What's your AIM "uptime" record?

Tricks, Hacks, Tools, other Add-ons, etc.

Moderators: Big-O Ryan, Big-O Mark

Big-O Ryan
Developer
Developer

What's your AIM "uptime" record?

Post by Big-O Ryan »

How long have you managed to stay connected to AIM without interruption?
-Ryan
Big-O Software
jester22c

Post by jester22c »

Not very long for me I'm still on a crappy 56k. The longest I've seen is 14 days done by a friend of mine on his dorm connection. Don't remember how many hours over 14 but I must say that's pretty impressive.
buster
Addict
Addict

Post by buster »

i have a screen shot of my other SN that waz on like 40 days or somethin like that. but i think smarterchild has the record, but i dunno
-buster
EvilJolly
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilJolly »

I'd have to say that the longest I've ever been on AIM was 7 months. I had a linux box using my alternate screenname on a UPS and the only thing that caused me to restart was my DSL service went down for about 10 minutes. I wasn't using actual AIM, but tik instead at the time. My record for AIM in windows is just a little over 2 months. I used to have contests with friends to see who could keep online the longest, and apparently someone sent me the little ̂ code and it crashed my AIM client. This was back when the current version of AIM was the vulnerable one and I didn't know about it yet.
Yibbley
Just Registered
Just Registered

keep getting disconnected...

Post by Yibbley »

Is there some secret to keeping a solid connection 'cause there are some days that just keep getting booted on and off. I also get constant warnings that my buddy list or buddy alerts are unavailable. I have a cable modem and a d-link 4 port router. Any suggestions?
Thyme
Addict
Addict

Post by Thyme »

I had 13 days AIM, 23 days uptime on my 2k box, then the power went out for longer than my UPS can do. The only thymes I've ever rebooted my linux boxes are when the power goes out :( ... the power is bad here so when the AC comes on the lights dim, too.
Puns don't kill people. People kill people... usually with guns, knives, or something else physically threatening... puns just don't quite cut it... unlike knives, which cut a lot of things...
Punny Buddy Icons: assbuddy.tk
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

DAMN THIS ALL TO HELL!!

i was just at 15 days and all of a sudden i get one of those damn "Buddy list lost" messages (wich also resets my damn connection time!).... *sigh*

lol, well, just because i aint got nuthin better to do, im gonna load up my version of AIM i made... lol, works with TIC, so ill see if this is any more reliable! :P

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
xpsypiex

Post by xpsypiex »

About 6 days was the max for me, on a 56k too.

jOHN
Plasma2002b
Extreme Groupie
Extreme Groupie

Post by Plasma2002b »

i would REALLY like to see some proof on that........ a dialup connection wouldnt stay connected that long.

its teh infamous life of brian gaut to teh max0r!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Wow I was on for 10 days once (Windows ("Trash") 98 ) . Maybe I should try on my 2000 machine...

**Edited cause a smile apeared instead of the 8
PhaseDMA - Check it out
My AIM+ FAQ
Big-O Mark
Shortbus Driver
Shortbus Driver

Post by Big-O Mark »

I hit 16 days while the Big-O site was down, but then the power went out and I lost it all :(. That's the hard part about Florida summers ... lots of electrical storms.
-Mark
Big-O Software
equasar
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by equasar »

Records for a windows machine. My personal record for AIM is 2 months 9 days and 6 hours... i'm not sure if it showed minutes or not. I wasn't even trying to stay up at the time but i was living in phoenix and going to college, my computer was always up. One day one of my friends emailed me with a screenshot of my uptime, i used to have it but i've seemed to lost it in the time... i've formated many, many times since then. If i find it i'll post it.
as for dialup i had a friend on a 56 k that was on for 6 days once then one of his proggies (3dMax i think crashed and he had to restart, it was just last week in fact.)

Yeah... that's it, first post on the forum. 8) i feel special now

equasar out
First learn the meaning of what you say, and then speak. - Epictetus
fuuucckkers

Post by fuuucckkers »

I hear you there Mark, I'm in Florida as well, along with electrical storms that knock power out, alot of stupid asses that dont know how to drive keep hitting our telephone poles, knocking out power to certain areas.

But the most I had my uptime was about 2 weeks..15 days I think. Then Road Runner decided they would provide maintenence to our local area, and shut our connection off for about 4 hours.

*EDIT*
Yeah... that's it, first post on the forum. i feel special now
Welcome to the Big-O forums equasar.. happy posting! 8)
punkster103
Addict
Addict

Post by punkster103 »

I also have a crappy dial-up connection, so the longest I've probably ever stayed on is 3 days or so, just because I'll open up SoulSeek and queue a whole lot of music and let it run forever :P
Prouderesterest Moderator of the Schwippy.com forums.
Look! I can make an egg stand up on the first day of spring and winter! Can you? :D
tone
Fanatic
Fanatic

Post by tone »

well i am on cable and i leave mine on all the time but the longest i have had was only 16 days 6 hours and 54 minutes, my mom needed to print something and logged me off oh well i leave my aim on for a while get a screen shot and see how longi can get it
tone