Gameboy Advance SP

Discuss video games from NES to PS2 to PC to whatever.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, DADINK13, fuuucckkers

rocket733

Post by rocket733 »

Yeah, I was just going off what I saw from the pictures of their release party.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I didn't even know what this was until I looked at the IGN page last night. It is so sleek. Boy am I glad I didn't get a GBA yet. So thin. Can play any previous GB game (so to speak). Best of all its BACK LIT!
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

this post is old, but im curious. ne1 that pre-order, did ur gbasp ship yet? im still stuck in back-order, maby monday or tues it will ship 4 me
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Robpol86 wrote:this post is old, but im curious. ne1 that pre-order, did ur gbasp ship yet? im still stuck in back-order, maby monday or tues it will ship 4 me
I think they're not supposed to ship until early March. I would preorder one, but I don't have the cash at the moment. I wanna get me a GC before I get a GBASP.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

I'm thinking of importing a japanese one, it would cost me 20$ more but I'd get it next week and I could get a black one. (I'm only considering it because I'm already placing a big import order..)

There is one GBC game that isn't compatible with the GBA:SP, though, and it's really cool: Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble. It has special hardware in the cart..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

yes! mine came in 2day! but sadly, i cant read the manual! is there ne1 here that found a translater version?
XIII
Addict
Addict

Post by XIII »

Im dissapointed in the way the game goes in. I was considering getting one, and when i read that the only game that wont work is Kirby Tilt'n'tumble (b/c that game uses motion sensors that get messed up when upside-down) i desided not to get one, since thats one of the only games i play.
Anarchy and Peace - Learn and Teach.
Kill the panda!
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

The headphone adapter is also less than ideal -- but overall the device is really cool, and seems superior to the original in every other way.
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

isnt there a way they can make a 'y' adapter for ext2?
David
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by David »

One of my mates got one not long ago, and from what I can see its great. He got this 1 cartridge which had 50 games on it, but they werent crap ones like tetris, they were good games like Mario Kart. I want one, but i have just spent all my money on a Audigy 2 Soundcard.
www.lifeforums.2ya.com - Administrator
www.pc-forums.net - Moderator
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

I just got my GBA-SP yesterday, along with Metroid Fusion and the GBA/GCN link cable. I am very impressed with the machine, but like stated, it's good, but not perfect. But I love the ability to link it up with the GCN. I got to use Tingle a bit in Wind Waker, and it's really neat how it works. Since the GBA has RAM memory, it basically downloads Tingle's program to the unit, and everything happens in real-time on Tingle's screen as it does on the TV. Animal Crossing makes phenominal usage of the GBA link as well. Nintendo hit it right on the head with that sort of connectivity. :D
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Okay, time for a real hardware review of the GBA-SP.

After playing around with the thing for quite some time, I am overal pleased with it. It feels sturdy, and is actually smaller than my cell phone when it's closed--it's an inch shorter than my phone. The light, while bright, washes out the colors a bit on the screen. Battery life is great--I've only had to charge it once since I've had it--and I use it almost every day.

I only have two real complaints about the device:

1) No stereo sound? In order to get stereo sound, you gotta use headphones or hook up external speakers to the device. If you don't you're stuck using the cheesy little mono speaker in the device--and I think they could've managed to fit two tiny stereo speakers into it. But with no headphone jack, you need to buy the headphone adapter which plugs into the power port. So that means you can't have the GBA-SP plugged into the charger while using headphones.
2) Why aren't the connectors the other way around? The conectors on the top/back of the SP should be rotated 180 degrees. For those of you who have a GBA/GCN link cable (the Nintendo-made one...I heard the Mad Catz cable doesn't fit the SP), you probably noticed that you have to plug the cable into your GBA-SP upside-down. Instead of seeing the "Nintendo GameCube" writing etched into the cable, you see the patent information and the two screws that hold it together--which are on the bottom of the cable. If that description doesn't help, the plug that goes into the GBA-SP will be on the left side of the plug instead of the right side. Why didn't Nintendo design the SP so that the GBA/GCN link would plug in the correct way? Yea, it's more of a cosmetic thing, but it's still kind-of annoying.

My only other minor complaint is that the volume slider is little touchy. Nintendo's on the right track with the SP. Just redesign the device a bit, and they'll have a perfect portable. Hell, it took them almost 15 years to get it as close to perfect as it is right now (the original GameBoy was released in 1989 I believe).
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I finally got around to picking up a Game Boy Advance SP. Since I haven't had a Game Boy since the original first came out, I'm a bit behind the times ... what are the best games available? I've picked up Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, and Final Fight One so far ... it's fun playing the old Super NES games.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I say get megamanZero and the friends of mine who played that game loved it and are looking froward to Megazero 2 coming out. The story line pretty good. Just some of the missing facts from are in megaman X6 but it really does not matter since it all explain by the end it just hard to peice to geather some of the stuff at the begining. OH and super metriode (or what ever it called sorry dont remmeber).
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas
DADINK13

Post by DADINK13 »

Big-O Mark wrote:what are the best games available?
I have Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc., and an e-Reader. I wanna get all of the Mario Advance games since they are basically remakes of Mario 2, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, and the new one is Mario 3.

I'd suggest the classic platformers. If you can, try and avoid the remake of Zelda LttP. It's dead-on accurate except for one really annoying detail: they added in those annoying kiddie Link screams from OoT. :x

And unfortunatly, Super Metroid isn't available for the GBA. Honestly, I don't think they'll release it soley because the control scheme it has won't be the same going from six buttons to four. But Metroid: Zero Mission should be out this winter. That's a remake of the orignal Metroid, except it's larger, and you can use all of Samus' abilities that she's gained since Metroid Fusion.