Last time

Whatever (keep it TV-14).

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, Anthony

Anthony

Last time

Post by Anthony »

The last time this happened (in the same place no less) he went on to the highest and most powerful position in the world...

Don't know what I'm talking about? Someone needs to catch up on their national news.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Yes, but that can't happen in this situation. In order to ascend to the "highest and most powerful position in the world", you must be born in this country.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ugh... Why must you point out the odvious?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

You DO mean "obvious," right?

I say we hold a poll (add this if you want Anthony):

Arnold (The Republican)

OR

Arnold (The Machine aka Terminator)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

DADINK13 wrote:You DO mean "obvious," right?
Okay I'm missing something...
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Axilla
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Axilla »

PhaseDMA wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:odvious
Michael wrote:In plain English: I am a boy.
For those AOL speakers out there: i ma b0i wat r u a/s/l ken i c ur b00bs?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Axilla wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:
PhaseDMA wrote:odvious
I think he understood the fact that he mispelled the word...but I want to (and probabl anth too) know why Carl pointed out that he meant obvious...I mean is there a word odvious? If so, what does it mean?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Actually I didn't pick up the d instead of the b... Too early, and way too late at going to bed... very way to wait (I won't even fix that so you can see what I mean).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
DADINK13
Location: Formerly: "Hunington, Longylan, New Yowrk" Now: "Cahprus Cohve, Texus"

Post by DADINK13 »

Exhaustion is no excuse for crappy spelling. :wink:
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Back on topic:

Nothing stops laws from being changed as to allow him to become President - In fact it just so happens that a senator is currently trying to do just that.

To go on... Bush seems as a person that would be very good friends with Arnold in this. Arnold thinks very highly of Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. would seem as he highly respects Arnold.

Even watching the very left wing CNN I have yet to hear a politician since the election complain about Arnold. I even heard a Democrat say she was called by him, and enjoyed talking with him.

I don't see any political agendas that would keep him out quite frankly (of course people have said he did bad things... But who hasn't complained about a someone with a high profile running for office that they fear winning?).

The only road block I really see is Jeb Bush, and that's simply because he is going to want to become President at some point, but he is younger then Arnold, so...

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say with in the next 4-8 years Arnold won't have any laws holding him away from being the President of the United States.

I just wish Arnold would promise that he would make a movie after he is no longer in public office... Wait... Listen... You wouldn't want to upset people to a point where they wouldn't buy your movie now would you? This would actually just make things that much more clear on who he wants to be helping... The people or him self.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Master Jedi
Guru
Guru

Post by Master Jedi »

Odvious isn't a word, but odious (causing or deserving hatred) is. From the context it could have been either obvious or odious...
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

You make a very good argument Anthony, but you must remember one thing. Reagan attempted to change the ammendment that only allows 2 terms in office and failed miserabley at it. Plus, it was rumored that Clinton attempted the same thing. One could easily argue that changing the nation of birth requirement is much more severe of a change then term limitations. Plus, the nation of birth clause has been around since the formation of this country. It is up there with the original Bill of Rights. It will be very difficult to overturn that one.
Ray

"Everybody needs friends. No one wishes to be without them. But never lose sight of the fact that it is your friends who will lead you along the paths that you will follow."
—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well I would agree that term limits are less sever then the requirements to become President, however thing can be very diffrent simply based on who the person is that would get the good outcome.

I believe that citizens at this point would consider (not to say they would allow it to pass), but give the time frame that this would take I think enough people that would currently cause this not to pass (based on what I belive will be good terms) would change their minds.

The largest issue is however... If it was changed now then it would be changed forever... You don't change laws as powerful as this one, and then fall back on them. I guess they could change the law in such a way that Arnold would be the only one to really have a chance. For example:

Must have lived in country for 20 years
Must have served at least one term as Governor of a state
Must have won at least one election by 50% (Not that hard... Except for Arnold did it against 130+ people :-? )
And others rules I sure someone spending time on this could come up with

Anyone else find it funny that Arnold will (as far as I know) be the first person to hold a major office, yet still be called by his first name in everything short of others that hold office? I don't think I have heard anyone say his last name except to make fun of either the election or him (doesn't have to be a bad making fun of though).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
harra
Veteran
Veteran

Post by harra »

Yes,

At anytime the "powers that be" could attempt to change the rules, but considering the Senate and the House of Representatives must give the "thumbs up" before it could happen, I doubt it would happen any time soon unless there was a really charasmatic leader pushing the right buttons. If George W. tried to initiate such a change (he can't actually change the law) I think the Democrats would see his intention a mile away.
Ray

—Gordon B. Hinckley
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I never thought that this would be a short road. I said 2-8 years, and to be honest highly doubt it would be anything shorter then 4 years...

In order to pass this Bush needs to:

Get more of his party in office

Get relected (and not really him, but a republican and we know the chances of a new one this coming election)

Get more Repulicans in the house and senate

Get a Repulican as the next President

He gets more Repulicans still in the house and senete

Convice the Democrats that the Repulicans have a strong chance to win and Arnold would be a better President then the other Repulicans

It will in no way be a short term thing, but I think it's highly possible if they start the ball rolling right now (Which they seem to have actually done).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ