remove "launch clone" from IM AIM+ menu

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Speebs

remove "launch clone" from IM AIM+ menu

Post by Speebs »

I always click "Launch Clone" when I mean to look at an IM history!! Can you remove it or make it less easily-clickable for hasty clickers? It's already in the regular Buddy List AIM+ menu, which is where I believe it should be (and not in the IM AIM+ menu, since cloning is not IM-specific)

Just a thought...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The reason why the "Launch Clone" and "AIM+ Clone" options were added to the menus was the confusion over cloning at the initial release of AIM+ 2.0. A decent number of users did not like the run AIM+ again method of cloning because they found themselves creating many undesired clones. The new methods of launching clones plus the "Disable Clone" options were the easiest solution to the problem.

The reason why it's in the chat window AND the + menu is that in the AIM+ settings you can remove the entire "General" buttons row (Today / Away / Prefs / +). If a user removes this row AND has the cloning option disabled, he has no way to create a clone! That wouldn't be good :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Speebs

Post by Speebs »

I totally understand what you're saying, BUT, even if the "General" buttons are removed, one can still launch a clone by right-clicking on the title bar :)

Out of curiosity, how were people creating unwanted clones with the old method?

Could we maybe move the AIM+ "Preferences" option in between the "History" and "Launch Clone" options? Pleeeeease?
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I think there were a whole lot of different ways people were creating clones they didn't want ...

There's a bug with XP and the latest AIM beta that makes the system tray icon disappear when the user signs off, even though AIM is still running. It looks like it's not, so users would re-run AIM and get a clone.

Some users use the AIM / AIM+ shortcut to display the buddy list when it's minimized. If you're in the habit of doing this, with AIM+ 2.x before the disable cloning option was added, this would launch a clone rather than restore the window.

I'm sure there are some other ways people were created undesired clones, but those were the two big problems Ryan and I found with this.

We stuck the Preferences at the bottom of that dropdown because we figured it was the most logical place for it; the easist, most recognizable place for people to find it :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Speebs

Post by Speebs »

Ah.. all good points. I hadn't thought of any of those things! Okay, you win.. I will just have to deal with it the way it is :)

Why not an option?

Post by Guest »

I've also run into the same problem, and I never use the cloning feature of AIM+. Perhaps you could make a checkbox in the Preferences dialog that would hide all the Clone menus? I am sure that we are not the only two people who have had this same problem.