Un limited buddy list

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Un limited buddy list

Post by Guest »

I get alot of people asking me for programs that will allow them to have an unlimited buddy list. I think adding this feature to aim+ would be a really good and useful addon.
-Josh
Webmaster of www.beeZnest.com
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

The current AOL imposed limit of 200 buddies is a lot :). I'd need to go back to college for another 4 years to break that limit!

The upcoming cloning feature should help with this. If worse comes to worse, and somebody really has a need for this, you could talk to seperate groups of friends on different screennames.

It would be nice to make the buddy list unlimited in the future. I remember when AIM used to be limited to 100 buddies, and now they're up to 200. Maybe they'll simply increase it again if enough people bug them? I'm not sure exactly how plausible it is to break the limit in AIM+, though.
-Mark
Big-O Software
sn0n
Addict
Addict

Post by sn0n »

::looks at the 200 buddies on muh list::
but.. i want more!

hehe..
Nemessis
Addict
Addict

Post by Nemessis »

there is a way to change this is the registry to allow more buddies. there is also a program to help you customize windows. let me find it.

xteq x-setup
http://www.xteq.com/downloads/
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I've heard these registry tweaks to allow 200+ buddies no longer work (perhaps it has something to do with the buddy lists being stored on the server..).

If anybody does come across a working method, please let me know.
-Ryan
Big-O Software

Post by Guest »

would this be possible? is the limit set to 200 at the aim server or in the aim program itself?

Post by guest »

yes you can change the max buddies in the registry, but everytime you fire AIM up, it has an auto check system that automatically changes it back to 200, no way around it from my point of view
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

You can find a setting in the registry for the max # of buddies, but as the last guest pointed out, it is not useful in the least (at least in terms of making it larger, haven't tried making it smaller :) ).

Buddy Lists are stored on the server, and synchronized (with your profile, etc), when you sign onto AIM. So, there is not likely a simple way to increase the size of the Buddy List. ;)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
eGod
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by eGod »

If you could filter out the packets that check for the maximum buddy list size or spoof them then it would let you get 200+ buddies but that is a little advanced for me. If this what was to happen it probably wouldn't let you have your 200+ buddy list show up on anyone elses's computer. Maybe if you implemented a feature that would sign on bogus screen names such as testSNhere12412 and as many as you wanted, and then everytime you signed on your primary AIM it would sign on those names too. Whenever you added buddies to your list it would actually put the buddies on those other SNs that were running while you didn't notice and whenever you wanted to send a message it would go threw your main name. Basically Im trying to say that you could make a bunch of junky SNs hold all of your 200+ buddies and whenever you IMed someone it would still send from the primary screen name you are on.
SN: Seniors
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

eGob,
haha, nice plan.
Animal!

you can change the size i think

Post by Animal! »

You can do it in the registry although I am not sure if it works.
GOTO---

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
America Online
AOL Instant Messenger [TM]
Buddy

Ok those are the folders this is the key.

MaxBuddies

The current entry should say 0x000000c8 (200) . The first part is the hexadcimal value and then the decimal value (You can edit it either way.)
Just change it to whatever number you want but the server might check for it.
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

im on version AIM 4.8.2768 and i can only get 150 buddies, since when were u able to get 200? but the whole unlimited list thing is cool and that registry thing just corrupted one of my sn's i cannot use anymore :(
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

That registry trick has not worked a while now.. I don't know if it still works for an older version of AIM, but I'd suspect that it stopped working when AIM started using buddy lists stored on the server.

Still, thanks for posting it, and try it at your own risk, if you'd like - but I just wanted the curious casual user to know that it won't work :).
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Triple T

There is a way for an unlimited buddy list and it isnt reg

Post by Triple T »

There is a program out that works in conjunction with aim..... it can be found at www.shadowagents.com under the download section...but u have to be a member. if the makers of aim+ like to have me sned them the program so they can study it and incorporate it with there program my aim s/n is Triple T0 and my E-Mail is Taltinator@hotmail.com . i hope this will help out
alexus

Post by alexus »

i have 185 now..