Folding@Home

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Matt

Folding@Home

Post by Matt »

Hey all,

I decided that it was time that the community at Big-O-Software should join the hard working efforts of Stanford Univ. to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases. The software program Folding @ Home helps their research.

To help them out, I created a team with the number 33920. If you download their software, it prompts you for a username and team #. This is kinda like what seti is, but it allows us to all join and do this cause. This program is good for ppl with comps that stay connected all the time and those that leave theirs on all the time *cough*. Anyway, if you want to get it, you can get it from here:

http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team: 33920
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

It actually does not need to be connected. Just enough to send about 1 MB (really less (20 MBs in a month)) back to the server.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Jon8RFC
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Jon8RFC »

I just joined and am letting it run for now...ill have to turn it off whenever i need to game though, but it's going right now :)
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

It's basically a SETI@home clone. Bah. At least SETI is doing something more interesting.
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

u dont need to shut it down to game because it only uses unused processor power
BigHead
~2592~
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

DADINK13 wrote:It's basically a SETI@home clone. Bah. At least SETI is doing something more interesting.
The whole SETI distributive computing model really opened up the eyes of the scientific community. Up to that point, they really relied on super conputers to crunch the data. Then someone was like, "Hey could we split this up amongst many regular computers?". Now all you need is willing volunteers and the cost of processing data goes way down (the use of supercomputers isn't cheap). Yes, this isn't as interesting as the SETI program, but I think anything that explorers things pertaining to the body and the way things are put together isn't a waste of time. You never know what this kind of research could unlock.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

we could have a SETI@home group also :roll:
BigHead
~2592~
Matt

Post by Matt »

Is there such thing as a seti@home group? Because I've been doing that since like 3 yrs ago....
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

w00t !! AND they got Linux versions! I'm in on this group! :D

I like helping out these distributed computing groups such as this...and SETI. etc. (if there are more.. who knows.)
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

KooLTaB101 wrote:Is there such thing as a seti@home group? Because I've been doing that since like 3 yrs ago....
Yep

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_list.html
BigHead
~2592~
Matt

Post by Matt »

Also, I made a UD team. They do basically the same thing, but their stats page is more extensive.

For more info, follow this link: http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team ... D227B68777

FYI, the team name is Big-O Software
-Matt
BigHead
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by BigHead »

i think i'm just going to run folding at home
BigHead
~2592~
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

so what now.. i just let this program run in my Linux Console? I couldn't get the GUI to come up.. so it's console mode.. but whatever.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'm not going use more then one of type of program... They take away from each other...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Matt

Post by Matt »

PhaseDMA wrote:I'm not going use more then one of type of program... They take away from each other...
True, but its there if you want it....
-Matt