Transparencies and "always on top"

Report problems you've had using AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

stealthx32

Transparencies and "always on top"

Post by stealthx32 »

Okay, so I have this wierd problem, involving other transparencies. I have a plugin for Winamp called TransparentFX so I can have Winamp transparent too. I set that to "always on top". Additionally, I have AIM+ set to Always on Top, but that should be only the buddy list right? Here's the thing...when I have Winamp open, and an IM open (with transparency on), the IM window will appear above Winamp, but when I click, it's responds to the Winamp. First of all, the IM shouldn't be on top since the IM shouldn't be always on top. And if I shut off transparency on AIM+, it works fine. The simple solution I see to this is giving 2 different checkboxes, one for buddy list transparency, and one for IM window transparency...not a big deal, but it would be nice if I got it working right. :) Thanks for the great freeware.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I've experienced what you're talking about. I think you'll find with some clicking and looking that winamp actually is on top, it's simply that the transparent effect is simply confusing. Like alpha blended polys in a 3D engine, transparent windows are a fairly drastic approximation - it looks good most of the time, but when layered on top of each other the effect isn't really what you expect to see. I *think* this is what's happening to you.

Regardless, separate transparency settings for the Buddy List and IM/Chat Windows are almost certainly on their way :).
-Ryan
Big-O Software
stealthx32

Post by stealthx32 »

Neat. I have IM windows non-transparent (buddy list transparent), so I see the solid opaque IM window on top. It's good to hear separate settings though! It'll definitely help the flashy-flashy Java applets.
stealthx32
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by stealthx32 »

Here's an update on the situation. It's the same! :) Anyways, here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

I crossed out a lot of names and stuff, but you can see what's happening. Buddy list is "always on top", cept when overtaken by an IM window...but only in transparency mode... The Winamp is fine with all transparencies (always on top also), cept when an IM window is on top of it...then the IM window is on top of it, even though it's not transparent, nor always on top. When I click, it responds to what should be on top (the Winamp window). And you'll see that little square on the left of the Winamp playlist. That's where a non-transparent window is on top of the AIM+ Prefs window is on top of the IM window...and then the Winamp is on top of all of that... See the problems? :)

The easiest solution I see is giving an option to have the transparency wrapper on JUST the buddy window...and since that's never near my winamp window, I'll be happy. :) Anyways, hope you guys get around this crazy problem. Thanks.