Knoppix (Linux Distro)

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

xteq113

Knoppix (Linux Distro)

Post by xteq113 »

Does anyone here use knoppix? If so, what do you think about it? Is it worth getting?
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I've never heard of it. So if your asking my opinion.. I would not get it.

Stick with the well known Linux Distros.. Mandrake, Red Hat, Lindows, Suse, Slackware..etc.

And happy Linux Hunting! :D
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

I've not heard of it, either.

I personally like Red Hat (which I use), but I hear Mandrake is good, and Suse's personal edition is supposed to be great for beginners (and unlike early distributions of Suse, the Installation is in English now!).
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Michael wrote:I've not heard of it, either.

I personally like Red Hat (which I use), but I hear Mandrake is good, and Suse's personal edition is supposed to be great for beginners (and unlike early distributions of Suse, the Installation is in English now!).
I have Mandrake 8.2 (and 9 but dont use it). Its very easy to install.. takes roughly 10 minutes once you know what your doing.
Even for a first timer.. it might take you a good hour, but thats nothing compared to a Windows Install. :roll:

And the OS is very nice! I recommend Mandrake!

(As a side note, they might not be around much longer though..as the corporation that creates Mandrake filed for the UK equivilent of Chapter 11 sometime late last year)
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Yeah, I use Knoppix. It's great for newbies who just want to try Linux to see what it's about. You can't actually install it. They let you download an ISO which you obviously burn to a CD. It runs everything off the CD (amazingly fast for that, I have to say). It never touches your hard drive, so this way there is absolutely no chance to f' up your system. It does allow you to save to the HD, but you have to manually enable this. However, it does warn you not to do so on an NTFS disk, but FAT32 seems to have no problems.

I highly recommend Knoppix for any newbie Linux user. But seriously, because it doesn't actually save to your disk, settings have to be saved to a floppy, and some of the actual drivers don't work quite right. But, it is worth the try. It comes with plenty of software and a whole bunch of interfaces to try out.

www.knoppix.com
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Suse used to have the same thing, I don't know if they do anymore though.

Personally, I'd go for a full-fledged distro...most are free or available for next to nothing. Buy a cheap second hard drive from a friend or at a local store or off eBay (something around 10-15GB would be very fine, and that'll only set you back a couple Andrew Jacksons at most, if that) and throw it in a spare bay in your computer, and just install Red Hat or Mandrake to that drive. (This is cheap and simpler than partitioning an existing drive.) That's really all you need if you just want to mess around with Linux, and it's better than running a Linux distro off a CD, which is slow and, as nybbles noted, somewhat tedious when it comes to saving things. If you ever get really into Linux, you can buy a bigger drive or a cheap computer and install it on that.

Better yet, since Linux generally uses up much fewer resources than Windows, try to find a computer that is several years old that the owner was thinking of throwing out or giving away, and install Linux on that. Linux can run on really old computers, and you'd be amazed at the performance boost you can get out of a computer by running Linux on it instead of Windows.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Michael wrote:Suse used to have the same thing, I don't know if they do anymore though.

Personally, I'd go for a full-fledged distro...most are free or available for next to nothing. Buy a cheap second hard drive from a friend or at a local store or off eBay (something around 10-15GB would be very fine, and that'll only set you back a couple Andrew Jacksons at most, if that) and throw it in a spare bay in your computer, and just install Red Hat or Mandrake to that drive. (This is cheap and simpler than partitioning an existing drive.) That's really all you need if you just want to mess around with Linux, and it's better than running a Linux distro off a CD, which is slow and, as nybbles noted, somewhat tedious when it comes to saving things. If you ever get really into Linux, you can buy a bigger driver or a cheap computer and install it on that.

Better yet, since Linux generally uses up much fewer resources than Windows, try to find a computer that is several years old that the owner was thinking of throwing out or giving away, and install Linux on that. Linux can run on really old computers, and you'd be amazed at the performance boost you can get out of a computer by running Linux on it instead of Windows.
completely agree...
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

my mom has a laptop with windows 98se i think. i was wondering if there was a linux disto that was made or laptops or what disto would be better for a laptop then others?
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

insomica wrote:my mom has a laptop with windows 98se i think. i was wondering if there was a linux disto that was made or laptops or what disto would be better for a laptop then others?
Unlike Windows.. it doesnt matter. You can run Linux distros on (Almost) any type of computer you like. :D
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

nice even if its a compaq............:cry:
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

insomica wrote:my mom has a laptop with windows 98se i think. i was wondering if there was a linux disto that was made or laptops or what disto would be better for a laptop then others?
Red Hat works good on laptops, so does Mandrake.

The only issue with laptops and Linux is that many laptops used more specialized hardware than desktop computers, and there's not Linux drivers for some laptop graphics hardware and modems, especially. But that was more of an issue years ago, not any more, so if you get a fairly common distro, you should be fine.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

Michael wrote:The only issue with laptops and Linux is that many laptops used more specialized hardware than desktop computers, and there's not Linux drivers for some laptop graphics hardware and modems, especially. But that was more of an issue years ago, not any more, so if you get a fairly common distro, you should be fine.
Maybe that's why Knoppix didn't find some of my hardware.... oh well...., then again, my computer is 2 years old...
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

can someone send me a copy of knoppix???? i can't download it. its way to big :( :cry:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

You want us to send it to you to download :-?.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

PhaseDMA wrote:You want us to send it to you to download :-?.
I think he means to send it by postal service. :lol:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html#order

There's a bunch of links on the website, for places that'll send you a copy.