The Future of Big-O Software and AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

voltron

Re: Open Source

Post by voltron »

cbarnes913 wrote:Mark and Ryan:

I know this has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen a response from you guys, so I will ask again (hoping that I am not being pushy).

If you should decide to stop the development of AIM+ by yourselves, would you consider moving it to sourceforge and continue your project through an open source development? I am sure there are many people that would like to contribute to the project.

Also, I'd like to join everyone else in saying that I am very sorry to hear the news about the harassment. It is very unfortunate that people cannot be mature enough to just enjoy this excellent piece of software. Thanks for your time guys.
Not one Big-O member has even responded about GPLing this. I don't what the heck is going on here, it sucks AIM3.0 won't be released.. what sucks more is how dependent on this program everyone is. All these teenagers are crying because their software won't come out and they had to upgrade to shitty AIM5. Well listen, AIM is shitty period.

Try alternatives if you can't live without AIM3.0 but you need AIM. AIM has such a monopoly on the IM market, that everyone who owns a computer probably has some sort of AIM compatible chat client, including me. But I use something more open.. GAIM!

It's had tabbed windows since day 1. Chat with an away message on since day 1. Send file support, etc.

Granted it's not full AIM, it's 6MB of memory, with logging capabilities, plugins support (including encryption) and it's OPEN SOURCE, because just like Big-O developers, they care about the end-user.

Build the gaim CVS and run it, it's worth it.

Everyone is sad their favorite software won't come out, ok understandable. But don't keep crying and moaning. You clearly can't change Big-O's mind. One of 2 things:

(1) This was planned by Big-O as an exit for not wanting to do AIM3.0, not completing it, etc.
(2) They really got attacked, which is weird, considering a lot of information has been available from the beginning, it didn't all of a sudden come gushing out a week before the release.

By not releasing AIM3.0, the Big-O has succumbed to the "attackers" goal. Sad, but deal with it! Move on, it could have been worse. This is a computer program for a shitty commercial program.

Thanks Big-O for the program, sad to see it go. Again, think about GPLing and letting others work on it.. come to think of it... you're excuse would probably be: "well we might come back in the future..."

Give us some AIM3.0 screenshots if it's done. Prove it's done at least, don't release it. Big-O remark: "No, that's not right, we won't show it either."

Blah,
voltron

Should probably give a Gaim link of anyone's interested (no i'm not a gaim developer -- wouldn't matter though, no money for developers): http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim ... alpha3.exe
Last edited by voltron on Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
border9
Addict
Addict

Post by border9 »

Big-O's Bitch wrote:naw... screw these guys. they need to know they suck and that people think they suck. i hope they read through these 15 pages of people saying how much they suck... screw them, screw aim+.
DUde, you need to calm the fuck down, before i fuckin hunt your stupid bitch ass down, and fuckin cock wip you. and you dont want that shit happening, cause if it does, im going ot be one pissed off customer. Look they put time and effort behind this shit, wiether or not they fuckin got the shit done of not, its there FUCKING BUSINESS. get off there balls, yeah they should have told us, hey guys, the shits not coming out for 3 of 4 more weeks, sorry. we got waylayed. but hey, fuck it. its to late for that shit. and you know who it is that fuckin pisses them off, STUPID BITCHES like you. so hold your negative fuckin coments to your fuckin self. and shut the fuck up :)

sorry for the languge. :P
Welcome to my w0rld :P
voltron

Post by voltron »

Border9 wrote:DUde, you need to calm the fuck down, before i fuckin hunt your stupid bitch ass down, and fuckin cock wip you. and you dont want that shit happening, cause if it does, im going ot be one pissed off customer. Look they put time and effort behind this shit, wiether or not they fuckin got the shit done of not, its there FUCKING BUSINESS. get off there balls, yeah they should have told us, hey guys, the shits not coming out for 3 of 4 more weeks, sorry. we got waylayed. but hey, fuck it. its to late for that shit. and you know who it is that fuckin pisses them off, STUPID BITCHES like you. so hold your negative fuckin coments to your fuckin self. and shut the fuck up :)

sorry for the languge. :P
case in point on my post on people who take AIM+ a little too personally.
border9
Addict
Addict

Re: Open Source

Post by border9 »

voltron wrote:
cbarnes913 wrote:Mark and Ryan:

I know this has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen a response from you guys, so I will ask again (hoping that I am not being pushy).

If you should decide to stop the development of AIM+ by yourselves, would you consider moving it to sourceforge and continue your project through an open source development? I am sure there are many people that would like to contribute to the project.

Also, I'd like to join everyone else in saying that I am very sorry to hear the news about the harassment. It is very unfortunate that people cannot be mature enough to just enjoy this excellent piece of software. Thanks for your time guys.
Not one Big-O member has even responded about GPLing this. I don't what the heck is going on here, it sucks AIM3.0 won't be released.. what sucks more is how dependent on this program everyone is. All these teenagers are crying because their software won't come out and they had to upgrade to shitty AIM5. Well listen, AIM is shitty period.

Try alternatives if you can't live without AIM3.0 but you need AIM. AIM has such a monopoly on the IM market, that everyone who owns a computer probably has some sort of AIM compatible chat client, including me. But I use something more open.. GAIM!

It's had tabbed windows since day 1. Chat with an away message on since day 1. Send file support, etc.

Granted it's not full AIM, it's 6MB of memory, with logging capabilities, plugins support (including encryption) and it's OPEN SOURCE, because just like Big-O developers, they care about the end-user.

Build the gaim CVS and run it, it's worth it.

Everyone is sad their favorite software won't come out, ok understandable. But don't keep crying and moaning. You clearly can't change Big-O's mind. One of 2 things:

(1) This was planned by Big-O as an exit for not wanting to do AIM3.0, not completing it, etc.
(2) They really got attacked, which is weird, considering a lot of information has been available from the beginning, it didn't all of a sudden come gushing out a week before the release.

By not releasing AIM3.0, the Big-O has succumbed to the "attackers" goal. Sad, but deal with it! Move on, it could have been worse. This is a computer program for a shitty commercial program.

Thanks Big-O for the program, sad to see it go. Again, think about GPLing and letting others work on it.. come to think of it... you're excuse would probably be: "well we might come back in the future..."

Give us some AIM3.0 screenshots if it's done. Prove it's done at least, don't release it. Big-O remark: "No, that's not right, we won't show it either."

Blah,
voltron

Should probably give a Gaim link of anyone's interested (no i'm not a gaim developer -- wouldn't matter though, no money for developers): http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gaim ... alpha3.exe
god damn, ive been gone most of the day lol, so i have some ketching up to do lol.

aight, GAIM is a really good program, both windows, and Unix togeather, the windows version is kinda ugly as shit lol, but its stable, and its got some good shit. the actuall program itself could use some spicing up lol. but hey its OpenSource :). Know I'd like to see AIM+ on the Open Source, cause hey, id work on it. and play around with it, it it was open source. Maybe the site got nuked and they got fucked with, maybe they didnt, but its there business why they stoped, and if they wanted us to know, they would tell us. so stop badgering them before you piss them off, and they get rid of the whole fuckin thing. :)

God damn alot of typing lol. i cant even see straight lol.

Gone. . .
Welcome to my w0rld :P
ruazn2
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by ruazn2 »

What I don't get is why would some1 attack specifically against AIM+? Some1 might of talked about this in a post somewhere but still it doesn't make sense. Logically, its either AOL or a competitor of AIM+. AOL would probably sue them if they want to shut down AIM+ and I don't think there's any competitors from AIM+ that's making any money anyway from a similar product so no pt in attacking AIM+. Mark/Ryan say they have a pretty good idea of who the attackers are so why don't they call the police or something? How the hell would they know that by not releasing AIM+ the attack would stop? It's like negoiating with the North koreans, sure they say they will stop the nuclear program but did they really? Nope! Those sick ppl might just keep doing it god forbid! If its something personal, then why does it have to do with AIM+ alone? Why isn't hkSFV also threatened? Why don't you tell us and maybe we can help out? If you guys haven't done anything illegal and stuff then there really isn't anything to hide. Obviously this group/person have a strong influence in your guys's life, so by agreeing to their demands, its just gonna make it worse don't you think? What's preventing them from blackmailing you guys for money later on? So it's quite fishy if you ask me, the fact that they aren't doing anything and won't tell us anything indicates that they got something to hide. Just my 2cents.
hoozdapimp

Post by hoozdapimp »

hey i'd like to thank you for linking us to GAIM...i hadn't used that since back in the day when i still used linux...

i didn't even know they had a windows version for this...how cool
thanks again

I encourage all of you to check it out....if aim+3 isn't going to be released, this is definitely your best bet...and even if it is released, this still might be your best bet...i doubt aim3+ will implement tabbed windows, and all the other cool stuff GAIM has

edit: OMG, it even has a real time spell checker (not that i will use it , but that's pretty tite anyway :) ), and it has something called "buddy pounce" where upon the buddy signing on, coming back from being away, you can do things like send a specified message to them, play a sound, popup a chat window to type to them, etc...oh yeah and it has that typing indicator too...the list goes on and on people
Last edited by hoozdapimp on Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
SticklerX
Just Registered
Just Registered

Good Job, Major Props

Post by SticklerX »

Mark and Ryan:
Thank you. You have provided an incredible product to thousands of people, asking nothing in return. You have coded, tested, hosted, distributed a fantastic piece of brilliant software. Over the past year i've used AIM+ and grown to love it. I hope that any hardships that you have endured have not completely crushed your sprits. I support your decision to not release AIM+, as you have asked nothing for all of your very generous deeds, and had such awful actions taken personally against you.
Im sure all of the crap you have been dealing with has taken its toll, but remember the difference you have made in our lives. Aim+ (silly as it sounds) definetly made a difference in mine. Logs are very powerful tools. AIM+ surely will be missed.

I wish both of you the best of luck in all your future endeavors,
And thank you both whole-heartedly

~Bryan
---Peace----
concernedUSER

They probably couldnt get it to work

Post by concernedUSER »

Its likley that they just couldnt get it to work. I mean think about it... They announce new software is to be expected at Dec11 and then what happens....
Dec11, and for a few days after that, the website mysteriously experiences technical problems (even though they demonstrae their coding ability w/ aim+ 2)...
Then when the site is up we find theres no new version, and theres a "pitty me" post up. If real life is really that tough then why

"hkSFV will continue to be fully supported, and we already have plans for future releases. Big-O Software also has plans and ideas for other new applications that we expect you will enjoy even more than AIM+. "

Concerned User
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

BoFiS wrote:
btvillarin wrote:I felt compelled to type this up. It took about 20 minutes, so I hope you all can refer to it before posting anything else.

All about the AIM+ happenings

I'll put this in my sig as well. ;) I hope it helps!

Bryan
If you can edit that page you should add in a link to the conversation with Mark:

http://neenmo.com/aim+faq.html

Dan
I dont know if this helps but I color coded the convo (red are all questions / comments and black is all Mark answers /comments). I did take out some things that did not get a answer to? :-? (I am sure I just missed the answer while stripping that huge file). I did NOT change the font style, but did take out the SN as I think that makes it more simple to read with no SNs. If you want to host the file also I have no problem with that (and could care less if you take out the "comments at the bottom of the page).

AIM+ Chat Convo
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

I know this is KIND of off topic, but can anyone help me with GAIM? It's having font issues.
~Kate~
SparkleSatine
Addict
Addict

Post by SparkleSatine »

Hrm. There are also no profiles...

That is, I, the user, cannot create a profile for myself.
~Kate~
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Big-O-Software company?

Post by Michael »

texpayne wrote:
Michael wrote: You must admit that it's not very responsible of a software company to hype a release date for a few weeks

Michael, with all due respect...

Big-O-Software is not a company, they aren't making profit off of this. They wouldn't have hyped it if they had anticipated the problems that arose. I understand that its obviously not the worlds business what problems they are having or they would share, as they realize that we love their product as much as they used to enjoy making it. For now, we'll just need to support them, and if they ever can further develop AIM+, great! and if not, then thats too bad that whoever the mean people are caused it.

Mark/Ryan... If you ever can use my help as a moderator/promoter/or just a lil $$ for the great cause that you provided for free when you could do so... let me know. I join the other several people on this listserv who are greatful that you were willing to putt the work into it you did and I hope that this shall all pass in time, whether or not you ever continue AIM+. Good luck and godspeed with it all.
No, with all due respect, that still doesn't change my point.
davedog

stop...

Post by davedog »

...kissing butt.

you know, the big-o team sucks. i bet they didn't even create any AIM+ 3.0 ALL HYPE I TELL YA. they wanted to end with a bang on their birthday. well good job making thousands of users annoyed. the least that could be done is to make AIM+ an open source software so other people could work on it.

so all of you "i still like big-o-NAME"-- gimme a break. if you like them, then go meet them. if you like their software, then WAKE UP: IT'S OLD and misleading (can i remind you of previous security issues).

REALLY. if punishing everyone because of some hackers, then isn't that giving the hackers the victory? they win if their mischeif causes total chaos! the big-o team isn't that stupid, they just ar liars =)

so
1) the big-o team let the bad party win
2) they weren't even done with AIM+!
3) they lied when they admitted previously to have work done past version 3.0
4) http://neenmo.com/aim+faq.html is very interesting

they should stop saying they aren't "releasing" AIM+ 3.0. they should say that they aren't going to "complete" it.
Anthony

Re: stop...

Post by Anthony »

davedog wrote:you know, the big-o team sucks.
Yet you feel the need to waste your time on their forums.
davedog wrote: i bet they didn't even create any AIM+ 3.0
As far as I remember they never made any promise but that it would work with 5.x, and we all know that would be a piece of cake to do.[/quote]
davedog wrote: so all of you "i still like big-o-NAME"-- gimme a break. if you like them, then go meet them. if you like their software, then WAKE UP: IT'S OLD and misleading (can i remind you of previous security issues).
Bashing people you dont even know... oh and the big-o-(insert rude remark here) has got to stop.
davedog wrote:if punishing everyone because of some hackers, then isn't that giving the hackers the victory?
I dont feel punished... upset maybe...
davedog wrote: 1) the big-o team let the bad party win
1) no matter what they do they cant win..
2)What do you consider "done"? It could have been pushed out the door had they wanted to
3)They lied? They said AIM+ would be DONE on the 11th not that it was complete.
4) Whoa! I agree with you

they should stop saying they aren't "releasing" AIM+ 3.0. they should say that they aren't going to "complete" it.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Re: stop...

Post by Timelessblur »

davedog wrote:...kissing butt.

you know, the big-o team sucks. i bet they didn't even create any AIM+ 3.0 ALL HYPE I TELL YA. they wanted to end with a bang on their birthday. well good job making thousands of users annoyed. the least that could be done is to make AIM+ an open source software so other people could work on it.

so all of you "i still like big-o-NAME"-- gimme a break. if you like them, then go meet them. if you like their software, then WAKE UP: IT'S OLD and misleading (can i remind you of previous security issues).

REALLY. if punishing everyone because of some hackers, then isn't that giving the hackers the victory? they win if their mischeif causes total chaos! the big-o team isn't that stupid, they just ar liars =)

so
1) the big-o team let the bad party win

Y the hell are you even posting then on the forums if all you are going to do i bitch. Most likely the have aim 3.0 done to a point were it works but the harassment they have been getting make relasing it not worth it. and with out the Big-o-team AIM+ would never of come to be also I doute things like deadaim would of come 2 since a lot of the stuff in deadaim is copied from aim+. davedog learn to look at it from there side