Checking md5 / sfv while file in use elsewhere

Report problems you've encountered using hkSFV.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

fuuucckkers

Checking md5 / sfv while file in use elsewhere

Post by fuuucckkers »

I just came across something. I was playing some music in Winamp..and also checking the same SFVs / MD5s that I created on my machine.

I'm not sure if this is the reason.. but the SFVs / MD5s that I know should be Good, turned out Bad because I was playing the music (the same music I was checking) at the same time??

Does playing mp3s and checking them at the same time cause errors?
Weird if you ask me... :|

If it's not that.. how do SFVs and MD5 end up going bad?? I created them.. so they shouldn't be Bad.

----

Also.. I was just doing some thinking, which could be another cause to the problem. When I created the SFVs / MD5s in the mp3 folders.... I wasn't physically in the folder, I was in the folder above that one.

What I have is all my folders with music in the same directory.. for example..

C:\My Documents\My Music\ --
And then from there I have each album seperated into folders.

Because I'm running Windows 98.. it starts to slow down terribly if you keep giong from folder to folder.. in and out. So what I figured is that I can just right click on each individual folder, Create SFV/ MD5 ..and hkSFV should scan to see the files.. and then create the files inside the folders.

Could this be a cause of bad SFVs and MD5s ??
(Note: there are other files in the directory as well-- .JPG and a .PLS(Similar to an .M3U ))
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

If you were playing the MP3, maybe the ID tags were changed by your program (possibly in a way you wouldn't even notice). Remember, if even one byte of the file is changed, then hkSFV should notice it.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Re: Checking md5 / sfv while file in use elsewhere

Post by Big-O Mark »

x Wasted Mind x wrote:Does playing mp3s and checking them at the same time cause errors?
No, simply playing an mp3 and checking it at the same time should not cause it to fail verification.
x Wasted Mind x wrote:If it's not that.. how do SFVs and MD5 end up going bad?? I created them.. so they shouldn't be Bad.
They could still fail even if you created the .SFV (or .MD5) yourself. If the contents of the .mp3 file is altered in any way, even the id3 tag, it will no longer be exactly the same as it previously was. If you have not altered the file in any way, whatsoever, and it fails, then something has altered it, whether it's a bad drive or something of that nature.
x Wasted Mind x wrote:Because I'm running Windows 98.. it starts to slow down terribly if you keep giong from folder to folder.. in and out. So what I figured is that I can just right click on each individual folder, Create SFV/ MD5 ..and hkSFV should scan to see the files.. and then create the files inside the folders.
The way you created your .SFV (or .MD5) should not have any bearing on whether or not the files pass or fail. As long as hkSFV can find the files it's looking for (it passes/fails rather than coming up with the / icon indicating not found) it will truly check them.

-----

You may want to try unchecking the "Used Cached Results" options. hkSFV uses various methods to produce this valuable option, but there are rare instances in which it can be fooled. If the file previously checked bad, and is now good, it's possible that hkSFV is loading an old result from the cache rather than rechecking the file. This has happened to me once or twice, and there is a fix in place in the version of hkSFV currently in development.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

If you still have the SFV/MD5 around, do the files that fail have a real crc or md5 value, or is it 00000000 (or ????????, etc)? (right click on the failed file in hkSFV to see it's checksum)
-Ryan
Big-O Software
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Now that you mention it.. yeah I was changing the ID3 tags after I created the SFVs/ MD5s.

I think that might have been the problem.
Big-O Ryan wrote:If you still have the SFV/MD5 around, do the files that fail have a real crc or md5 value, or is it 00000000 (or ????????, etc)? (right click on the failed file in hkSFV to see it's checksum)

No it doesnt.. it's a normal checksum.

Post by Guest »

I downloaded some mp3 that came with an sfv. Windows Media player version 9 edits the ID3 tag if it thinks it's supposed to be something else, so the sfv comes out corrupted. Not sure if this is your problem, but I noticed this myself