installing phpbb mods?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

fuuucckkers

installing phpbb mods?

Post by fuuucckkers »

How do I ?

I've read around..even looked on their forums/ tutorials..and I cant figure it out. I'm stumped.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

lol.....

What you have to do is edit the .php or .tpl files like it were a text file. You can use notepad or whatever your HTML editor is. I use a program called Textpad to edit my phpBB files.

Some mods don't require you to edit any files--you can just upload the included files to thier respective directories and go with it. Some you have to actually edit the .php or .tpl files found in phpBB's directory.

If the instructions say to open a file like templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl, you do exactly so. All paths are done with respect to the phpBB root directory, which in my case is public_html/phpBB So for that file, I'd be searching for it in public_html/phpBB/templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl. What I do is download all the files that are needed to be edited into two seperate folders, and keep their folder structure so I can just drag them back into the phpBB root dir and they'll upload to their respective directories. I use one for all the unmodified files, and another for the files I'm going to modify. God forbid you make a mistake, you still have the orginal files to restore.

The install will tell you to find a certain line of code--just copy and paste that into whatever tool your using's "find" feature and there ya go. If you have to add a new line after that certain code you just found, hit ENTER after that line you just found, then paste the new code in. If you have to add a new line BEFORE the line you just found, do the same thing, but at the begining of the line instead. Replace is self-explanitory. If you have something that wants you to find a certain string WITHIN a line, you have to be very careful--they can be tricky.

Once you save the modified files, upload and cross your fingers.

If you need anymore help, you know where to get it. :D
Matt

Post by Matt »

That was an excellent definition Carl...it should be on the phpBB boards. I really couldn't have said it better.

Just 3 things to note...if you have another theme (than subsilver), all files will go in the folder of the theme. Also, be sure to keep two seperate folders for each theme you do...cuz the theme files aren't interchangable (sometimes they are...but mostly they aren't). One other thing...ALWAYS BACKUP. It only takes up a few mgs of space (that is if you have like 15 mods installed)...it doesn't hurt one bit!
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I figured it out on my own.. with your two's help of course! :wink:

I didnt realize I had to open the .mod file and it had directions inside it.
I thought it would include a readme file or something inside the zip.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Most of the time it does :-? (well if it is offical it *HAS* to have one).

EDIT: Edit to bring more attention to "has"
Last edited by Anthony on Sat Mar 15, 2003 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

Which mod are you installing?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I installed the Restict Guest Access.. found here:
http://phpbb.com/phpBB/catdb.php?cat=3
top Mod on the page.

And PhaseDMA...you're wrong, cause that mod did NOT have the Readme file included with it.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

People break rules. You do have to have it. The mod should not have been approved.

'The phpBB Group' has a specially designed "MOD Template" that is required for all submissions of MOD's, into our MOD database.
:)
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ