'Remove Klez from Big-O-Software' Spam

Website stuff

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

.....ok.....then...........

then heres an actual *.eml file that was en route.

this is complete with headears and all.

http://www.schwippy.com/bigo.eml

(try right clicking and select save as if it wont open in your browser)
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

Big-O Ryan wrote:
the email wrote:From: Big-O-Software - AIM Plus
Subject: Remove Klez from Big-O-Software
To: Big-O-Software Member
What does this mean?
~Kate~
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

SparkleSatine wrote:
the email wrote:From: Big-O-Software - AIM Plus
Subject: Remove Klez from Big-O-Software
To: Big-O-Software Member
What does this mean?
We wanted to add one important part that was missing from the email posted online -- the fact that the From: line made it appear that the spam was from us, when it in fact was not from us at all.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Plasma spoofed the header of his email so at first glance it appears to come straight from Big-O Software, but really, the sender (Plasma) is not affiliated with Big-O in any way. I think this spoof is something that really pissed Mark and Ryan off. (And reasonably so, I think. If anyone spoofed email from me, I'd be angry too.)
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

..in an effort to continue increasing the reader's understanding of the event in question..

Just leave your e-mail address here, and I'm sure plasma will be happy to send you a copy of the spam in question. :P

..it's a joke, you know..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

from: "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus " <klez-removal@schwippy.com>
thats not a spoof
this would be a spoof:
from: "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus " <big-o@Big-O-Software.com>

If i were to make is as if it were from just some random dude, nobody would give a shi......... nobody would open it. If i made Big-O visible when they see the email the user would have had more chance to open it and read the infrmation.

And i right away made it clear that the email was from "a concerned user of the Big-O forums" and not Big-O. and i also made this clear at the bottom.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Big-O Ryan wrote:Just leave your e-mail address here, and I'm sure plasma will be happy to send you a copy of the spam in question.
i wouldnt do that, come on. besides, i just posted the email for anyone's review.

i still dont see how you can really call it spam though :-? it was helpfull information.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Michael wrote:I think this spoof is something that really pissed Mark and Ryan off.
This certainly is not cool, and is an offense to us.

But it's also not cool (and an offense to the users) to e-mail every single user on a forum, especially knowing that you were mailing users who had elected not to have their e-mail addresses be exposed (and, thus, certainly weren't expecting e-mail from other users).
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

plasma2002 wrote:from: "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus " <klez-removal@schwippy.com>
thats not a spoof
this would be a spoof:
Yes, but at first glance it looks to be from Big-O Software. When I downloaded it from my server, I initially thought it was an email from Big-O because all I saw was Big-O-Software - AIM Plus. Technically it's not a spoof, but let's be realistic--at first glance, you intended for the email to look as though it came straight from Big-O. You understand why this would upset Mark and Ryan.
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

and by the way..... i just got done talking with one user of the board and the email and him IM'ing me finnaly got him to remove klez from his system successfully.

This is a good thing.

The person is a very active user on these boards and no1 would have suspected it. Im not gonna name him. If he wants to say something, he can.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

plasma2002 wrote:i still dont see how you can really call it spam though :-? it was helpfull information.
According to the Mail Abuse Prevention System:
An electronic message is "spam" IF: (1) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (2) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent; AND (3) the transmission and reception of the message appears to the recipient to give a disproportionate benefit to the sender.
In this case, (1) and (2) and definitely true.

(3) could be argued both ways, but I'm going to argue that the message in question was more beneficial to the sender than to the recipients.

The message did not contain warnings about a whole host of common computer virii, it was concentrated on one that you believe is affecting you from a user or users on these bulletin boards.

Furthermore, you started a thread on this topic for users like yourself who are concerned about this virus. This thread and the many responses in it constitutes a benefit for the users of this forum. Thus, the sending of the email resulted in more benefit for the sender than it did for the recipients, who already had ample opportunity to learn about this virus on this forum.

I wholeheartedly defend our classification of your email message as spam.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

plasma2002 wrote:from: "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus " <klez-removal@schwippy.com>
thats not a spoof
this would be a spoof:

Is your name "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus"?
Do you in any way officially represent "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus"?

I'm pretty sure the answer to both of these questions is no. You used the name "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus" to draw attention to your message so that the recipients would open it and read it, rather than simply send it to the trash, where it belongs.

You may not have 'spoofed' a Big-O Software email address, but you certainly knew that using the name "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus" would benefit you more than using the name 'Brian' or 'Plasma' or something else, and that's why you did it.
-Mark
Big-O Software
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Big-O Mark wrote:You may not have 'spoofed' a Big-O Software email address, but you certainly knew that using the name "Big-O-Software - AIM Plus" would benefit you more than using the name 'Brian' or 'Plasma' or something else, and that's why you did it.

i guess i cant deny that.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

yeah man i mean if you did and didnt mean to do it was an honest mistake but admit to it and you wont dig yourself any deeper
tone
plasma2002

Post by plasma2002 »

Im not trying to dig the hole deeper.... im just trying to stick up for myself.

But i guess i cant really. those 2 bad thigs overpower all the good things about what i did, so i dont really have any floor to stand on here.

So i guess what i can do is just stop complaining about it and see what happens.

Mark, Ryan, it should be obvious that i know what i did wasnt the best thing to do. But i also appoligize to you two for any crap you had to go through because of the emails. As well as the users of the board. Even though it was one email, i didnt mean to alarm anybody by this at all. I did not mean for this to get out of hand at all. Judging by the tone of the past few posts, it doesnt really sound like its a possibility. But just until i get a yes or no, i will be standing by on the decision of a less severe punishment at all.

I mean, ive posted a lot of helpfull stuff to the boards and i love em too.... but if you guys really feel i should be permenantly banned, then i guess theres not much i can do.