User Logon/Logoff Logging

Request features that you'd like to see in future versions of AIM+.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

timrosenfeld
Addict
Addict

what I want

Post by timrosenfeld »

I like the idea of logging everything including sign on's and off's... you could have tabs (I think it's how AIM 4.4 is) with the log on's and off logged and then the other tab for normal logs. I also want the logging of images sent if someone is directly connected... AIM 4.4 also had that feature. Another thing that would help clear the clutter is to maybe only allow the last week's (or day's or month's) logs to be seen while archiving the rest in another folder or something to that effect.

Maybe to get those suggestions that I made working, you could use AIM's internal browser... the same one that is called when looking a people's profiles. Then you could have recognition of the smileys as well as all the colors working just like in the AIM window.
dmbfan
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by dmbfan »

please, please, please... i would love this feature i have always searched for a prog that would do this...

what i would want is it to just have a log file that keeps a log of the users on my list. So that if i leave for a day i can see who i missed, when they were on, how long they were on for, and things of that nature... i really am all about this feature....
vt2004
Just Registered
Just Registered

only log on buddy alert

Post by vt2004 »

I think having a log of every single sign on/off of every person on your buddy list would be excessive, but it would be nice to have a log of sign on/offs of people who are on buddy alert.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I think that this shouldn't be too much of a problem if you stuck in an option for people to enter how many days back to keep the logs. People could disable this if they want to, and it won't really take up as much hard drive space as you would think, especially if you only set the logging for a few days. And as for it being possible, it is definitely possible because if an event is called (which there is when anything happens) then another process (such as AIM+) can also key into this happening. An example would be an API function such as 'GetLocalTime'. You can design a program so that it also does something when that function is called. I'm sure you know this Ryan, and I'm not much of a programmer past some assembly, C++, and web based code, but I do believe this should be possible. I can probably even find the name of the functions for when people put up away messages if you need. If you're worried about having to pop up their info to read their away message, I think that you can issue a server command to get it, and if not, you can always "cloak" a window so that it is not visible in any way to the user, but still readable by programs. A very low tech way of doing this is removing the button from the task bar and opening the window off of the screen. Maybe you know something I don't, or maybe you know a lot of things I don't :P but with languages like Visual C++, you can do almost anything as long as it's client side.
jamori

Post by jamori »

Here's a hack that does a compiled log of when users sign on and off; I believe it was stripped from aim 4.4, and seems to be able to apply to everything BELOW (not including) 4.8
http://jamiro.yi.org/aimprofile/logginghack.zip

I personally love this, and actually run this in addition to AIM+ just for the log on/off logging feature.

The compiled log works fine for me, or you could put a text file in each screenname's subdirectory along with their other logs by date, and just give it a specific name (logtimes.txt or whatever) and store the information for each user there, and then I guess you could pull it up with the history viewer or whatever.

Either method would make me happy, and also allow me to update to AIM 4.8 and still retain my full logging capabilities :)

Let me know if you have any other questions about the program.
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

Yes I showed that to ryan, and I still don't know if he's checked it out yet. I hope it is of some help. I am still curious why he can't read the window text directly from memory, but I'm sure there's a method to the madness.
davedog

this feature exists

Post by davedog »

aim version 4.4.2286 logged changes in online/offline status, and away/non-away.

i have this version if someone wants it.
it also has a history logger,
but not as good as AIM+

also, another feature to add would be to also log when people are idle or not.

thanks
bfavre4

just like old 4.4 alpha

Post by bfavre4 »

Yeah, I really liked the sign on/off log feature in the old AIM 4.4 alpha version where it logged all buddies signing on/off as an HTM for that day.

And I know that it may take up space, but for those who have a small harddrive, then make this feature optional in preferences.

I would really love to see this feature in the next version (for AIM 5.0) because many times I want to know if someone came on today or not, and when they left.
davedog

please include this!

Post by davedog »

c'mon, aim had this going already for us in a previous version!

is there a way to steal that code and keep it up? =)

yes yes yes!!!
nunubutt
Addict
Addict

Post by nunubutt »

Do u guys realize that the loggin works only for those who use your computer to sign online? or am i wrong and that it logs wen ur buddies sign on n off?
justind7797
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by justind7797 »

I think the best solution for this, because I also like to keep track of my buddies, would be to have it log sign ons and sign offs and then just have the user right click the user name of the buddy and have a "Last Seen" option in the popup menu or something to that effect.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

justind7797 wrote:I think the best solution for this, because I also like to keep track of my buddies, would be to have it log sign ons and sign offs and then just have the user right click the user name of the buddy and have a "Last Seen" option in the popup menu or something to that effect.

I like this idea and I think there should be the same button "Seen Last" or "Session History" in the History itself. So when you're browsing your history just press the "Session History" button for the user that's selected. I know that sounds a little vague but as long as this is incorporated in the history somehow I'll be happy.
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

After reading through almost everyones requests and options and stuff they want.. I still dont see why this is even wanted. Someone explain to me, exactly with an example(a good one too) of why you want to log buddies on/off and away/not-away and the sort ... am I missing something, or maybe I just dont get it for some reason.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I'd just like to know when some of my friends were online if I missed them, that's pretty much what it comes down too. There were a few specific cases where it would have come in handy. For example I wrote a friend an email about our plans for the weekend and I had to go pick up my sister from school, well come to find out they got my email but didn't have time to respond because they checked it at school right before soccer practice. Well I would have liked to know that they got the email and if I had known that they got online I could assumed that they did. I didn't know if they got it or not and it just turned into a confusing mess. That's the best example I can think of as confusing as it is.
The Captain
Just Registered
Just Registered

Logging

Post by The Captain »

I think it would be cool to be able to track (and log?) when people view your away message and profile, either by "alerts" or through a log file. Similar to how sub-profile works. Maybe a few hours, maybe a days worth at most. I figure that since the computer of the person who is viewing your info has to get the info from your computer, then there is some kind of information exchange between the two computers to log.