Here's how to remove "Playing Game" away message

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

jester22c

Here's how to remove "Playing Game" away message

Post by jester22c »

Ok let's try this again :) I had it posted before the database incident but I thought it was worth posting again for all of those who didn't get a chance to fix it yet.

Ok here's what you do:

Open up AimRes.dll in your favorite resource hacker. In the strings table directory open the subdir 57 and then the 1033 item inside.

Now to get rid of the "Playing Game" away message we look at line 910. Now don't go deleting it because that will just replace it with a in your away message list. Instead of deleting it you need to change it to something else. I changed it to an away message that I already had in my list and then deleted the old one.

Now recompile and save your changes to AimRes.dll, then close AIM and reopen it and you're set to go :)
SLeeVE

Post by SLeeVE »

Just curious but why would you ever need to do this? Why don't you just not select that away message? Maybe I'm missing something, set me straight.
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Well I know for me personally it's just annoying to have in my list because I never use it, and there is just something about it being undeletable that makes it even worse. I know I'm not the only one that was annoyed by it so I decided to fix it. If it doesn't bother you, then great, little things like that just get on my nerves I guess.
SLeeVE

Post by SLeeVE »

Thats cool. Little things get on my nerves too. I feel your pain man.
voltron

Post by voltron »

Or you could just rename the Playing Game one in the Away Message options in AIM
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

voltron wrote:Or you could just rename the Playing Game one in the Away Message options in AIM

Well that's the whole deal. You can't rename it. You can edit it but it's still named "Playing Game" without the little fix I listed above.
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

this is making me mad because i cannot save the changes i made to aimres.dll
tone
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

t0ne wrote:this is making me mad because i cannot save the changes i made to aimres.dll

Make sure AIM is closed first...
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

ok thanks.......i was running two aims and i signed off one and forgot about the other one thats why i couldnt save...ok im good now
tone
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

t0ne wrote:ok thanks.......i was running two aims and i signed off one and forgot about the other one thats why i couldnt save...ok im good now

No problem, glad you got it working :)
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Okay umm..I made the changes to Aimres.dll with the resource hacker i have, and everything saved okay. Even the away message I replaced it with is there. One problem though, My "Playing Game" away message is still there...did I do something wrong??
sweeney
Addict
Addict

Post by sweeney »

Sweeney wrote:Okay umm..I made the changes to Aimres.dll with the resource hacker i have, and everything saved okay. Even the away message I replaced it with is there. One problem though, My "Playing Game" away message is still there...did I do something wrong??
nevermind..i figured it out, thanx anyways :D
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Lol sorry I didn't have time to respond in that 4 minute window there... I'm glad you got it to work.
:D
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Well of course anyone is going to have a problem post it.... and then solve it in record time (I do it all the time).
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

Also for deleting your "playing game" away message. If your comfortable using RegEdit, you can just delete the string from your registry.

*CAUTION* use at your own risk.. delete the wrong thing, and you may seriously screw your computer up.

Goto:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Users\xWastedMindx\IAmGoneList

From there look at the right panel, and if I'm not mistake it is "GoneMsg2" you want to change. Just modify it anyway you want. You can even use html tags to modify the appearance, but that would be easier within AIM itself.
Happy RegEdit'ing ... heh heh heh :P