How are Lunix distos different from each other.

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

insomica
Addict
Addict

How are Lunix distos different from each other.

Post by insomica »

How is mandrake different from redhat. and Debian different from suse, and all the others?

I want to learn linux but I don't know what one to pick. Or what each one of them offers.
Bitwise: insomica ->Image
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Basically the main difference is the packages distributed with each Distro. But the other major difference is that Mandrake and Red Hat are more for Windows users ease of use...

Suse is more for Hardcore or bussiness Linux users..
ksdad
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by ksdad »

Mandrake also tends to use newer packages than Red Hat does. As a result, it tends, upon initial release, to be less stable than Red Hat. Don't get me wrong ... I prefer Mandrake to Red Hat.

Another difference between Mandrake and Red Hat is that Mandrake defaults to the KDE desktop environment while Red Had defaults to the GNOME desktop environment. That is a large part of why I prefer Mandrake. I find KDE easier to navigate.
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Debian is one of the most "hardcore," professional Linux distros -- but only use it if you have some experience installing and using Linux or Unix systems.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

okay, im thinking about getting konnipx or what ever i read its based on Debian so it sounds like a good to learn that. and i can play around with it before i install it to make sure all the drivers work with the computer before i install it.
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

insomica wrote:okay, im thinking about getting konnipx or what ever i read its based on Debian so it sounds like a good to learn that. and i can play around with it before i install it to make sure all the drivers work with the computer before i install it.
you can't install knoppix, that's the point of it, it runs totally off the CD... I mean I guess you can just take the entire CD and copy it to the HD, but you won't have a root user or anything like that, plus they don't give you any of the passwords. Knoppix is only great for testing Linux.
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

nybbles wrote:you can't install knoppix, that's the point of it, it runs totally off the CD... I mean I guess you can just take the entire CD and copy it to the HD, but you won't have a root user or anything like that, plus they don't give you any of the passwords. Knoppix is only great for testing Linux.
go here for to read it yourself http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html

Installation Procedure
To get Knoppix installed onto your hard drive:
Boot the Knoppix CD.

When the boot prompt comes up, choose your language.
Most of us speak English, so we'll type:
boot: knoppix lang=en
then press ENTER (you don't type the 'boot:' part, of course)

Wait till the system is fully launched, including the KDE desktop

Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

Type: knx-hdinstall

Follow the guided installation menus. This will include:

Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GB
Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)
'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
Initialising the swap partition
Copying all the required files (automatically)
Setting up networking
Setting passwords
Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a 'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in /usr/share/doc/grub)
Rebooting (without the CD)

When you've rebooted Knoppix from your hard disk, click on the KDE Control Centre icon in the launcher at the bottom of the screen (icon of a colour monitor with a card in front of it)

Within the Control Center, click on Personliche Einstellungen

Click on Land und Sprache

Choose the locale and language of your choice

Click on Andwenden at bottom of that window

Close and restart the Control Center

Click on Peripherals, then Keyboard, and choose your preferred keyboard layout (which will probably be US.English. Click OK and close the window

Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root (using the password you chose when you ran the installer)

(Optional) - type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update your list of available packages, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

Hey, presto, you've got a fully installed GNU/Linux desktop

From here on in, you'll probably want to fine-tune a few things, set up themes, backgrounds etc. But most of the hard work is already done for you!

And lastly, note that Knoppix is based on Debian, which is arguably the finest GNU/Linux infrastructure available. To learn more about your system, and how to add/change/remove software, go to the Debian website and read the documents. If you get really stuck, start up X-Chat and log into irc.debian.org or irc.openprojects.net and join channel #debian. That is one busy chat room, with Debian Linux experts present 24/7, willing to help.
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

aslo are there any Linux users? or some people that know a lot or even a little about linux? any distro of linux
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Yeah, I'm a Linux user. What do you need help with?
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

i just wanted to know who to turn too if i need help with knoppix or something else that has to do with linux... btw i really like gaim for windows... (it has clone, msn, yahoo, and some other chat protocalls)...
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Post by nybbles »

insomica wrote:
nybbles wrote:you can't install knoppix, that's the point of it, it runs totally off the CD... I mean I guess you can just take the entire CD and copy it to the HD, but you won't have a root user or anything like that, plus they don't give you any of the passwords. Knoppix is only great for testing Linux.
go here for to read it yourself http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html
COOL!!! IF I ever get an external hard drive for my laptop, I'm installing!
Violinist, Composer, and Technology Hobbyist
Music Performance Major Penn State University
Sverdlove.com/MusicalHorizon.com "Site Admin"
http://www.sverdlove.com
http://www.musicalhorizon.com
insomica
Addict
Addict

Post by insomica »

if you get it to work let me know. :) i have not tried it... i will if i can find a cheap modem for linux..
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I'm a partial linux user as well. I'm familiar with Mandrake and Red Hat although I really don't use either... but I have in the past.

As soon as I get my third computer working and hooked up someplace in my bedroom... I'll be putting Mandrake 9.1 on it.