Buddy Icon Question

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

J3utton
Addict
Addict

Buddy Icon Question

Post by J3utton »

Ok, quick quesstion... I know buddy Icons are just pictures/images, but for some reason when Aim saves other peoples buddy icons on your computer it saves it in a weird format... "BuddyIcon.ID"... whatever these ".ID" files are I have no idea. What I want to do is somehow change them to a .gif or something so I can edit one. So doea anyone know how to convert them to .gif or open them or something?

... I tried to upload the file so you guys could see what I was talking about... but "The Extension id is not allowed", these forumns wont let me...
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I have no idea if this will work, but you can try changing the file extension from .ID to .gif, that might help you. Windows will think it is a GIF, and since it was originally (when the user uploaded it) you might be able to change it back using that method. But the .ID tag may have altered data and you might have to convert it by some other means.

(Just so you know, I've never tried to do anything with the buddy icon files--this is just a basic Windows technique I know, so it may or may not work--and I'd make a copy of the buddy icon file you are attempting to alter first, and work from that.)
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

well thanx for tryin to help... but I already tried that a while ago... when I rename it I just end up with "BuddyIcon.gif.id".... Iv also tried opening it up in image programs and all kinds of other crap that I can think of...
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

J3utton wrote:well thanx for tryin to help... but I already tried that a while ago... when I rename it I just end up with "BuddyIcon.gif.id".... Iv also tried opening it up in image programs and all kinds of other crap that I can think of...
You're doing it wrong then. You have to enable viewing of file extensions, then select the extension and change it to .gif, not just add it to the end.
Matt

Post by Matt »

you could try right clicking on the image and selecting 'open with...' and choose an image viewer to view it with. and if that works, then choose save as... from the file menu and choose from the pull down menu "gif" format and that should work.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
J3utton
Addict
Addict

Post by J3utton »

Kooltab - theres not open with on the right click menu... sometimes it has open with sometimes not... its kinda annoying

Michael - Wow... i cant believe I didn't think of that on my own... such a simple little thing... I completely forgot that I had that disabled.... renaming it worked for the most part... some things got screwed up in the translation but its all fixable... thanx
und3rgr0und
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by und3rgr0und »

what ive done in the past is, use paint shop pro or photoshop and take a screen capture around the buddy icon then crop it to 51x51 and save it as whatever... :lol:

-jason
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Do this:

1. Open My Computer
2. Open the Tools menu and click Folder Options
3. Go to the View property sheet
4. Uncheck the box that says "Hide extensions for known file types"
5. Press OK
6. Go to the directory with all the ID files
7. Click on one and press F2 (to rename the file)
8. Change the extension to what it should be (sound icons should be wav's, images can be gif, jpg, bmp, ico, or xbm)
9. Open it in your preferred viewer