The Future of AIM+

Discuss anything related to AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

In which direction should AIM+ development continue?

Continue development for the AIM 4 series
18%
Begin development for the AIM 5 series now
82%

Total votes: 82

GorillaNippeFIVE
Just Registered
Just Registered

agree with big o sombrero

Post by GorillaNippeFIVE »

yeah, i agree with big o sombrero on the point that OOOO THERE ARE MORE SMILIES!!

emotions... who would use those? they just take up space, and they don't "express" much.

i think they're trying to make AIM5 harder for AIM+ and MyIM to adapt to it.

DOWN WITH AOL! o wait.. i want AIM
iamvoyager
Addict
Addict

hmmm

Post by iamvoyager »

none of you guys and girls use smilies?

...funny, i thought i saw some in ppls posts, must have been my imagination... :roll:
a big sombrero
Addict
Addict

Post by a big sombrero »

the only one i really ever use is the :D and thats only when im talkin to my girlfriend, other than thats its a waste of space
iSteve530
Addict
Addict

Post by iSteve530 »

go for AIM5 support! Even though they added the aweful expressions, its easy to remove them.
skudz
Addict
Addict

Post by skudz »

the poll clearly states that the majority wants aim 5 support. any word on when you guys will start production, or anytime for a version for it?
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

MISSED U GUYS A HELLA LOAD!!!!!!!!!! I CANT STAND NORMAL AIM NO MORE!!!! U GUYS NEED TO GET WORK ON NEW AIM+ AOL DETECTS THE AIM+ .dll NOW. THOSE FAGS, <== SORRY BOUT MY WORD CHOICE. JUST TO LET U NOE, U HAVE MY SUPPORT NO MATTER WAT U DO.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

nunubutt wrote:MISSED U GUYS A HELLA LOAD!!!!!!!!!! I CANT STAND NORMAL AIM NO MORE!!!! U GUYS NEED TO GET WORK ON NEW AIM+ AOL DETECTS THE AIM+ .dll NOW. THOSE FAGS, <== SORRY BOUT MY WORD CHOICE. JUST TO LET U NOE, U HAVE MY SUPPORT NO MATTER WAT U DO.
I like your team spirit, but perhaps you could tone it down a little on the caps? It kinda hurts my eyes. :o
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

nunubutt wrote:MISSED U GUYS A HELLA LOAD!!!!!!!!!! I CANT STAND NORMAL AIM NO MORE!!!! U GUYS NEED TO GET WORK ON NEW AIM+ AOL DETECTS THE AIM+ .dll NOW. THOSE FAGS, <== SORRY BOUT MY WORD CHOICE. JUST TO LET U NOE, U HAVE MY SUPPORT NO MATTER WAT U DO.
Thanks for your support! :D

AOL does not detect AIM+ and disable your service. There was a problem last night when the new server became active. Our new server is Unix based while our old server was Windows based. This caused problems with the upgrade monitor, which caused AIM to crash shortly after starting. This issue has been resolved and everyone's copy of AIM+ should be working as it did a couple of days ago.

AIM+, however, is not yet fully compatible with the AIM 5 series releases. Now that AIM 5 is final we have a better idea of what needs to be done to bring AIM+ up to speed.

If you are having any additional problems with AIM+ and the 4.x releases of AIM, please post them to the AIM+ Bug Reports forum.
-Mark
Big-O Software
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

well we're all computer people, and naturally by no fault everyone wants the newest and best, just to say hey, i got it. I myself is sticking to aim+ wit 4.8 because i dont like the combination with 5.0 It still clones 5.0 but i really like the transparency. The expressions can be custom made, so that doesnt bother me. Its the ADS!!! We already have 4.8 wit a compatible AIM+ so y not just make AIM+ for 5.0? If AIM+ for 5.0 exists people will naturally move towards it becauses it works. If there is no connection there, people will naturally use AIM 4.8 because its just better suiting our needs. If u keep working on 4.8 it will eventually run out of gusto.
overbored

Um...

Post by overbored »

Isn't AIM 5.0 out of beta now? AOL's sites no longer even have links to the 4.x versions. Looks like there's not much of an option.

I'm not saying I like 5 over 4; truth is, I don't like AIM at all. Unfortunately, it is simply too popular, much like the case with ZIP vs RAR and MP3 vs WMA. For me, AIM+ is the only thing keeping AIM from becoming unbearable and me from going insane. (And don't get me started about the all-protocols-in-one chatting clients.)

In any event, thanks for making this program.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

As the last post on page 1 says why dont you just make 5.0 look like 4.8 as a option. I hate the look of 5.0 and it just gets in the way. If I wanted my programs to look like "XP" then I would upgrade my computer to XP (and yes I have the ability to do so). On the other hand would like to have the newest version of AIM just to be up to date (I know I sound foolish). However I will not upgrade to a program that is messed up (at least to a point since all programs have their flaws and that is why new versions come out all the time). I did at one point "upgrade" to AIM 5.0 and after about 3 mins of using it went what have I done and went to a site to get my 4.8 back (i know a little detailed).

Bottom line is AIM 4.8 is something that everyone knows. AIM 5.0 is what your going to have to deal with to have new "features". AIM+ should make 5.0 look like 4.8
Pscott
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by Pscott »

AIM 5.0 HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RELEASED TODAY!!! I SAY DEVELOP AIM+ TO WORK WITH AIM 5.0!!!! OKAY?!?!?
B|ackWo|f

Post by B|ackWo|f »

Pscott wrote:AIM 5.0 HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN RELEASED TODAY!!! I SAY DEVELOP AIM+ TO WORK WITH AIM 5.0!!!! OKAY?!?!?
Little excited there bro? :P
Do you think college kids in Japan get English words tattooed all over themselves?
RedSoxFanEB
Just Registered
Just Registered

Stick with v. 4

Post by RedSoxFanEB »

Stick with Version 4 it is so much better than version 5 I will proly never upgrade to 5 again because the first time I did it completly sucked!
ERIKKFI

Post by ERIKKFI »

While I don't think you're going to develop a concensus from this bulletin board, I think your general audience is not a bunch of 7-year-olds who might think the "viewpoint" "TECHNOLOGY" is 'cool'. AIM4 has a very nice utilitarian interface which we will want to stay with until forced to upgrade.

Now you guys made a lot of promises on the "coming soon" page, and I really want to see most of those features there. I know you're doing this for free, in your spare time, and that's why we're largely being patient. But don't even bother with AIM5 for now. The smartest among us are not going to upgrade. The ~l33t~est among us are waiting for the next AIM+ for our AIM4s.

Keep up th4 good work.