GoodAim

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

BuckWindy wrote:
idejsecrofkrad wrote:Oh, will screenname replacement mess up the way AIM+ logs IMs? It seems that it would.
Yea it does, like if u had someone named bobby1224 and then u renamed him to Big Bob, it will now start a new log under that different name. But I think anytime someone changed their buddy name format, this would also occur.
Actually, AIM+ will log history into the existing directory even when a buddies reformat their screennames. It was corrected quite a few versions ago :).
-Mark
Big-O Software
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

problem is, it wont putt it up automatically from the history viewer :wink:

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
pepperell

goodaim

Post by pepperell »

i noticed that the average number of people going to the goodaim webpage per day went from around 10, to around 40 the past few days. speaking as the creater of goodaim, i wanted to know what was up, so i followed the refer link to this thread.

i would just like to say that that project was only an experiment. an experiment that kind of got a little out of control as people bugged and bugged me about 'this doesnt work' 'this should do this' 'why cant i do this' etc. the only reason i made goodaim was because i wanted to have that screenname replace feature that no other program at the time offered. still, no other program offers it even now. anyway, i created goodaim for myself, and uploaded to whoever wanted to download it.

after countless emails and IMs about why goodaim didnt work for them, most of which i just ignored, i started losing interest in updating the program with new features, etc. it was fun while it lasted. i stopped working on it early last summer.

recently (this past week,) i started a new project called Scraim. there are a lot of AIM addons that add a whole bunch of new features... and Scraim is NOT going to be one of them. instead, it is a complete AIM replacement, and includes a working scripting language (vbscript) that allows the program to be behave any way that you specify

so far, it works great. i even created a few scripts, one being a logging script. it logs all incoming and outgoing messages. "AIM+ can do this" you might say, but with editable scripts, if you dont like how its logging, you can just change it to suit your needs. you arent stuck with a built in logger that only does one thing, whether you like it or not. (im not trying to bash AIM+ or anything. i really think it is a great program)

i would post a link of a screenshot of the thing in action, but it isnt much to look at. the only part i made kinda pretty is the sign-on screen http://pepperell.net/scraim/scraimsignon3noback.gif

if you do go to the webpage, i suggest you dont download it. the version up there is buggy.

anyway, enough of my pointless blabbering. sorry for such a long post.

by the way, i do not care about typos on the news page that i have seen so many times, thinking i would correct them in the future, but never did. heh :)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well I would think a lot of people are happy that the person that made this replied. Sounds intresting.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
BuckWindy

Re: goodaim

Post by BuckWindy »

pepperell wrote:the only reason i made goodaim was because i wanted to have that screenname replace feature that no other program at the time offered. still, no other program offers it even now
Trillian has been having the 'buddy rename' feature for years. OK technically, it's not an Aim 'add-on', but it can indeed rename, and there's no 16 character limit either.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

aclauser wrote:Well I would think a lot of people are happy that the person that made this replied. Sounds intresting.
yes, it does..... i like the concept of editable scripting :)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Plasma2002b wrote:
aclauser wrote:Well I would think a lot of people are happy that the person that made this replied. Sounds intresting.
yes, it does..... i like the concept of editable scripting :)
I was looking into that. I think there needs to be more documentation though.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I like this program thingy idea. So is this scraim program going to work on the AIM network? or is it going to have all it's own protcols and everything.
Just a thought though, cause I know AOL doesn't like seperate competetive programs to access it's network unless you using their AIM. Alot of small program type businesses get shut down cause AIM/AOL doesn't like the competition.. :-?
Last edited by fuuucckkers on Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pepperell

scraim

Post by pepperell »

scraim does, and will always support the aim protocol
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Re: scraim

Post by Master Jedi »

pepperell wrote:scraim does, and will always support the aim protocol
I don't know how you feel about open source, but I'd love to see the source to scraim so I can learn more about it.
pepperell

Post by pepperell »

well to be honest with you, im not too fond of it. there are many open source aim clients out there though. check http://sourceforge.net
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Re: .

Post by Master Jedi »

pepperell wrote:well to be honest with you, im not too fond of it. there are many open source aim clients out there though. check http://sourceforge.net
I've written a number of different AIM clients before; I was just interested in seeing how yours worked. I usually release the source to everything I write.
pepperell

Post by pepperell »

well this is the first oscar client ive written. i have made a few TOC clients before, but i decided to try this. right now, im stuck on how the server sends out your buddylist. i mean, i understand how 90% of it works, how the buddy groups and buddys are all put together neatly, but the beginning of the buddylist message is the most confusing. it seems like the 'blocked' screennames and the 'allowed' screennames are randomly thrown in with a bunch of other stuff. when i figure this out, ill continue working on releasing a new copy of scraim
pepperell

Post by pepperell »

BuckWindy wrote: Trillian has been having the 'buddy rename' feature for years. OK technically, it's not an Aim 'add-on', but it can indeed rename, and there's no 16 character limit either.
show me another AIM _add-on_ (not separate client, like trillian) that has this feature, and ill give you a million dollars.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

pepperell wrote:
BuckWindy wrote: Trillian has been having the 'buddy rename' feature for years. OK technically, it's not an Aim 'add-on', but it can indeed rename, and there's no 16 character limit either.
show me another AIM _add-on_ (not separate client, like trillian) that has this feature, and ill give you a million dollars.
Ok, first of all. Do you HAVE a million dollars. $10 bucks says I could find one. And i'll even give you $10 through paypal if i dont find one. :wink: