How To Send IM's To Offline People: MessageServer

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Do you like MessageServer, and think it is useful?

Yeah its awesome!
65%
Good idea but it needs work.
30%
Its junk but i'll use it every now and then.
3%
It sucks, stick with eMail!
3%

Total votes: 37

TazX2k
Addict
Addict

How To Send IM's To Offline People: MessageServer

Post by TazX2k »

hey everyone i made this bot, the SN is MessageServer it lets you send an im to someone that is offline and they get it when they sign on. i posted this 2 days ago but it somehow got deleted and so was my account. if the moderators did this, please respect my freedom of speech and that everyone has the right of knowlage... thank you.

Joe Ventura
(206) 339-6060
TazX2k@hotmail.com

Please post your comments and such.
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Re: How To Send IM's To Offline People: MessageServer

Post by Big-O Mark »

TazX2k wrote:hey everyone i made this bot, the SN is MessageServer it lets you send an im to someone that is offline and they get it when they sign on. i posted this 2 days ago but it somehow got deleted and so was my account. if the moderators did this, please respect my freedom of speech and that everyone has the right of knowlage... thank you.

Joe Ventura
(206) 339-6060
TazX2k@hotmail.com

Please post your comments and such.
ALL of the posts and new accounts on the boards from the past few days were lost today. There was a message about this in the Big-O General forum, here:

http://discuss.big-o-software.com/viewtopic.php?t=1421

As for your or anyone's freedom of speech here on the Big-O Software message boards specifcally ... that's entirely for another post in another thread :D .
-Mark
Big-O Software
TazX2k
Addict
Addict

Post by TazX2k »

Wow! Amazing service, and its free too!!...you don’t find this everyday, lol. I didn’t expect to get a reply from a moderator within 5 min. And about what happened, I am sorry I doubted you, I didn’t realize it was "computer error", I’m a developer also and I completely understand that it was unintentional, I too experience computer problems, although most of the time it’s my fault and of course I just say it was a the computers fault. Well keep up the good work!

Joe Ventura
TazX2k@hotmail.com

A+ for Big-O! [Thumbs up emoticon goes here] <- just use your imagination :wink:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I think it's a great service :) only problem is it's been warned up to 100% lately (wasn't me). Probably need to work on making it unwarnable.

On a side note, I have a screen name that I'd like to turn into a simple bot myself. Nothing much more than taking messages that it recieves and storing them into a text file(s). If you'd be willing to provide me with any help at all I would be greatly appreciative. I'm assuming you programmed your bot in perl? :-? I'll have to do some brushing up, I'm no good in perl. C++ and VB are my most proficient languages.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

im with jester here...... its a pretty interesting bot..... how did ya do it?

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
TazX2k
Addict
Addict

Post by TazX2k »

I wrote the bot in VB6, there are many pearl scripts that simplify the bot making process but personally I don’t like any of them. If you want to make a simple bot check out http://www.wiredbots.com ... as for it being at 100% warning, normally it is never warned and about 100 or so people a day were using it, but ever since I posted it here everyone has been warning it. It’s okay though, I understand most people are just curious; it just upsets me a little when the same person warns it 10 times in a row. And even if I warn them back and block them (which is what it does now), they can always warn it anonymously. It’s just something we'll have to live with.
Enjoy.

Joe Ventura
TazX2k@hotmail.com
(206) 339-6060

BTW plasma, who's the chick? :wink:
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Awesome, VB6 I can handle :) Unfortunately www.wiredbots.com isn't coming up for me. I did a search on google to make sure you typed the URL right and you did, I guess it's just down or something. Drat.
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

ditto, jester..... link down :-?

but yes... i didnt think ya made that in VB... seems too good of quality for VB.

if ya got any other info, that would be awesome

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

I've searched for any other sites that might be of help but all I can find are stupid pay sites where you pay them to make you a bot... I'm not down for that. I'm not a Comp Sci major for nothing :D

So what do you say? can we see your source? :lol: :lol: :lol:
TazX2k
Addict
Addict

Post by TazX2k »

Well, i never wanted to release the source because then everyone would clone it and release their own stupid version, this would make all the bots have diffrent ways to use it, and they would all have diffrent features. Plus i wouldent know how reliable they are... MessageServer other then last night has approx a 99.5% uptime. But last night it was IM bombed (by about 200 diffrent SNs) while it was at 100% warning and aim kicked it offline, yet it could still send and recieve messages from the aim server so it was fooled into being online (normally it would just resign on). Weird huh? Well i'd love to open it up but i dont know if i should, what do you guys think? State some Pro's and Con's. I don't want to make another poll because i want everyone to state some pro's and con's.

Joe Ventura
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

TazX2k wrote:Well, i never wanted to release the source because then everyone would clone it and release their own stupid version, this would make all the bots have diffrent ways to use it, and they would all have diffrent features. Plus i wouldent know how reliable they are... MessageServer other then last night has approx a 99.5% uptime. But last night it was IM bombed (by about 200 diffrent SNs) while it was at 100% warning and aim kicked it offline, yet it could still send and recieve messages from the aim server so it was fooled into being online (normally it would just resign on). Weird huh? Well i'd love to open it up but i dont know if i should, what do you guys think? State some Pro's and Con's. I don't want to make another poll because i want everyone to state some pro's and con's.

Joe Ventura

That's perfectly understandable and I can't blame you one bit.

As to the bot... it's really sad that some people have nothing better to do than repeatedly IM a computer :roll:...

What exactly do you mean by open it up? My buddlist shows that MessageServer is up right now...
MiniSizeIt

Post by MiniSizeIt »

Here are some pro's and con's if you release the code:

Pros:
  • People can run their own bot (Makes people happy)
  • People can play around with it, customize it, use it with their friends, company, etc.
  • Once the source is out, many people can help complete/perfect the script. Maybe you could even form a small group of coders to perfect the bot, or maybe even create new bots/programs/etc.
Cons:
  • Everyone has it, so you're not as known for making the bot
  • Hmmm, any other major cons? I guess if you ever wanted to charge for it or advertise in your bot, people wouldn't use your bot because they'd be free, easier ones out there once it's released.
So basically if you're just doing it for fun and enjoyment for people on AIM, I suggest releasing the code. However, if you want to use the bot to run advertisements or such, keep it to yourself. :D

Either way, I enjoy your bot, and I suppose if the code was release, I'd enjoy it even more... Either way, keep up the good work. :wink:
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

haha....that does look to good of quality to be done in vb....i use a lot of c++ but thats just me
tone
TazX2k
Addict
Addict

Post by TazX2k »

Ummm... ill give out the source.... i think aim would be better off with this service. i just dont want people to change the constants SN & PW and claim it as their own service. i would like to have this open source where everyone works on it but we keep it as one service instead of everyone creating their own service. or maybe we can form a group of coders and keep the source in a closed group that is only open to people serious on working on the project. i dunno tell me what you guys think, how about some FTP space and a website, does messageserver.org sound good? we can even make a web interface (cgi) and a login so you can check your pending messages or send one, or better yet how about if we combine messageserver with email???.. ooo the ideas are flowing, lol. i don't have a problem giving out the source but i would rather we kept it in a small group just so everyone doesent go out and make their own service. together we can get a lot more done. i dunno guys you tell me. How about if we get some space from Big-O?

Give Feedback... Lots of it! and write a lot.
And plasma... who's the girl?

Joe Ventura
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Awesome! I love you man :D

Ok I think that a small group would be a great idea. Since it's your code you should decide how many and who (I'm thinking very small). We all swear on the wellbeing of our manhood not to give out the code lol...

I think together we can really accomplish alot! I think it would be great if we could login to the bot itself to check our messages. But it wouldn't IM them to us, it would link us to an html page that had them, that way if there were alot it wouldn't flood :)

I'm excited 8)

Oh yeah.. I am good at graphics work (for the website or whatever we need)