Windows Crashes.

Hardware, Software, Internet, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark, Matt, jester22c

sweeney
Addict
Addict

Windows Crashes.

Post by sweeney »

Just recently my windows started crashing when I highlight any web document (.htm, .html). I've restarted of course, checked my registry, all that. I haven't even installed anything during the past week. Any help would be appreciated.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Did you check for a virus?

Did you check for spyware?
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

what os do u run? how long had u had it installed?

it seems like ur computer is screwing up laely (w/ the netzero thing). i think u just need to reinstall windows
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Err..yeah, I should've given more details...wasn't thinking. I run XP Professional. I just re-installed it (not format, just install over the old one) about a month ago. I checked for a virus, and spyware and got nothing.

Also, I don't know if I should make a new thread or not, so I'll put this in this one. I do my Display properties (change your wallpaper, resolution, screen saver, etc.) And RunDll crashes on me. I was thinking of downloading a new rundll exe, but I don't know where to get one and I'm too lazy to search through site after site, so if anyone can help me with that, thanks in advance.
Axilla wrote:Since apparently no one has told you what a huge douche bag you are, I'll just tell you now. You are a huge douche bag. Huge.
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

ok, ur computer seems like its falling apart. reinstalling over fixes some things, but i think wat u need to do is either
1 - Format ur hard drive and reinstall windows
2 - replace ur power supply

yes, it might b ur powersupply, if ur going to replace it, make sure its over 300watts (if u got 2 hard drives and a p4 then u should get min of 400 watts)

thats all i can say atm
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Really? What would the power supply have to do with programs crashing?
And there is no chance in hell of me re-formatting. lol...I can deal without using the display properties...
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

not enough power or a bad psu (power supply unit) can cause abnormal behaviour. stuff like bluescreens or crashing programs can be caused by the psu. remember a pc is a complex group of different parts, and the more complex things get, the more complex and bizzare the problems become.

i can bet 90% of my savings account that ur psu is the cause of this, if u got sum extra cash, go buy 1, if im wrong, well, atleast u got another psu when ur current one actually does die :)
[]DaT_MaNN03
Veteran
Veteran

Post by []DaT_MaNN03 »

reformatting is something you should do....just put everything you want to keep onto some disks and make sure u have everything you want and then reformat it
Hi! I'm a signature virus! copy me into your signature file to help me spread!

"NeVer Argue with an Idiot they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

Why is the solution to every Windows problem "format the hard drive and reinstall"? Is Windows really that difficult to troubleshoot?
Robpol86
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robpol86 »

Every 6 months or so u should reformat. Windows isnt a well built operating system, and over time starts to loose its stability and performance, even nt based os'es. I think its because installing and uninstalling certain apps might remove or alter system dlls or something, or the registry. well im not positive on y windows does this.

but like i said, if u dont wanna reformat, try gettin a new psu, its prolly it
Michael
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by Michael »

sigh... And Windows is the dominant operating system, how sad...
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Format every 6 months?!?!

Your insane. You sound like my friend:
Me: AIM won't work
Him: Reformat
:roll:

Don't install junk on your computer and you will be fine.
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

PhaseDMA wrote:Format every 6 months?!?!

Your insane.

i agree.

insane.

you should format at least ever 3 months ;)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

One thing to comment on with the bad power supplies.

When those things start to wear down and go bad on you.. you don't get RunDLL errors.

When the PSU goes bad, you're harddrive stops working. Things don't save.. or CD-Roms don't read properly.. or even spin up at all. The CPU/Case fans stop spinning... things like that.

Also.. RunDLL is one of the core OS files, next to the Kernal. If you delete it.. and/or corrupt it, you're OS will freeze instantly. Forcing you to reinstall.
I know because I've deleted a few of those files on the Best Buy laptop computers. :wink:

Now perhaps if you're getting errors about the file... maybe another program modified it unintentionally. But who knows... you're talking about Windows here. :roll:
Timelessblur
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Timelessblur »

I kind of with waste here on this one. I perosnly think you should advoid reformating if you can. I tend to advoid it simpley because of the raw amount of time it would take me to reinstall all my software and move back on all my back up files.

2 hours for the refomate and OS reinstall
1 hour spent installing the Antivirur and firewall.
2-4 hours spend dl and installing the updates
2-4 hours for me to install VB.net
3 hours min in stalling other software (MS office AIM winamp Mathcad.....)
1-2 hours moving back on all my back up files
1-3 hours reinstalling drivers for my computer (LIke for my mouse and othe stuff that a bit mroe speilizd for a laptop)
and that not including games which are installed on a as need bases

Mind you my system is a has a lot of software a typical person will never use or never will need. VB and mathcad being among them and I plan on adding Autocad to that list when I build my desktop with in a year. But still it is a roly pain in that ass doing all this.

Over thanksgiving I am planing on upgrauding XP pro to XP pro to hopefully fix some bad windows files on my computer so I can advord a reforamte again. Other wise I push my comptuer to Xmas and just nerf it back to the day one set up from gateway then upgraud back to XP pro. Then spend the next few days reinstalling everything........

But all in all I personlyh think reformating should be advoided if at all possible simple because of the amount of time it take to reinstall everything.
http://www.myimgs.com/data/timelessblur ... omulan.jpg
Yeah I know I got pulled in but its a nice way to kill time
my link for kings of Choas