Leave computer running or shut it off?

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

Leah-la

Leave computer running or shut it off?

Post by Leah-la »

I was wondering, is it better to leave my computer running all the time, or to shut it off ever time I leave it? I have a 3 year old e-machine laptop, running Windows 98se. I know that it's sillie to shut it down every time I go to the bathroom, or if I just run out for a minute, but if I'm going to class, and I know I'm going to use it when I get back, should I leave it on? What is better for the computer? It's already dying, but I can't afford to get a new computer. This has to last me at the very least until I graduate next May. Thanks in advance.
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" -Unknown
--------------------------------------------------------
Leah-la
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Many people do believe firmly that one way or the other is significantly better for your computer, but usually their reasons seem based more in superstition than fact..

Some people say that leaving your computer on all the time is hard on it. Others think that starting it up, and turning it off is harder on it than leaving it running all the time (like your car).

I honestly don't know for sure. :) But I'd guess that it doesn't really matter - so I'd recommend doing whatever is more convenient.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I leave my computers on all the time. I have a 133 mhz running 24/7 for about 1 and 1/2 years, and it does not seem to have any problems from being left on all the time (it has slowed down over time but I blame having junk software pile up on it). I also have a 166 mhz computer that runs 24/7 for a little over a year now and I know it has not slowed down from having it on, as it will slow down... I'll format the HD and its pretty fast for the computer that it is. My mom also has a computer (some where in the 1 Ghz range), and granted we have only had it for severl months... well actually never mind that computer :wink: . There there is everyone else I know. They all leave their computers on 24/7, and as far as I know they have no problems based on it being on all the time. Now if you live in Cali... I think you should turn the computer off :wink: .
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Leah-la

Post by Leah-la »

Thanks, I had figured it didn't reallie matter since I know people who shut down their computers every time they leave the room, and others who never shut them down at all. But I figure I won't leave it on 24/7, that seems kinda sketchy, since thats like 12 hours of not using my computer when you factor in sleeping, showering and going to early class or work in the morning, leaving it on all night seems like cruel and unusual punishment :wink: . I think my computer does like to sleep at night. I feel like I'm torturing it if I leave it on all night. But I have no qualms with leaving it on all day :twisted: anywho, thanks for the advice! :cheesy:
"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock" -Unknown
--------------------------------------------------------
Leah-la
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Well I just read that you're running Windows 98se. Seeing that, you should shut down when you're not using it...say at night when you goto sleep. The main reason is that 98 has the kernal leak..and leaving it on for long periods of time will degrade the performace.
I myself have Windows 98 and leaving it on for about 2 days straight I get down to about 40% performance.
Running Win2000 / XP I'm sure it's a different story though..as there is no kernal leak.
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you were not meant to turn off the computer, why does everyone brag that XP has a great startup/shutdown time...

Personally, I can't seem to keep my XP on for more than a week without it slowing down somewhat. Normally, I see it slowly slowing down. The reason I turn it off at night is because I have it on all day and dont want to burn something out. I think it needs a rest period just like the rest of us. I treat mine as if it were a human...feed it (with info), clean it (with virus software), and let it go to bed at night (by shutting it down). Then I have a happy human...I mean machine.
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I leave my iBook on all the time, even when I carry it around (it says asleep as long as it is shut). But I don't leave it on at full power--I usually put it to sleep if I am going to be away from it for more than a half hour or so.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i leave my comp on all day all night, all week, all month...... lol......

it IS a server ya know :P
Last edited by Plasma2002b on Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Moon Child
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Moon Child »

Mine's on all the time, but I have XP. I usually use it to listen to mp3s while I fall asleep. I don't seem to have issues with it slowing down at all no matter how long I let it run. I do shut it off once in a while, primarily when I'm installing something and it needs to restart. Other than that its on constantly. I guess it all depends on what its being used for and how much is running at one time.
~Maeg

Resident LP Fanatic

*Nobody likes you when you're 23* - Blink 182

DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

I'm running XP Pro, and I leave it on all the time too. NO problems. The only time I notice slowdowns is when I sit down at it after my weekly virus scan. But after about a minute or so, it's back up tp full speed. :)
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

my laptop is on 24/7 as long as im at home.... and its constantly playing music.

I have the currently playing song on schwippy.com displayed.
I never turn the music off. lol.... i have about 8 days of use before it plays any song over again.

I have it as the first link in my AIM profile too so people can see what im listening to at the time.

:P

Whenever i dont want the music playing, i just turn the computer volume down, lol..... like i said, the music NEVER goes off :D

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

As far as wear and tear goes... that is very dependent on the quality of your components as well as the frequency of powering up/down. If a machine is switched on and off constantly it will actually wear it down faster than leaving it on because the components are being heated up and then cooled down over and over again which will significantly shorten their lifespan after a while. This is especially true with low-grade parts. If you leave your machine running all the time just be sure that it has reasonable temperatures and you should be fine. I leave my system running 24/7 without a hitch. I use Windows 2000 and I'll normally end up restarting it about once a month. That is almost always the result of installing or updating something, not a problem of any sort. I should also mention that different components react differently to constant use. While a hard drive may be slowly wearing out when it is left to run, having it turn on and off, or turn off after a set amount of time, can actually be worse for it because spinning up and down actually wears the bearings more than constant use. For this very reason server hard drives never stop spinning even when they aren't in use. PCB based components such as PCI/AGP cards are effected by the change in temperature when the computer shuts down and starts back up as I mentioned. That is why the cooler you keep your system the better. The rate of contraction/expansion and tension will be much less and should help increase the lifespan of your card(s). Monitors on the other hand can wear out if they are left on 24/7. You shouldn't have to worry about your screen getting burnt in as you did with older monitors but that RGB gun will give up eventually if it's left to draw all the time. I have my monitor set to shut off after 15 minutes of no use. Screen savers annoy the crap out of me.
:D
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

Me I running windows ME which in it self is problemmatic. I normal crash the computer before it hits a day. But I run my laptop for a few days straight before and that about it. I think you should restart you computer ever now and then to clean out the ram and what not. I do think you should turn you computer off if you gonig to be gone for a while and it will save power not having it on.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

You also have to remember about heat. I'm not talking about heat in the sense that the heat is bad for the PC, I'm talking about heat and it being bad for the user....lol

I used to run a computer 24/7 and the only reason I stopped doing it was because my bedroom was running 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Granted, it came in handy in the winter time (that 2 months in January/February in Houston) when I could use my PC to warm my bedroom.....lol

Plus, running a PC 24/7 can put a real draw on your power bill. Since I'm married and paying my "own way" it may be more of an impact on me than those living in dorms or still at home with mom and dad (please don't take that as a crack. I lived with my folks until I was 29. Who could turn down the all you could eat, unlimited use of the phone, free laundry service, and broadband connection for $100/month).
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

True is does add to the power bill (I don't live with mom and dad) but seeing as I don't have to pay rent and the bills are split by 3... it's not bad at all.
:D