games on itanium procs

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

games on itanium procs

Post by Robpol86 »

heres a question i got from the air. How will games (like ut or t2 or q3 or bf1942, etc) run on a 64-bit system? will it perform better or will the 64-bit os not support it?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

They wont work. The same as how applications on FAT16, wont work on FAT32. FAT32 apps probably wont work on 64bit.. (FAT64?)

As for now, you don't have to worry about it.. the 64bit chipset is mainly for the server/ business market, until they go completely commercial with it for home users.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:They wont work. The same as how applications on FAT16, wont work on FAT32. FAT32 apps probably wont work on 64bit.. (FAT64?)
What are you talking about??? FAT12, FAT16, AND FAT32 all work on 32-bit systems. The number of bits used in hard drive sector/cluster notation have NOTHING to do with the number of bits used by the processor (except that a 32-bit system can only support up to a 32-bit filesystem due to the limitation on floating point operations). 16-bit applications run just fine on 32-bit systems and 32-bit applications should run just fine on a 64-bit system (with no change in performance). The bit number on a processor refers to the size of numbers on which it can perform floating point operations. A 64-bit processor can handle numbers in the range -9223372036854775807 to 9223372036854775808. A 32-bit processor can handle numbers in the range -2147483647 to 2147483648. All this really means is that programs that use large numbers in calculations will be able to run a lot faster because they don't have to use certain mathematical tricks for performing huge calculations (or the calculations take less floating point operations).
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Damn! :roll: Well.. it sounded good. But now I just feel like a dumbass. :(
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

so if i have a computer and it ran sum os (lets say Win XP 64-bit) and an itanium proc, i wont see a performance increase in a 3d game (like ut2k3)?
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Not in the least, unless they come out with a version specifically written for a 64-bit operating system.
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

just a question if u have a 64 bit Processer how do u get XP 64 bit
BigHead
~2592~
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

its a different os, its Windows XP 64-bit Edition (i think thats the exact name)

edit: just wondering, will xp 64-bit edition support ne version of direct x?
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

I knew it was a different OS but i was wondering were u could get it.

I searched on google on it looks like u can only get it if u buy a HP a workstation
BigHead
~2592~
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

See here for info about purchasing:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bi ... efault.asp

And as MJ said... file systems don't have squat to do with memory buffer sizes in applications. 16 bit COM applications (run in a dos window) run perfectly fine on my 32-bit machine. It's the same thing with 32 > 64. The only gain possible is if you are running software that takes advantage of that extra memory space. Aside from that... you are better off with a P4 or XP rig because they are clocked higher than the Itanium. The Itanium is only available in 733 and 800 mhz models and the Itanium 2 is available at 900 mhz and 1ghz. Both of which would be severely crippled by my 1600+ :-?
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

No, but Itanium processors must have software written specifically for them. Software written for Pentium and Xeon processors will not run on an Itanium.
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

No. The operating system interprets the software. Very few programs make calls directly to the processor. The program's environment is managed by the operating system.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Correct. As long as the OS supports the instruction set of the CPU most any software should be 100% compatible.
:D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Master Jedi wrote:No. The operating system interprets the software. Very few programs make calls directly to the processor. The program's environment is managed by the operating system.
Nope, sorry, different architectures:
MSNBC.com wrote:Pentiums and Xeons run the same software, but Itanium 2 requires entirely different code, which can be costly to develop and test. Itanium's software isolation in part has retarded sales, analysts and executives have said, adding to the appeal of AMD?s one-chip solution.
Software written for one architecture cannot run on another processor. Take the example of when Apple moved from the Motoroloa 68K series processor to the PowerPC--they had to write an emulator into their OS so the PowerPC machines could run software written for the Motorola processors. Any processor that uses a completely different architecture, like the Pentiums and the Itanium, cannot run software that wasn't written for that architecture.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

jester22c wrote:And as MJ said...
Michael Jackson said what now? :wink: