Just Registered
Just Registered

Judgemental?

Post by SuperJoe »

My View:
Either Big-O-Software is:
A. Being harassed by Aol/Time Warner.
Or
B. They didn't make the required deadline and are comming up with excuses.

Think about it....Either of these reasons make it their best interest to keep us in the dark either by force or embarassment And who would harass Big-O-Software this much and why?.....Unless it is a major corperation. If it isn't why don't they just turn them in.
So:
-Is 3.0 completed?
-Are they being harassed by a corperation and can't say for threat of a law suit?
-Why are we being left in the dark?
-Specifically, What is really going on?
Rocksolid
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Rocksolid »

I can't lie and say i'm astonished to hear for whatever reason, AIM + is no more. If one has faith in the answer given by the Big-O crew then it's just another everyday occurence in the corrupt world we live in.
The only thing i can say is giving up is losing the fight... if you ever want to see someone that has been placed against the odds ten times anything done to the Big-O crew then see Steve Gibson of Http://www.grc.com

The idea of AIM + is over i guess!
Seth2
Just Registered
Just Registered

Guess I won't be upgrading AIM any time soon...

Post by Seth2 »

I'm loyal to AIM+, even if I have to wait til my next lifetime to upgrade to 3.0
For those of you who want to go back to an older version of AIM to continue using a great product, try oldversion.com
I completely understand the guys when they say that being out of school has shortened their free time. I am glad that they were able to give to the world an EXCELLENT piece of software. Even if they never release a new version, everyone will remember their contribution to the Internet community. It's terrible to see people angered over the fact that they won't be getting their new, FREE product upgrade. Remember, free rides never come cheap!
Knight

Post by Knight »

Hmm. a post a minute for about an hour, then it stops. :-)
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Big-O Mark wrote:
DADINK13 wrote:1) What happened to the forums a few days before the release?
2) What happened with the website the day of the release?
3) Why are we being held so in the dark about what's really going on?
Quetions 1, 2, and 3 were all due to the ongoing harassment of Big-O Software, because of AIM+. As the release date neared, these actions intesified to the point that it was in our best interests to cancel the release of AIM+ 3.0 rather than continue to endure the attacks against us.
It seemed to be more caused by the buginess of PHP and MySQL database, not an intentional thing.
AnyoneEB

Post by AnyoneEB »

There's people talking in the two chat rooms, so they aren't talking on the fourms.
MCaussade9
Just Registered
Just Registered

getting into these "chat" rooms

Post by MCaussade9 »

How do I get into these chat rooms without actually getting invited... im just not seeing any option in any of the menu's for AIM or AIM+ for getting into a chat other than "Inviting" someone for a chat... help me out here pleez :)
ashtray
Addict
Addict

Post by ashtray »

invite yourself to "big o chat"
Last edited by ashtray on Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
please stop. now.
Aaron
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Aaron »

Well this stinks. I sure hope whoever is responsible gets what they deserve. Yet another group of people making my generation look like crap.

Good luck
JohnyReb
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: hmm

Post by JohnyReb »

pdykstra600 wrote:something sounds kind of weird about this whole thing, and to be honest it almost sounds to me like the people their talking about who were harrasing them was AOL. I mgiht be wrong, but its just a thought.
Yea thats what i though when i first read it. AOL has been knwo to take peopls domans and shut them down.(like www.aolsucks.com) I woudl not put it past the fuckers to get some poeple to do this to AIM+
The Power Of Beer Compels you!!!!
Gizzy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Gizzy »

Why not just go to AIM.com and choose "Windows 95" and snag the latest 4.x release, it'd save more time than looking on other sites for it.

I don't really understand how a few defacements would peeve a company off so much, my personal documents have been droped everywhere in cyberspace (I'm the "dreaded" ringleader of UPIN and UGN, member of PPC, and affiliate of UPL/PLA), one gets used to childish people.

I hope that this setback doesn't last, I'd really love to see this software worked on more, heck I'd be willing to help, advertising, programming, etc.
rare_as_six
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by rare_as_six »

[what a doof i am, i completely posted this in the wrong area...*sigh* i guess you all can tell i'm a bit new at this]

First of all, I'd like to give my support to Big-O-Software for making such an incredible and unique product--for free. It's really refreshing to know that they're not in this for money, although i'm sure if they were, they would be RICH.

Let me continue by saying that whatever happened that prompted the decision to suddenly pull AIM+ from release must have been serious. Maybe it's me, but i don't see any benefit on Big-O's behalf by pulling the plug. Whatever the case, I can live without AIM+ if it means keeping people out of legal disputes and torment. I honestly don't think this should be as big of a deal as it is.

On the other hand, if AOL Time-Warner is behind this, maybe Big-O could give them some suggestions on how to improve upon AIM. After all, aren't the features of AIM+ what endeared it to us in the first place?

I think I've said enough, and I realize this entire issue makes some people really irate---and not without reason, i'll agree--but we should really learn to prioritize.
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Man this sucks. Im sure AOL is behind this somehow cuz they just too dumb to make their own product good. I wish i had money (not taht im materialistic but its what a capitalist country is all about, not that i have anything against it) if i had money i would actually work with yahoo or somethin to make a new IM program. Why do people have to ruin such a good thing. Whoever did it should get run over. Lame just cuz they cant do wat other people can doesnt mean they have to be ignorant and say "if i cant do it than no one else can."
rashly

Post by rashly »

well there are a few possible scenarios:

1) aol threatened lawsuit

2) they received threats (phone calls, letters. email wouldnt warrent them not releasing aim+)
-could be from asshole hackers with nothing better to do
-could be from competitors

3) they arent done with it, or never made it

4) they had hackers that deleted the program and source

im not too sure its 1 because they said they were being harrassed. there is a possibility though. as for 3, it could be that they arent done because their first reason was that they didnt have as much time as they used to, but i doubt it. 4 is highly unlikely. so its most likely the threats, and i doubt its from competitors. its probably just some assholes with nothing better to do, so they just screw around with people.

the board couldve been DOSed which put it down 2 days before the release date. if it is threats, they should go to the police, and they would gladly trace the DOS attacks because its just not screwing up a website, the people are also threatening someones life.

i would hope that they would release it anyway, because who would hurt someone over a release of some software? its just empty threats.

if it never gets released, i hope it will at least be open source to keep the legacy alive.

i dont think big-o tried to screw us at all. if it has anything to do with not being paid, i would gladly donate 10$ to a paypal account to keep them going (and i never pay for software, but to me, this is worth it).

big-o is great, and i hope that we will eventually see aim+3 (sooner than later).
JohnyReb
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by JohnyReb »

rashly wrote:
i dont think big-o tried to screw us at all. if it has anything to do with not being paid, i would gladly donate 10$ to a paypal account to keep them going (and i never pay for software, but to me, this is worth it).

big-o is great, and i hope that we will eventually see aim+3 (sooner than later).
I thought that they said that the porgrma was done but they said they where holiding the relase date tillt he Dec 11. If that was true than it is finished, and i belive that it is finished and they are not trying to screw us. I thank AOL is just pissed off, or peopel working for AOL. I woudl also donate $10. As long as this doens;lt turn into a "FREE KEVIN" thing and take 12 years to finish =P
The Power Of Beer Compels you!!!!