Longer Profiles (no 1024 character limit)

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Longer Profiles (no 1024 character limit)

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know how to get around this?

WITHOUT USING THOSE STUPID SUBPROFILE THINGS
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

How about longer profiles and longer messages? I hate the 1024 character message limit when I'm trying to copy/paste something into AOL to send to a friend.
JStrider

i second this

Post by JStrider »

i second... errr third this...
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I know directly connecting will eliminate the character limit in messages.

The profile limit would be very convenient for a lot of my friends who seem to always have a lot to put in there :). On top of that, other AIM+ feature requests incorporate the profile, so that would just be more and more information in there. Getting rid of that limit just makes sense, if it's possible!
-Mark
Big-O Software
xXMaximumBassXx

Longer Profile

Post by xXMaximumBassXx »

hey... i know you guys probably arent fans of subprofile... not many are. here is another method that might help you... "The Advanced Method" off this link.

http://www.gigahosts.com/~c1003/aimicon ... cks26.html

Good luck. ;)

Post by Guest »

I am aware of the "advanced method" but,

this is something I would LOVE to see in AIM+. I am always creating my profile to only learn it's too big because of unseen HTML. VERY annoying and it would be great if this could be larger in any newer version of AIM +

Thanks
JStrider

Post by JStrider »

im using the advance method... but i would like to see the limit extended... or maybe a way to make the profile automatically redirect to the html file so people didnt have to click the link...
rob

Post by rob »

this would be a great feature. maybe the character limit can be cracked somehow? i dunno. or else u can include a small html editor to edit the info.htm file :wink:
jamori

Post by jamori »

the problem is that the 1024 thing is an issue with the AIM protocol; the AIM server will simply reject the message and quite possibly disconnect you from the server if what is sent does not conform to the protocol

Post by Guest »

yes the protocol only allows for so many characters to fit in between the header and footer of the command string sent to aol. all strings are limited to this amount, not just the profile. For example..if you paste a long string into the message window it says you have exceeded 1024 characters. aim does not accept the long strings
killcrap
Addict
Addict

Post by killcrap »

u guys should read the AOL TOC Specification v1.0

* TOC will drop the connection if a command exceeds the maximum
length, which is currently 1024 bytes. So the client
needs to spend special attention to im and chat message lengths.
There are no length maximums from TOC to the client however.
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

Best way around it is to edit it manually in HTML. I've noticed that it will add the FONT tags in over and over again and waste a lot of space. 1024 will go a lot farther with one font/size and if it only does that tag once.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

IDEA

Post by Plasma2002b »

Heres one way AIM+ could help.... (im talkin about IMs at least) It could intercept the message that says you went over the 1024 limit and AIM+ would automatically trim your message and send it then quickly send the rest of the message as a second IM (or third, fourth, etc)

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Matt

Re: IDEA

Post by Matt »

Plasma2002b wrote:Heres one way AIM+ could help.... (im talkin about IMs at least) It could intercept the message that says you went over the 1024 limit and AIM+ would automatically trim your message and send it then quickly send the rest of the message as a second IM (or third, fourth, etc)
bringing this post "back to life" because I want to see this in the new aim+ (if possible). i really like what plasma said because i can never send my friends long convos or anything like that...and if its really funny, i would email it to them...which gets annoying...so, if aim+ could trin the msg and send it as 3 or 4 msgs as aim allows, this would be great. anyone else agree?
-Matt
Timelessblur wrote:I only know 4 langueges. Engish, Band Engish, Really bad Engish and Timelessblurain
nybbles
Addict
Addict

Re: IDEA

Post by nybbles »

This seems like the most logical way of approaching this feature. And, I would love to see it. I can never send my IMs to people, without first breaking it up, it is so annoying.
Plasma2002b wrote:Heres one way AIM+ could help.... (im talkin about IMs at least) It could intercept the message that says you went over the 1024 limit and AIM+ would automatically trim your message and send it then quickly send the rest of the message as a second IM (or third, fourth, etc)