A CloneAIM feature

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

A CloneAIM feature

Post by Guest »

Implementing the Program CloneAIM into AIM+ would be great. Allowing multiple concurrent AIM sessions with different names all while utilizing the AIM+ features would be terrific.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

That's a pretty neat idea for schizophrenics with multiple screennames, or for those who like to ALWAYS be online but have friends who like to borrow their computer for a little while ... everyone could be signed on at once!

Post by Guest »

I agree that allowing multiple concurrent AIM sessions with different screennames or allowing multiple instances of AIM would be a great addition to AIM+.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Is anybody using multiple instances of AIM right now? I can't seem to find any programs or tricks/hacks that work on a version of AIM newer than 4.3.

If you've got anything, please e-mail the program/trick/hack to big-o@myrealbox.com - or just post the link, or e-mail a link.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Big-O Software
Soccer55

Post by Soccer55 »

This page has a way to run multiple instances through hex editing the aim.exe file. I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but here it is. AIM+ is a great program, keep up the good work.

-Tom

On second thought, here's the info from the site linked above:

Using Hex Workshop open up "aim.exe" in the directory which AIM is installed. Use the search feature in Hex Workshop (Ctrl+F) to find the following text string. Be sure to specify that you are searching for a type of Text String "_Oscar_AppMutex"
When you find this text on the right hand side of the screen replace the period at the end with any character or number.
Before: "_Oscar_AppMutex." After: "_Oscar_AppMutex1"
Now save this program as aim2.exe and close Hex Workshop and you can now run aim2.exe additionally to aim.exe. You can do this as many times and save as many separate aim programs as you wish and run them all simultaneously. Create shortcuts and place them wherever you wish to have easy access to these clones.
Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

Post by Big-O Ryan »

Have you actually tried the method above? I did, and my new aim executable just crashed every time I started it while AIM was already running. Also, I can run it by itself, but it does run pretty messed up (backgrounds of the buttons are weird colors)..
-Ryan
Big-O Software
joshbrown
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by joshbrown »

i noticed that when i did this, i had to create a whole new aim folder, so like i had a c:\\program files\\aim 95\\ directory and then i made a c:\\program files\\aim 95 2\\ directory with the hexed aim.exe, and it seems to work beautifully for me.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

A cloning feature should be ready in time for the next release of AIM+ ... it's still being implemented and tested right now.
-Mark
Big-O Software
Maraklov
Addict
Addict

Post by Maraklov »

dude. ryan, i have to commend you.
the next version of aim+ sounds like it will be packed w/ features.
and to put up with the 'tards in the forums...

when i get back access my paypal account, i've got a 10 spot with your name on it.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

This topic will now be locked, as the testing for AIM cloning is basically over ... and a success! I've been running multiple (meaning more than 1, and more than 2 even!) instances of AIM using an AIM+ beta and it's been running pretty damn well.

A big thank you to everyone who has helped with this ... from the idea, the support for the idea, to the hex edit, this has been a great topic ... and it has all led to a key feature addition to AIM+!
-Mark
Big-O Software