Longhorn

Post by BigHead »

Does anybody have any info about Longhorn or screenshots
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

http://www.etplanet.com/windows/longhorn/
i d/l it once but b4 i installed it my friends told me that you had to do all this stuff 2 b able 2 keep it. and they told me that a 2 GHz comp will seem like a 400 MHz comp w/ that os and it crashes every 10 mins.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The last thing you want to do is put a alpha release of anything on your computer let alone a alpha release of a Microsoft product. They can't even keep major bugs out of the "final" release.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Robpol86 wrote:i d/l it once but b4 i installed it my friends told me that you had to do all this stuff 2 b able 2 keep it. and they told me that a 2 GHz comp will seem like a 400 MHz comp w/ that os and it crashes every 10 mins.
So how is that different from other versions of Windows? :P
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

The alpha releases of MS OSs are not optomized for any hardware of any sort. Everything is run essentially through software emulation. That is why things are as slow as all get out. Once proper drivers are written you can expect things to speed up by a considerable measure. That is also the reason for such instability. Because there are no intelligent background hardware transfers IRQs often argue with each other and memory allocation goes fubar after running so much memory through the OS. I've heard some very promising things about Longhorn... but considering I hate XP with the fire of a thousand suns.... I don't have my hopes up very high. Win2K [what I use now] will very likely be the last MS OS for me.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

jester22c wrote:Win2K [what I use now] will very likely be the last MS OS for me.
What are you going to next? Linux/Unix?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Considering Longhorn is going to integrate it's Trusted Comuting.. I will NEVER use it.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Michael wrote:
jester22c wrote:Win2K [what I use now] will very likely be the last MS OS for me.
What are you going to next? Linux/Unix?
I have actually been using Linux/Unix sparatically for years now, just not as a main OS. That is what I was referring to... my primary Operating System. I'll probably stick with Win2K for a few more years as it seems to remain sufficient and I think it will be for quite some time. Especially because XP is 2K with a wizard interface :roll: My next complete OS change will probably be when I integrate into the 64-bit market, and I'll just have to wait and see what's available then. Linux is an ever growing OS with more potential every day :)
:D
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Michael wrote:
Robpol86 wrote:i d/l it once but b4 i installed it my friends told me that you had to do all this stuff 2 b able 2 keep it. and they told me that a 2 GHz comp will seem like a 400 MHz comp w/ that os and it crashes every 10 mins.
So how is that different from other versions of Windows? :P
lol.....touché!
x Wasted Mind x wrote:Considering Longhorn is going to integrate it's Trusted Comuting.. I will NEVER use it.
That's why my next computer will be a Mac. No more need to rely on Microsoft anymore. :cheesy:
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I have a feeling Microsoft is going to begin screwing itself over with some of its brilliant ideas for the software. I think you're bound to see the Mac OS and Unix/Linux market growing in the future.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Michael wrote:I have a feeling Microsoft is going to begin screwing itself over with some of its brilliant ideas for the software.
Don't you mean "brilliant" ideas? :twisted:
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

DADINK13 wrote:
x Wasted Mind x wrote:Considering Longhorn is going to integrate it's Trusted Comuting.. I will NEVER use it.
That's why my next computer will be a Mac. No more need to rely on Microsoft anymore. :cheesy:
I'm still more used to PC's. I'd just go for a different OS. I've only ever used an Apple computer once and I didn't like it.