Use only part of an AIM Expression?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

CowboyCowden12

Use only part of an AIM Expression?

Post by CowboyCowden12 »

Does anyone know if there is some way to use only the buddy list portion of an Expression? I have already downloaded some expressions but I only want the expression to be displayed on my buddy list. The part of the expression that is added onto each AIM window is just too big for my tastes. Is this even possible?
"Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?" - Jack Black (Orange County)
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

nope... not that im aware of.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Personally, I think the AIM expressions are rather dumb--mainly because they take up so much screen space. I use just the standard one that comes with AIM, and I have the option turned off to show AIM expressions from others.
CowboyCowden12

Post by CowboyCowden12 »

that is the reason, michael, that i was trying how to (if i can) get rid of the pictures on each buddy window becease i like the way the buddy list looks and it doesnt take up too much space so i wanted to keep that if possible
"Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?" - Jack Black (Orange County)
digital
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by digital »

sure you can get rid of the pics added to each aim window. If you know where the themes are downloaded to and if you know how to edit the .arf files, you can get rid of the side pics.

digital
http://www.digitalenhance.com
CowboyCowden12

Post by CowboyCowden12 »

Thanks digital...however....I went to the website that you posted and I understood about 1% of it...I also couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, could you help me a little further?
nemyx

Post by nemyx »

i've edited the theme files before... all i wanted was a shadowed 8ball behind the buddy list, minus all the crap.. i believe the .arf files are just .zip files... show file extensions and rename it. then edit the xml file. it should be pretty straightforward...
CowboyCowden12

Post by CowboyCowden12 »

nemyx wrote:i've edited the theme files before... all i wanted was a shadowed 8ball behind the buddy list, minus all the crap.. i believe the .arf files are just .zip files... show file extensions and rename it. then edit the xml file. it should be pretty straightforward...
...wow you guys sure do know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do...it sounds so easy yet I still have no clue but thanks for the help...I guess I'll just try messin around with it
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

.... ok... I figured all those file things out... But now I have one more quesstion, hopefully somebody can give me an answer... The image for the buddy list background appears in the middle of my buddy list, but I want it at the very top... is there any way to edit this so it can be at the top? like can you do it in ResHacker or something??? I made a pretty cool image but it just dosen't work in the middle of the buddy list.. it needs to be at the top... thanx

I know its hard to understand what im talkingabout... So heres a screen shot of what im talking about.... see that blue part on the buddy list?? I want it at the top so that inch of white space isn't in there....
Attachments
Heres what Im talking about
Heres what Im talking about
buddylist.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 5905 times
Last edited by J3utton on Thu Dec 05, 2002 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CowboyCowden12

Post by CowboyCowden12 »

I have no clue...I have just decided that I'm not going to use an AIM expression...its easier that way :lol:
jag2004

still confused

Post by jag2004 »

I also would very much like to change just the buddy list background picture. I still don't understand where you find these files that everyone's talking about and what you do with them once you find them. Sorry if I'm a newb, but can somebody please explain everything instead of just giving little hints. This has been something I've been wondering about for a while.
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

Theres a little website that lets you make free expressions (and if you don't want something, leave it blank) the URL is http://www.runabot.com/mytheme/aim/create if that doesn't work (for some people the url comes up with something different, i dunno why) you can just goto http://www.mytheme.com and find it from there. i use it, its easy and free, and i can keep those dumb side images out.
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!