Visual C++ Runtime Error

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Visual C++ Runtime Error

Post by Guest »

I've gotten this error on Windows XP and Windows 2000 Professional (one desktop, one laptop) w/ AIM version 4.8.2540, and basically it gives me no information about the error. I cannot reproduce the error voluntarily, but it seems to be a logging error. After the error, if I go check the logs, there is one screename that did not have the session logged, so my suspicion is the logging feature is causing the error.

Post by Guest »

i also have had this error, three or four times in the past week and it seems to only pop up when there is alot of text in the im window.
it is a very annoying bug becuase i have lost some ims that i would have like to keep for reviewing at a later time.

i am running windows xp and aim v 4.7.2480, if you need more info about it just reply to this with what you need and i will get it to you

thanks

Post by Guest »

if ya want a Stable Logging.. use AIM 4.4.. or use this and dont complain..
(talkin bout how te IM was ooooooh so important.. damn CyberSex IXA Kiddies)
mrCide

Post by mrCide »

um yeah.. this IS a bug report forum is it not? Anyway, I've had the same errors. Cannot reproduce them but they were happening much more frequently so I stopped using aim+..

Also I noticed that some of my logs were running into other logs in the log manager..

Post by Guest »

i get this error too.. it seems a bit more frequent as of late as well..
Can't reproduce the runtime error either.. it happens pretty randomly.
I'm computer setup is as follows:
AMD TBird 1.4ghz
Win2k (SP2)
AIM ver 4.7.2480
DaVeMaN

Post by DaVeMaN »

i get da runtime error also and it also lost some of mah im's which i actually wud have liked logged so plz fix dis thanx

here is wah i get

Post by Guest »

Just a conformation of what has been said before. I never thought that it was related to anything but come to think of it, i do think it has happened when a lot of text was in an AIM window. Thanks for aim+, it makes my life worth living (ha). Seriously nice job on it and i'm looking forward to future releases!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

(Sorry for letting this topic go so long without a reply)

FYI - This 'runtime error' is pretty much a generic crashing bug - it doesn't really tell me what is failing at all, and it could be coming from different bugs, but I do appreciate everyone letting me know that you're experiencing it - now I know that I need to track this down.

Someone mentioned that it happens often when there is a lot of text in the window - if you have any other clues or ideas like that on how I can reproduce this error, let me know.

And BTW, I do experience this too - though I've had only a handful of AIM/AIM+ crashes (probably < 10) since I started using it regularly in October.

I'll find this eventually - in the meantime I hope it isn't bothering anyone too much.

Thanks,
-Ryan K. Evans
Big-O Software
Spence

Post by Spence »

Bothers me so much I stopped using it. I eagerly await the next release.
GliTcH

Post by GliTcH »

Yep, its happening to about 8-9 of my friends, including me. What i CAN tell you is that it ONLY happens when 'directly connected'. And yes, its after a bit of text is typed, or images are sent. I'm running Xp, but it's happened to a friend with 98se so I think the OS thing isnt important. Hopefully this will be fixed ASAP.
Nemessis
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemessis »

this error happens to me when i am direct connected though i dont send anything, i keep chatting like normal. after maybe 20-30 minutes it crashes.

the weird thing is i can still chat on other IMs if i dont push OK on the crash notification window, but i cant use the one i was connected with.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

We have looked into this extensively with the beta of the next version and have yet to cause a crash. We've opened/closed connections, sent large text files, images, and just done our regular chatting with direct connect on without any problems. Hopefully everyone else will have as much luck with the new version once it's public as we have had in beta testing.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Nemessis
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemessis »

here is a thought. you both had AIM+ running when you did the testing correct? i only get these errors with users who are not running AIM+.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

We've tried one user with AIM and one with AIM+, still no crashes. In a couple hours you can tell us whether the bug exists in AIM+ 2.0 or not ... no need to worry about most of the 1.0 bugs anymore :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

AIM+ 2.0 has been out for more than a week now, and nobody has mentioned whether or not they're still having problems with C++ Runtime Errors. Is it safe to assume that this problem has been fixed with the new version?
-Mark
Big-O Software