anymore. Or I burn them onto a CD and transfer them that way. I think Apple had the right idea, although they jumped the gun on it a bit early, and I am glad to see Dell is following as well. Floppy disks are an old standard that are now nearly obsolete, in my opinion. Besides that, floppy disks have a very finite lifespan and I have found them to be very prone to accidents and data loss. I would never ever back up important files on a floppy (all my backups are on CD or Zip disk). On the few occasions when I use one, such as taking files to school, I always copy the file onto at least 2 disks, just in case one decides to be finicky and not allow itself to be read.