so now DeadAim and AOL are in bed together

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

DADINK13 wrote:<patiently awaits the revivial of AIM+>
we can all dream... wait a min I am with dadink here. I join in the waiting. I looking forward to not having to put up with DeadAIM any more
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
lordicarus

Post by lordicarus »

Timelessblur wrote:
we can all dream... wait a min I am with dadink here. I join in the waiting. I looking forward to not having to put up with DeadAIM any more
Likewise. On the topic of DeadAIM now being part of an "advanced" service associated with AIM, I have a feeling it is going to become part of the expressions package<http://expressions.aim.com> that AOL has for AIM. ::vomits::
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I just read an article on C/NET's News.com that said the FCC just lifted the injunction they placed on AOL/Time Warner that prevented them from "advancing" the features of AIM and/or ICQ. Apparently, when AOL and Time Warner merged, the FCC was afraid the combined Goliath would crush MSN Messenger and Y! because AIM was the market leader. So they slapped them with a ruling that made it illegal for them to code any drastically new features. That might explain why such add-ons as AIM+ was needed and they never added the chat logging that was apparently in older versions.

Now that the injunction has been officially lifted we hear about a "merger" with DeadAIM. Most companies know that such a legal ruling is coming WAY before the general public. They could've known about his month, and months ago. They are getting their ducks in a row to launch a new version of AIM that is feature-laden. If it functions, that is a different story
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Walker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Walker »

Well... Lord Icarus, Looks Like You Will be hanging out At Big-O More Often. ;) Since You Said That You Would Lose ALL Respect To JDennis.
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

In respect to what Ray said:

Why devour a little bullshit company when AOL could develop even better features themselves? Are their programmers too lazy? The latest build of AIM has more bugs that Mr. Oogie Boogie, and with every new revision, it gets worse.

Clean up existing code first AOL, then add new features.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Why waste the $$ developing something yourself when you could offer some small startup a small chunk of change (small to AOL large to the startup) to get the code. Then you offer them the token perk of getting to keep their jobs working on the future development.

M$ does it all the time. I believe one of the products being launched in Office 2003 is an "acquired" product.

[Edited to Add]

I don't mean I agree with the practice, but the Corporate Machine is more about quick and easy than "done correctly"
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

BuckWindy wrote:Perhaps they'll have a pay version that will have no ads and all the deadaim features, but they'll charge for this 'advanced' version. And maybe that new version will have video chat abilities. But who knows, we're just speculating here.
Can they charge for new features? Who has the FCC's email address?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

The FCC was only concerned about AIM destroying competition that was being provided by the fledgling MSN Messenger and Y! Messenger (fledgling at the time). Now that those messaging clients have "taken root" they feel it is safe to untether AOL to add features.

I don't know how AOL feels charging for such feature would be a profitable venture and gain new "customers". MSN Messenger 6.0 has now offered chat logging. Plus, their chat logging is using XML format (for storage) and provides full color support. It's pretty slick (for M$)
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

harra wrote:Now that the injunction has been officially lifted we hear about a "merger" with DeadAIM.
Why was the injunction lifted ?? I can answer that one. :)

Because AOL / Time Warner have officially announced their departure as a merged company. In a short time (if not already, im not sure) they will be 2 seperate entities once again... (And that also spells out the death for AOL)
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

why did they split?
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Wasted,

That wasn't the explanation given in the C/Net article I read:
FCC lifts AOL messaging limits
News.com article wrote:In January 2001, the FCC ruled that the combination of AOL and Time Warner could pose problems for competitors trying to develop their own IM products. Regulators and rivals were concerned that combining AOL's leading Internet subscriber base with Time Warner's entertainment content and regional cable monopoly would create an unfair advantage in the market.
News.com article wrote:The ruling by the FCC, made public Wednesday, said that AOL Time Warner offered compelling evidence that competition with Microsoft and Yahoo was alive and well
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

[]DaT_MaNN03 wrote:why did they split?
Because AOL was going to end up killing Time Warner with it's inability to make money.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Chinchilla!
Addict
Addict

Post by Chinchilla! »

lordicarus wrote:
Timelessblur wrote:
Likewise. On the topic of DeadAIM now being part of an "advanced" service associated with AIM, I have a feeling it is going to become part of the expressions package<http://expressions.aim.com> that AOL has for AIM. ::vomits::
...man I sure hope not.... I'm trying to think positive and believe with the lifting of this FCC injunction, AIM will have video capabilities and other features that its competetors currently have without having to pay for any of it.

Welcome to the big-o boards lordicarus
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Just for the record.....

It has been reported that Microsoft has changed their EULA that you agree to when you upgrade your MSN Messenger to read that at any time they can force you to upgrade. On top of that that forced upgrade may be at a charge. If you don't comply, they may ensure your older version doesn't work. I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting their "ducks in a row" in case AOL starts charging for features. God forbid, someone buck the trend and keep providing something for free when everyone else is charging. I wonder how many new customers you will get then....hmmmm

Hasn't MP3's taught big business anything. People will take free any day over even the smallest of charges (i.e. $.01)
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

On the topic of MSN I gotten an email (from MSN) telling me that MSN message and windows message need to be a verson 5.0 or better (mac at 3.5) due to some secitry bug in the older programs and if you dont upgraud the older verson will not work soon
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas