DeadAIM

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

DeadAIM

Post by iamvoyager »

1st, I'd like to appologize to Big-O if they consider this spam. I consider it helping take the aim ppl off their hands since they dont want us anymore.

DeadAIM is a great program, it has basically the same features as AIM+, but it works with AIM 5.x. They are also still active, therefore evolving

Features Include:

-AIM Cloning
-Logging of conversations, including options for Logging sign ons/offs/when away/and when back
-Log manager with search capability
-Tabed IM windows
-Transparency
-MSN style popups that can be set for Buddy Sign on, Off, Back, and Away
-Customize Buddy list window (Remove General or list buttons)
-Hide Stock Ticker
-Suppress AIM Today
-No ads
-free

The only downside I can think of is it's features arent quite as easy to access as AIM+'s are, you have to go thru the "My AIM" menu to change the settings for each of the features

You can find it at: http://www.jdennis.net
Last edited by iamvoyager on Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

iamvoyager,

Talking about DeadAIM here is starting to be like "beating a dead horse". It has cropped up on mutiple threads over and over again. Especially the one talking about people's AIM Add-in preference.

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=2328

Right now, I think your post is just viewed as your opinion to what you are going to use as a replacement to AIM+.

And as far as not wanting AIM people around here anymore. I think the members that are still coming around here are AIM people but are waiting in excitement to see what Big-O comes out with next.

Ray
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

well i applogize to those of you who care about what else big-o might do

i for one have no interest in the "other" program they currently have

just thought they probably didnt want us around talking about aim so much, they did after all lock the aim+/aim forums, only reopening after it took over the general forum
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

iamvoyager,

I didn't mean to sound antagonistic or attacking you. I just wanted to state my opinion that I don't feel like Big-O is abandoning the AIM people. In my opinion they have made a business decision and are sticking to it.

On the converse, you have every right to your opinion and am not faulting you for stating that you feel abandoned and are posting an alternative product that you are proud to use.

I was just intending to point out that the post may have been more appropriately placed in a thread already talking about DeadAIM.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ray
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

okay,

i'd just like to point out that i did not state that i feel abandoned

edit: what opinion of mine? seems like everyone pulls stuff out of thin air in these forums (or maybe they dont read the the post before replying?)
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

actually.... the whole concept of deadAIM and aim+ is nothing but opinion based.

Most of the regular users here still use aim+ with aim 4.8

its just up to the user on if they wanna go for a crappier program for a few more features.......... ya sacrafice certain things for other things when ya make the switch. So really its nothing but the opinion on what they think of the program

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

i did not state an opinion on the program, i was just informing ppl who may not know about the alternative program for aim

now i am stating an opinion: DeadAIM doesnt seem at all crappy to me, i am not SACRAFICING for it at all, it has everything that aim+ did, and hopefuly has a more dependable team

it works with the new version of AIM, and is still active, i dont see why you would* stick with aim+
Dice599
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dice599 »

iamvoyager wrote:i did not state an opinion on the program, i was just informing ppl who may not know about the alternative program for aim

now i am stating an opinion: DeadAIM doesnt seem at all crappy to me, i am not SACRAFICING for it at all, it has everything that aim+ did, and hopefuly has a more dependable team

it works with the new version of AIM, and is still active, i dont see why you would* stick with aim+
Most people who frequent these boards don't like DeadAIM, and I tend to agree w/ them. That is why I would stick with AIM+. And in your original post about DeadAIM you did state 'an opinion on the program':
iamvoyager wrote:DeadAIM is a great program
That is an opinion. Or at least that's my opinion on what an opinion is.
Last edited by Dice599 on Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Beta Tester
ExploreAnywhere Software, LLC

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

iamvoyager wrote: i am not SACRAFICING for it at all

.........you must not use the history very much then

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

I stick with AIM+ for the same reason I am still using MSN Messenger 4.6. I don't like the newer version (in this case we are talking about the newer version of AIM, not AIM+).

Also, I appologize profusely about misinterpreting your original post. I thought when you said
iamvoyager wrote:I consider it helping take the aim ppl off their hands since they dont want us anymore.
you were stating that you felt that Big-O had abandoned us. I may have read too much into that statement and I'm sorry. :sad:

Also it is my opinion and judgement that when a person put in a plug for a product (whether verbal or written) it is strictly an expression of their opinion about the product. I tend to take the personal opinions and combine them with "professional" review (on TechTV, News.com, etc) and then formulate my own opinion on a product. Despite how it sounds I appreciate your two cents on the DeadAIM issue.

Ray
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

Dice599 wrote:
iamvoyager wrote:i did not state an opinion on the program, i was just informing ppl who may not know about the alternative program for aim

Most people who frequent these boards don't like DeadAIM, and I tend to agree w/ them. That is why I would stick with AIM+. And in your original post about DeadAIM you did state 'an opinion on the program':
iamvoyager wrote:DeadAIM is a great program
That is an opinion. Or at least that's my opinion on what an opinion is.

You are correct, I appologize. I* apparently did not read my own post carefully enough, just skimmed thru cuz I did not remember giving an opinion

Anyway, the point of the post was not opinion based, that was a fairly generic introduction to the program.
Plasma2002b wrote:
iamvoyager wrote: i am not SACRAFICING for it at all

.........you must not use the history very much then
Is something wrong with it? Believe it or not, I am open minded, I did after all post what I saw as the only problem with the software.
harra wrote:I stick with AIM+ for the same reason I am still using MSN Messenger 4.6. I don't like the newer version (in this case we are talking about the newer version of AIM, not AIM+).

Also, I appologize profusely about misinterpreting your original post. I thought when you said
iamvoyager wrote:I consider it helping take the aim ppl off their hands since they dont want us anymore.
you were stating that you felt that Big-O had abandoned us. I may have read too much into that statement and I'm sorry. :sad:

Also it is my opinion and judgement that when a person put in a plug for a product (whether verbal or written) it is strictly an expression of their opinion about the product. I tend to take the personal opinions and combine them with "professional" review (on TechTV, News.com, etc) and then formulate my own opinion on a product. Despite how it sounds I appreciate your two cents on the DeadAIM issue.

Ray
Out of curiousity, what dont you like about the new version? I think all of the new features can be disabled anyway. Of course if you dont like to have extra "crap", I can understand that.

I appreciate your appology. I had only assumed that they wouldnt want us to stick around

I did not mean to post my opinion of the software, only a recommendation (which isnt entirely the same thing :wink: )
ImmortalDragon
Banned
Banned

Post by ImmortalDragon »

I just recently switched to deadaim with aim 5.1
Deadaim is a little harder to access everything, but both deadaim and aim+ are good. The only reason I switched to deadaim is cause of new features.
But time flows like a river...
And history repeats...

http://boards.sytes.net
^^MY BOARDS^^
Frank Grimes

Post by Frank Grimes »

iamvoyager wrote:DeadAIM doesnt seem at all crappy to me, i am not SACRAFICING for it at all, it has everything that aim+ did, and hopefuly has a more dependable team
I don't think I would call the Big-O team undependable. Mark and Ryan are still here, they're still trying to help users out who are having problems with AIM+, and they're working on new programs. They have provided us with many new versions of AIM+. Even though they failed to deliver the latest version, they seem to have very good reasons for it.
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

Post by iamvoyager »

we obviously couldnt depend* on them releasing what they said they would after waiting around so long
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

How long did we actually "officaly" wait? Waiting for a new version and waiting for something the say will come out is two diffrent things. We all knew a new version of Windows would come out after Win95 but did how long did it take for them to make it offical... oh and how long did we have to wait after it was offical?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ